Boo Hoo

Yesterday, I was driving down a regular 2 way street when I attempted to pass a slower car in front of me. When I pressed on the gas a little more, I noticed that the tach moved from 2100 to 6000 rpm's with no accelleration. It didn't dawn on my as to what was happening. I tried it again and nothing. I rolled into a nearby parking lot and noticed that I had no gears. I tried R,D,2,L and it was like the car is stuck in N. I popped the hood and checked my transmission fluid (the car was off but was at normal operating temp). THe level was normal but the fluid was dirty. When I got back in the car, it started just fine and when I put it in D, the car made a slight move foreward like it was ready to move. I put the hood down and drove the car normally up the street. It accellerated normally until I got to a red light. When the light turned green, the car felt like it was in Neutral again. I had the car towed to my house and it is just sitting there? My check enging light also came on when it wouldn't accelerate. Is there any way I can check the codes without taking it to Autozone (which is 12 miles away)? Any troubleshooting techniques that anyone knows about?

I had the car hooked up to a computer and it gives me a P0500 code. What does that mean? My mechanic told me the Tranny needs to be replaced with that code but I want to get more information.

Old story so I'll condense it a little.

I got my ES 300 from my brother in law who was told it had a dead transmission. SAME SYMPTOMS, exactly.

I got a new radiator and she has been running fine ever since. I did flush the transmission fluid and A/C gas. But she worked well when she was cool and as soon as she warmed up, failure to shift. No indication on thermostat.

Mine cost $134.00.

Good luck!

rosie

My same reply as clublexus. :)

P0500 is the speed sensor. The transmission most likely just can't figure out which gear it needs to be in. it's hard for a computer to figure it out when all it knows is how far you're pushing the pedal & what rpm the enigne at. It may be faulty enough so that it doesn't know to start in first gear, bawahahahahahahahahaha!

rosecityrain, in your case, the cooler flow was likely blocked, causing poor fluid pressure in the transmission - in which case the thing doesn't have enough strength to hold all the parts together to keep you in gear. That, or it was overheating & the computer put it in a limp mode to save the transmission from major damage.

P0500 is the speed sensor. The transmission most likely just can't figure out which gear it needs to be in. it's hard for a computer to figure it out when all it knows is how far you're pushing the pedal & what rpm the enigne at. It may be faulty enough so that it doesn't know to start in first gear, bawahahahahahahahahaha!

rosecityrain, in your case, the cooler flow was likely blocked, causing poor fluid pressure in the transmission - in which case the thing doesn't have enough strength to hold all the parts together to keep you in gear. That, or it was overheating & the computer put it in a limp mode to save the transmission from major damage.

Toysrme is one smart motha

JT

Toysrme is one smart motha

JT

aint he. i look at him like the God of lexus, keeep it coming, u to skperformance, you all are the men, kudos to u

I agree with Toys if replacing the rad fixed the problem one of 2 things happened. The new fluid with fresh cleaning agents flushed the blockage which you had or there was a major blockage in the rad cooler which is pretty much unheard of . I would lean to the new fluid cleaning it not the rad.

On this thread it would be a speed sensor issue which can reek havoc. Fix it before figuring out your next issue if there is any after.

Exactly. 'cause our transmission fluid doesn't cool in the radiator. There's another cooler sitting right infront of it on our car that cools the tranny fluid. They swapped to the in-radiator cooler, years later. So me & steve were wrong to some degree <hah pun>. :) But, the ECU still looks at post radiator, and post engine fluid temps & regulates the transmission shifting from limp/warm up mode to normal based on it. So you were overheating & that caused the ecu to lock out the transmission when it went in limp mode.

I digress. Useless trivia.