Timing Belt Change

jncooper

My 1998 ES300 has 82,000 miles. It has a 3.0 Liter 200 HP engine four cam 24-valve V6 engine with eletronic fuel injection. (according to original window sticker).

Is this an interference engine? How long till I need to replace belts?

It has never been tuned-up but runs good include mileage? We use middle grade gas.

What s the consequence of not tuning it up now? What will I gain? :)

My 1998 ES300 has 82,000 miles. It has a 3.0 Liter 200 HP engine four cam 24-valve V6 engine with eletronic fuel injection. (according to original window sticker).

It has never been tuned-up but runs good include mileage? We use middle grade gas.

If your timing belt goes... you will gain a new car :)

I waited until 145,000 before I changed mine but I would not do it again- it is worth the peace of mind knowing it won't destroy your engine

I waited until 145,000 before I changed mine but I would not do it again- it is worth the peace of mind knowing it won't destroy your engine

just did mine today (106K), but on the 98 es300 the timing belt can break and it won't do any damage to your engine. if you search these forums there are threads about how this generation of toyotas/lexus engines don't really get hurt if the belt breaks. you'd be stranded, but it shouldn't damage your engine.

I just had a timing belt at 100K miles. I would highly recommend a water pump change as well at the time because it is so easy to do when you do the timing belt. It was only about $45 in labor extra plus the cost of the pump. Total was $770 for everything including new spark plugs and wires. Don't wait do it once it gets to 90K because if it breaks you can kiss that car go bye.

just did mine today (106K), but on the 98 es300 the timing belt can break and it won't do any damage to your engine. if you search these forums there are threads about how this generation of toyotas/lexus engines don't really get hurt if the belt breaks. you'd be stranded, but it shouldn't damage your engine.

I called Lexus in Pittsburgh yesterday & they assured me that my ES-300 3.0 WAS NOT a INTERFERENCE ENGINE and that I could go to 90,0000 miles. (Thanks for help.)

Don't wait do it once it gets to 90K because if it breaks you can kiss that car go bye.

TRUE if >2001

NOT true if <2001 model year.

So you are saying if the car is older than 2001 then a broken TB will not screw up the engine?

I thought it would be the other way around.

Don't wait do it once it gets to 90K because if it breaks you can kiss that car go bye.

TRUE if >2001

NOT true if <2001 model year.

So you are saying if the car is older than 2001 then a broken TB will not screw up the engine?

I thought it would be the other way around.

I think you are right. I was thinking that if the car is newer, >2001 you are bad bad

...........................................................If old then 2001, <2001, you are fine. Depends on how you look at it. I should be better at this..

if i just got a 99 ES300 with 120k miles and the past owner does not know if the timing belt has been replaced, is there a way to check without taking things apart...? sigh

Depends; My lexus dealer put a sticker inside the eng conpartment and it is in the puter at Lexus. It not lexus, you would need to see where he might have had it done.

I also think you might bad able to tell by looking at it. Not you, but someone who knows what to look fo, unless you do.

Maybe it is like a normal dive belt, I have no idea.

I'm afraid that I'm still confused. :cries:

Does anyone have specific info on which ES model years have the NON-INTERFERENCE engine and which ES model years have the INTERFERENCE engine?

yes.

If the engine is VVT-i then it is interference. The i actually stands for Intelligence but I remeber it as interference. The 1MZ-FE engines came out with VVT-i in 1999.

Any 1MZ-FE engine pre-1999 is VVT so no "i" which translates to non- or no interference.

got that?

steviej

I'm afraid that I'm still confused.:cries:

Does anyone have specific info on which ES model years have the NON-INTERFERENCE engine and which ES model years have the INTERFERENCE engine?

yes.

If the engine is VVT-i then it is interference. The i actually stands for Intelligence but I remeber it as interference. The 1MZ-FE engines came out with VVT-i in 1999.

Any 1MZ-FE engine pre-1999 is VVT so no "i" which translates to non- or no interference.

got that?

steviej

Got that, but....

The 1MZ-FE engine only goes back as far as the 1994 model ES300.

What about the 1992-1993 models with the 3VZ-FE engine? Interference or not?

Got that, but....

NON-INTERFERNECE,

I will put it another way, any ES with a V6 before 1999 is non-interference.

Got that, but....

NON-INTERFERNECE,

I will put it another way, any ES with a V6 before 1999 is non-interference.

Thanks for the good infomation .

If the car runs good why do I need to tune-up the engine? Both O2 sensors have been repaced & we use the good fuel grade. The mileage is excellent. It was my understanding the plugs were good for 100,000. The airfilter & oil was change regularly.