Bought A Clesior (aka Ls400) Have Some Questions

unilateral_disgust

hello im new to the forum all though i have been coming here for a while i finally decided to sign up last night. After reading all the rants and raves about ls 400's i wanted one, and this past saturday i settled on a right hand drive 1991 toyota celsior that had been imported from japan not too long ago and has reasonably low km's. im hoping you ls 400 guru's can help me out with some problems that i've noticed.

first off ofcourse my climate controle lcd has black screen syndrom so i was thinking of sending it to mikado for a rebuild. i have read allot about the lcd problem on this forum and mikado has been mentioned many a time and seems reliable, but shipping it all the way from canada may be an expensive route if any one has more info on rebuilt lcd's results please let me know.

second my hood struts are out of gas, another common problem i have read about in these cars so working on any thing involving the engine is a problem and requiers me cramming in a stick to hold up the hood. i may have found a place http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...m?siteid=213808 to order actual lexus hood struts from but they say hood lift cylinders i was assuming these are the same as hood struts? they cost 63 dollars each but thats better then dealership prices.

third my sub is craking when i have music on i want to replace it but from my understanding there is a built in amp in the sub does any one know of an easy replacement for these subs or will it requier me running an additional amp to power any after market sub i put in. and what about aftermarket mp3/cd players i wanted one with 2mb storage so i could put songs from my ipod on to it but i read that you loose your sub putting a different cd player in is that true if so how can i change it so i can still have all 7 speekers going?

fourth my celsior seems to be running rich, if i start it up get out and go around to the back i can clearly smell gas also my rpms are high, maybe 1000 or so i checked out my air filter today and i found it pretty dirty i am planning on replaceing the spark plugs and wires to hopfully lower my rpms (and possibly a rod millen racing intake) but could it be a bad egr or pcv valve that is causeing that rich smell of gasoline?

any help would be apriciated thanks.

Send the screen through Canada post and it should be cheap .Make sure it is returned in a package stating that it is a return repair and not a new unit.

Hood struts are about $60 for the pair on eBay.

If your sub cracks ad want a ipod then replace the whole thing it is easier and cheaper to upgrade.

Need a carbon cleaning as well as all major tune up parts done first.

Hiya,

Althought the std sub isn't bad for factory fit, it's well matched with the small amp.

If you want to replace the sub you'll struggle to get a low enough RMS rated aftermarket unit.

It's not that big a job to replace both and you will get much more sound, the LS boot is well sealed and acts as an enclosure so mounting most subs from underneath the rear shelf via the trunk will be fine.

I hung a 15" sub under there with an amp I had kicking around, sounds great!

The output from the factory head unit to the tiny amp in the boot is low level, if you use aftermarket head unit and std amp you have to input one low level (RCA lead) to the amp, wiring diagram is V easy to understand, I'm sure there's one to pull from internet, if not e-mail me and I'll send you the PDF.

i saw that website before and i was thinking of doing the hood struts that way but only as a last resort.

and does any one know if celsior's have egr's usually its right infornt of the pcv valve but tonight i wanted to check to see if my egr vlave was dirty and if i could clean it but there was nothing there. no egr wtf?!?! i just cojured up a logical explination and i assumed japan has less strict emission controls if any one knows what toyota did with my egr plz tell me.

oh i found this place http://parts.lextreme.com/interior.html to order an lcd from has any one gone this route and is the site reliable?

• 1 month later...