Toyota Looks To Unseat Gm/ford

dcfish

Toyota already passed GM in domestic car sales this summer. The Camry is the best selling car in the use 8 of the alst 9 years, aeraging 400-430,000 cars a year. They've already increased 2007 Camry production to 450,000 units. Keep in mind... The Camry came out in March. They're missing months of lead time.

Those things are selling like hotcakes.

Toyota has doubled the order of Camry's produced on the Subaru line in Indiana.

Production capacity is projected to be north of 500,000 units, and the Camry is slated to break 450,000 car sales in one year for the first time since the Impala did it in 1978.

Truck sales are 50,000 units under the projection tho. :(

Toyota already passed GM in domestic car sales this summer. The Camry is the best selling car in the use 8 of the alst 9 years, aeraging 400-430,000 cars a year. They've already increased 2007 Camry production to 450,000 units. Keep in mind... The Camry came out in March. They're missing months of lead time.

Those things are selling like hotcakes.

Toyota has doubled the order of Camry's produced on the Subaru line in Indiana.

Production capacity is projected to be north of 500,000 units, and the Camry is slated to break 450,000 car sales in one year for the first time since the Impala did it in 1978.

Truck sales are 50,000 units under the projection tho. :(

Is toyota turning into the juggler on a unicycle in the auto world ? ( for lack of better term )

With this hastening to build more, I'm concerned about possible reductions in product quality.
That's a good point. Although still very few, we see a lot more recalls from Toyota than we have in the past. They always seem to catch them very early on though...
Is toyota turning into the juggler on a unicycle in the auto world ? ( for lack of better term )
I don't think so. Toyota is a great car maker; their trucks/suvs leave something to be desired. With the exception of the Rav, most of them don't sell very high volumes. Ughh, and the new Tundra, I don't know if it's the pictures, but it looks very small, and low to the ground--almost like an El Camino! LOL

With this hastening to build more, I'm concerned about possible reductions in product quality.
That's a good point. Although still very few, we see a lot more recalls from Toyota than we have in the past. They always seem to catch them very early on though...
I don't think so. Toyota is a great car maker; their trucks/suvs leave something to be desired. With the exception of the Rav, most of them don't sell very high volumes. Ughh, and the new Tundra, I don't know if it's the pictures, but it looks very small, and low to the ground--almost like an El Camino! LOL

The El Camino/ Ranchero were in a class of there own and are still desirable vehicles, Even today. Nuff of that. :whistles:

I think truck sales in general are slow at this time :ph34r: , Even going into the winter months. :unsure:

The El Camino/ Ranchero were in a class of there own and are still desirable vehicles, Even today. Nuff of that. :whistles:
I'm well aware of that, and I didn't mean it as an insult to those vehicles. All I meant was that they look like small, car-like trucks compared to the competition.

Yeah you know, they couldn't sell enough of those El Camino like Subaru Bajas...

The reason GM stopped producing the El Camino is that it became financially unprofitable to do so. If they were so desirable, they'd still be made. Nuff of that.

And if you've been around Toyotas as much as I have, the changes in quality are apparent. They're still very high quality vehicles, but they're not nearly as over-engineered as they used to be.

The El Camino/ Ranchero were in a class of there own and are still desirable vehicles, Even today. Nuff of that.:whistles:
I'm well aware of that, and I didn't mean it as an insult to those vehicles. All I meant was that they look like small, car-like trucks compared to the competition.

I didn't take it as any type of insult, And ( Nuff of that ) is only so we don't drag out the elcamino debate. Back on topic :cheers: I have recently seen and sat in a tundra @ Carlson Toyota and they are a roomy and fairly large truck, I didn't test drive, I was picking up some oil filters at the time. But I have to agree with sw that the quality is not what it used to be. I had a 89 camry that was built like a tank and a half and there is little comparison in todays toyotas. I wish I still had that car :cries:

well lets not sit by the fireplace in the retirement home and think about the old days...

Considering other car companies, were lucky to have the quality from toyota that exists, unlike those german rivals, cough cough "Mercedes as of past 1994"

well the article also mentioned they were going to try to put a stop to the recalls, so maybe they will increase cars and keep the built quality. they are japanese you know... :lol:

well lets not sit by the fireplace in the retirement home and think about the old days...

Considering other car companies, were lucky to have the quality from toyota that exists, unlike those german rivals, cough cough "Mercedes as of past 1994"

well the article also mentioned they were going to try to put a stop to the recalls, so maybe they will increase cars and keep the built quality. they are japanese you know... :lol:

http://dailynews.att.net/cgi-bin/news?e=pu...4lo0&src=ap

You know why Mercedes had such degredation in product quality after 1994? They tried to increase their volume and lower their prices because of pressure from Lexus.