1999 Rx 300 Saved My Life!

lexusforever

Hello All,

I'm new to this forum and not sure if this topic should be here.

Just wanted to share an Experience with everyone. We have a 1999 RX 300 with 100,000 miles. It is in perfect condition.

Last week, a family was driving the care when someone at high speeds hit the car on the passenger side. The Lexus ended up rolling over 5 times. There was only one person in the vechicle. And, lucky to say, The person did not sustain any injuries except for a lot of bruising!!! No internal injuires, No broken bones, No Lacerations!!!!!

This was a horrific accident!!!! The airbags did not deploy because it was a side collison impact, which I later learned is a good thing. the newer RX 330's have curtain airbags for rollover to protect the occupants from glass...

The bottom line is that this veichle saved someone's life!!!!

Alot of people say that even though it's a great car, it might not be as sturdy as a Mercedes or a BMW...But that's just not the case... It held up incredibly!!!!

I will be posting pictures next week..................

o gosh...i feel sorry for the person in the car. was it a loved one? or family? or both really? lol

well good to hear that the car saved the life. My dad is one of those guys who always says, lexus makes light weight cars that will not stand a chance in a crash...but yeah, i guess it just all depends. Hope all is well!

oh and welcome to the forum

Thank God for that.

No, Actually thank Lexus. And thank yourself for being smart enough to own a safe car.

Its funny to think that people still have the mentality that big, heavy tank-like vehicles are so safe. The racing industry has proven for years that impact absorbtion and dissipation are what save lives. Sure sturdiness counts too , when its in the right places as is seems to be in the RX sereis. I've told the story of how a guy plowed into my RX with a little Toyota PU truck. His truck was demolished with damage to the hood, fender, grill, radiator, heck, everything in the front of the thing was smashed. On top of that the wheel was bent out a a very unnatural angle so it couldnt even be pushed off to the side. Before I got out of my RX I was sure there was a ton of damage but I was shocked t find that all he'd done was scratch and gouge the hellout of my front bumpoer cover. Not even a broken headlight or cover. Now this was truly lucky I understand that, It could have easily smashed my grille etc. but the bumper wasnt bent or anything else. Thats the difference between a 10,000 truck and 30,000 truck, I guess

I had a female co-worker who got in a rollover accident with her Mom's RX300. She remembered the car being so smooth and couldn't tell she was speeding. She tried to avoid rear ending a car but hit another, lost control and eventually tipped over several times. The car was totalled of course. She did not give us time to visit her at the hospital, because she was back to work in 3 days with shoulder bruised, one leg on a cast and minor scratch on her face.

When it came time for me to buy my first luxury SUV, of course I choose the RX. I was convinced the car will hold up well on accident. We still joke about her accident from time to time. :)

I say two bad wrecks that involved Lexus that the people walked away from with no injury. This was one factor that started me looking at Lexus. Glad to hear that your loved one is fine.

Jeff

[font=Comic Sans Ms]

Thanks jeff and everyone else...Yes we are very lucky...Wait till you see the pics....So now I am in the processs of buying a new Suv, and was seriously looking at the Mercedes Benz ML 350 2006....Since the 2007's just came out, they are being discounted $5000-6000. I figure you can't go wrong because it a Mercedes, especially when all I'm thinking is Safety.... But then I find out that not only does it have the same number of airbags as the RX 330, it does not have the front knee airbags, and in the rear, it's an option to have small side airbags in the door!!!! I mean it's actually an option to have rear airbags!!! Granted that Lexus does not offer rear airbags except for the curtain airbags....This is supposed to be the best car company in the world, and they charge for safety, what a shame....I was immediately turned off by that and have decided that what worked the first time will of course work again the second time....Of course, the 2007 MB ml350 now has the rear airbags standard, but the point is that you shouldn't have to be charged for every little single item....We are already paying a premium for these cars....

