Towing Capacity Of Lx470 2004?

Norboo

I just googled max towing capacity of LX470 2004 and got 5000LBS on some sites and 6500LBS on others.

What is the max towing capacity of LX 470 2004? Does the towing package come with brake light attachments? If so, where is it located?

Thank you.

I think there are two ratings, depending on what kind of hitch you have. Is it factory installed, or dealer/outside installed??? I THINK (not really sure) factory installed might be 5,500lbs and the dealer is 6k lbs.

I saw this guy at my company who had what looks like a mini big-rig. Looks just like the cab on a 18 wheeler, but just slightly smaller. You could probably tow a 35-footer over the Rockies with one of those! I think the towing capacity on my new LC/LX Kaymar tow bumper is around 3500 kg.

towing capacity is 5000lbs with the factory installed hitch,and 6500lbs with the add on hitch, i have a hidden hitch, of interest towing capacity in Australia is 72000lbs to 7800lbs depending which state you live in, i have heard 8200lbs in some places, they are very conservative here in north America, it is a legal thing.

At least we know the Landcruiser/LX470 vehicle itself in the sense of the strength of the frame is capable of towing the 3500 kg (7700 lbs). OTOH, if your tongue weight is 750 lbs plus add in 4 passengers@ 170 lbs per person, you're up to 1430 lbs, which EXCEEDS the AHC max rating (I think it's ~ 1250 lbs including passengers). I know one guy in Australia who tows more than the max rating on his AHC, but he did a lot of research and installed these air bags (in the rear springs) for the case when he tows with a full load of passengers & gear. Otherwise, he runs no air in the bags. This is the only way to tow on the LX w/ AHC if your load exceeds the max weight and still maintain the three height settings.

After getting my LX470 back from the dealer (week) to have my Navigation system replaced (covered under warranty), I checked my manual and with the dealer. They both said “5000 lbs”.

If the car can pull more than 5000lbs, I would need to replace the tow hitch to an after market? If I added weight distribution system, I can pull up to 6000 lbs.

This means, I would have to shop for trailer that is quality and weighs the least.

What is a good trailer manufacturer that manufactures the lightest trailers?

After getting my LX470 back from the dealer (week) to have my Navigation system replaced (covered under warranty), I checked my manual and with the dealer. They both said “5000 lbs”.

If the car can pull more than 5000lbs, I would need to replace the tow hitch to an after market? If I added weight distribution system, I can pull up to 6000 lbs.

This means, I would have to shop for trailer that is quality and weighs the least.

What is a good trailer manufacturer that manufactures the lightest trailers?

No idea about brands of trailers. Is the OEM trailer hitch that bolts to the 4 holes behind the plastic cover in the bumper rated at 5000 lbs? It looks kind of flimsy for that much. The drawtite towbar my vehicle came with weighs like 40 lbs, was bolted to the bottom of the chassis with 5 bolts. The bolt spacing was probably like 6" apart, so the stress was being distributed over a larger area. The little OEM one puts all 4 bolts at nearly the same location...maybe not a good idea?

The other thing you may have to consider is the tongue weight. Addition of Air Bags to the rear suspension may be necessary to accomodate the weight. The Transmission should also have additional cooling.

This is little confusing.

I just read Lexus LX470 and Toyota Land Cruiser are rated for 6500 lbs by Trailer Boat Magazine.

Could this be wrong? Also…

Reese Towpower Trailer Hitch

Lexus Lx470 Trailer Hitch

Fits: 1998 to 2006 Lexus Lx470

Brand: Reese Towpower

Notes: Class III/IV; Custom Fit Professional; Trailer Hitch; 7500 lb. Gross Trailer Weight/12000 lb. Weight Distributing; 750 lb. Tongue Weight/1200 lb. Weight Distributing;

What are facts and fictions?

Reese Towpower Trailer Hitch

2006 Tow Guide by Trailer Boat Magizine

I would say that your vehicle is probably the same as a Toyota Tundra, 6200 to 6800 lbs tow capacity.

The reese hitch may be tow rated to 12k lbs for safety, but your vehicle is still only 6200 or so lbs tow rated.

Dont forget, did your vehicle have the tow package with the larger transmission cooler?

My manual stated 5000lbs as max capacity and so did the dealer.

I am founding out that many other LX470 04’ are rated for 6500 lbs. How can I get mine to tow 6500 lbs?

Does the 04’ come with transmission cooler? What do I need to do to my LX to tow at max capacity safely?

Heavy duty brakes? Hitch rated higher than max capacity? Suspension?

I am founding out that many other LX470 04’ are rated for 6500 lbs. How can I get mine to tow 6500 lbs?

Does the 04’ come with transmission cooler? What do I need to do to my LX to tow at max capacity safely?

Does noboddy read the replies? 5000lbs with the hitch that comes with the vehicle, if you add a hitch, i installed a hidden hitch then you can tow 6500lbs.

Does noboddy read the replies? 5000lbs with the hitch that comes with the vehicle, if you add a hitch, i installed a hidden hitch then you can tow 6500lbs.

What kind did you get? And are you towing over 5000 lbs? Did you add anything else?

thanks

• 1 month later...

The Landcruisers and LX470s prior to 2003 had an optional Class III hitch under the bumper and they were rated for 6500 lbs. In 2003 the bumpers came standard with a built-in hitch that was rated at 5000 lbs. If you install one of the "old style" hitches, then it will handle 6500 lbs. The 7500 lb hitch likely is a rating with a weight distributing configuration.

My 03 had the class III hitch that bolts underneath to the chassis, tranny cooler, 7-pin socket. It also has the integrated hitch in the bumper (I heard the bolt-underneath towbar was last installed in 03. )The trailer wiring for the 03+ is different than earlier LC's/LX's. There is no longer a 6-pin plug in the rear right corner (that allows access to separate turning/brake signals). So to separate the signals like when towing a vehicle, you have to splice in an extra converter box.