Anyway, No wonder Toyota is the best selling car company on the planet!!!! They must be doing something right.....

some people get sick of it...me...ive had two RX series already. Seriously thinking about buying the hybrid later in life

Were they both from the 2nd generation? well obviously you'd get sick of buying an RX if you buy more than one of the same generation. Now if you buy one from every generation, you'd still be excited about getting another RX. ;) I should have gotten an RX if the GX never came out. When I first saw pictures of this, new breed, the GX470, I instantly wanted this vehicle. Since my RX got into a minor rear end accident, my mom got sick of seeing the car (because it reminds her of the RX) and that was my chance at a GX. She wanted something bigger, more powerful. Gas mileage wasnt a factor though back then.... If it was, I would have waited for the RX330 to come out 3 months later than the time I got my GX.

I do plan on getting another RX... I was going to get a 2007 RX 350, but then just saw a 2005 RX 330 Thundercloud edition and fell in love with it...I found a couple with Navigation with under 20,000 miles for around $35,000-37,000.... I would like to get a GX 470, but a little out of my price range, I'll have to wait a couple of years for that.....But no doubt in my mind about getting another RX....especially with Navi..

I do plan on getting another RX... I was going to get a 2007 RX 350, but then just saw a 2005 RX 330 Thundercloud edition and fell in love with it...I found a couple with Navigation with under 20,000 miles for around $35,000-37,000.... I would like to get a GX 470, but a little out of my price range, I'll have to wait a couple of years for that.....But no doubt in my mind about getting another RX....especially with Navi..

there are some GX470s in your price range, but i think the mileage on them are around 50k and they're 03 models. A lot of them hav Navi, and some may even have the old Lexus Link on them. Well it's up to you. At least you stuck with Lexus! :cheers:

Well actually, I was going to buy a brand new GX... They are not selling to well from what I'e been told and there are dealers in Florida selling them totally loaded with Navi under 50K, which makes me want to get one really badly...I live in PA and all the lexus dealers here keep saying that they don't give out discounts...I guess that they are used to their huge mark ups on the vechicles...But I have found that down south, Lexus SUV's are selling cheaper than the ones in PA, especially used ones that are only 1 yead old....

to give you an exampl, I just missed this deal by about an hour...there was a 2005 silver Thundercloud edition with 15,200miles in Tampa,FL in Mint condition at a dealership that sold for $35,220....Up north, I found the exact same car with 18,000 milesand the dealer will not budge at their $39,900 asking price....Also, Carmax has 2 thundercloud editions without Navi with 20.000 miles each and they don't negotiate and they are asking $38k and change....

Anyway, I still can't believe the maekup on these SUV's when you look at the Kelly blue book price...But nonetheless, I will wait for the new GX to come out, hopefully it doesn't have the same fate as the LX(has it ever been redeigned except for the minor stuff?).....Until then, here I come Thundercloud!!!!!!

Comparing prices between new and used is tough, its a lot harder to find out what a dealer actually paid for a used car than for a new car, so targeting what the net profit is isn't as easy. If PA dealers aren't negotiating on new GXs though that seems strange.

Well actually, I was going to buy a brand new GX... They are not selling to well from what I'e been told and there are dealers in Florida selling them totally loaded with Navi under 50K, which makes me want to get one really badly...I live in PA and all the lexus dealers here keep saying that they don't give out discounts...I guess that they are used to their huge mark ups on the vechicles...But I have found that down south, Lexus SUV's are selling cheaper than the ones in PA, especially used ones that are only 1 yead old....

to give you an exampl, I just missed this deal by about an hour...there was a 2005 silver Thundercloud edition with 15,200miles in Tampa,FL in Mint condition at a dealership that sold for $35,220....Up north, I found the exact same car with 18,000 milesand the dealer will not budge at their $39,900 asking price....Also, Carmax has 2 thundercloud editions without Navi with 20.000 miles each and they don't negotiate and they are asking $38k and change....

Anyway, I still can't believe the maekup on these SUV's when you look at the Kelly blue book price...But nonetheless, I will wait for the new GX to come out, hopefully it doesn't have the same fate as the LX(has it ever been redeigned except for the minor stuff?).....Until then, here I come Thundercloud!!!!!!

I love the thundercloud colors, i wish lexus made a medium gray like that color in their running line. The rest of what is on a thundercloud is mainly gingerbread in my opinion, i had serioulsy considered one before i purchased the 400h, however i would get the new gx or the rx 350 for the improved nav screen, xm radio and hopefully improved transmission.