• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the problem?

This weekend was fun.

I replaced my air filter with the K&N stock replacement filter.

I also replaced my plugs with NGK platinums and the OEM High-tension cables with Bosche.

MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I haven't had my muffler work done yet and I can feel a HUGE surge of HP.

While the torque isn't there (convereter here we come), but once it gets going it throws me back in the seat.....NICE!!!

I'll post some pics of my muffler set up as soon as its done. I'm going to replace everything aft of the center cat first, then I'm going to replace the cats per your recommendation.

What's the problem?

This weekend was fun.

I also replaced my plugs with NGK platinums and the OEM High-tension cables with Bosche.

MAN WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! I haven't had my muffler work done yet and I can feel a HUGE surge of HP.

While the torque isn't there (convereter here we come), but once it gets going it throws me back in the seat.....NICE!!!

I'll post some pics of my muffler set up as soon as its done. I'm going to replace everything aft of the center cat first, then I'm going to replace the cats per your recommendation.

Your existing filter, plugs and wires must have really been in bad shape...I happy you got some gains from that, you on your way...The exhaust mods and torque converter will do wonders...

What's the problem?

This weekend was fun.

Your existing filter, plugs and wires must have really been in bad shape...I happy you got some gains from that, you on your way...The exhaust mods and torque converter will do wonders...

I just finished my custom cold air intake this weekend and love it. If you're lookin for a throaty sound and a torque and hp boost then its definately worth it. I got an MAF adapter on ebay, some intake piping and couplers from autozone, and about an hour of work.

post-26847-1161658645_thumb.jpg

95 SC400 - Nice intake...It appears you did alot of custom work to make the cold air box in case the pod filter....Does the air flow still come from under the headlight like stock, or did you channel up from under the wheel well?....

Any larger pictures by any chance to better show your design?.....Again good work I am impressed..... ;)

95 SC400 - Nice intake...It appears you did alot of custom work to make the cold air box in case the pod filter....Does the air flow still come from under the headlight like stock, or did you channel up from under the wheel well?....

Any larger pictures by any chance to better show your design?.....Again good work I am impressed..... ;)

Thanks Jibbby, the filter is actually just below the sheet metal that was under the stock intake box. All i did was cut a hole, and just connect my pipes down through it. The filter isnt incased in anything it just sits there sucking up cold air and making a nice deep sound when accelerating. I definately feel a boost in hp and even more in torque. I dont know if this is better then the BFI setup but i imagine it would be because before i went cold air i had my filter just sitting in the stock spot. It was great when car was cold, but once it warmed up, it felt like i was in a go kart. Another thing i should mention for those who are thinking about doing an intake, dont replace the tube before the MAF, its unique design and special resonator help keep its power. I've read and heard that changing that pipe with one such as an injen will actually decrease power. So look for parts seperatly on ebay or other auto stores. its an overall better and cheaper way to go. I also included more pictures so you can have a better idea of what i did and how the filter is getting its air.

post-26847-1161726496_thumb.jpg

post-26847-1161726504_thumb.jpg

post-26847-1161726531_thumb.jpg

What's the problem?

This weekend was fun.

Chasecroft-

Sorry bro, Magnaflow oval mufflers are one of the more quiter performance mufflers....For the more expensive choice the BLitz Nur rear exhaust system is one of the best for sound and performance...THe price reflects at around $700 or so......I would go with Magnaflow for mufflers and high flowing cats for your needs and wants...Not to pricey either....There are really so many to choose from.....

Thanks Jibbby, the filter is actually just below the sheet metal that was under the stock intake box. All i did was cut a hole, and just connect my pipes down through it. The filter isnt incased in anything it just sits there sucking up cold air and making a nice deep sound when accelerating. I definately feel a boost in hp and even more in torque. I dont know if this is better then the BFI setup but i imagine it would be because before i went cold air i had my filter just sitting in the stock spot. It was great when car was cold, but once it warmed up, it felt like i was in a go kart. Another thing i should mention for those who are thinking about doing an intake, dont replace the tube before the MAF, its unique design and special resonator help keep its power. I've read and heard that changing that pipe with one such as an injen will actually decrease power. So look for parts seperatly on ebay or other auto stores. its an overall better and cheaper way to go. I also included more pictures so you can have a better idea of what i did and how the filter is getting its air.

Wow, that is an interesting design....Not to discredit anything you did, but two things come to mind with your setup, first that pod filter is offered no protection from the elements and should get dirty or wet very quickly which will cause intake problems...Secondly, your air flow intake is not channeled or funneled to hit or flow into the pod filer like the BFI intake design to make addition horsepower......

Let us know how your setup works over time? Getting the filter dirty would be my biggest concern....All the credit though for your creativity...

My pod filter is inside the engine bay and somewhat protected from the elements and still it gets dirty real fast...Every 4 to 6 months I need to clean the filter pod and clean/spray the throttle body just to keep the idle running smoothe and steady...Just something to think about.....

lol aight my question was ignored so nvm

I second Jibby's Magnaflow recommendation! I just got mine back yesterday and it sounds SUPERB!! It has a nice V8 tone, but not an obnoxiously loud or with any burbling. I haven't replaced the cats yet, but I expect slightly more noise when I complete that mod, but it'll still be classy, but bad-A**! I removed everything aft of the center/rear cat and replaced it with 2.25" piping (minus huge resonators) that are straighter/more direct towards the mufflers. Then I replaced the stock mufflers with Magnaflow offset 2.25" in/out piped high-flow mufflers (part # 14335) from Hottexhaust (fast and efficient and cheapest around... http://www.hottexhaust.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=14335). They hung the mufflers using the existing bracket on the car. Next I replaced the tips with Magnaflows oval, angle cut tips, which are 4.5"x3.5"x7.5"from AutoAnything (also fast, efficient & cheap... http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts-muffl...A2468A0A0.aspx). I had them extend the tips out an additonal inch, so they'd hang out there about 2.5-3" further than stock. I liked the way it looked initially, but now I think I would rather have then back an inch. It'll work perfectly when I get a rear airdam, but right now it may be too far (I'll post pics soon).

It has a nice rich tone at start, idle and cruise, followed by a much deeper/richer tone with throttle. I LOVE it! Just with this mod (as well as the Bosche wire, NGK plugs and K&N stock box replacement air filter), without the future cat replacement, I can tell a HUGE difference. It's still a bit of a torqueless wonder, but once it gets going its smooth a sin and fast as hell. You will not be disappointed. The only issue I had was with the shop. They make their money off the overpricing the parts (by100%), so don't be surprised if they insist on charging a bit more per hour to compensate (I paid ~$60/hr versus $50...normally they would have charged me $70 for bringing my own parts in, but I argued my point well enough).

Good luck homey! :cheers:

Thanks for your info Jibbby, i was just curious as to what you use to clean your throttle body. Plus instead of cleaning this filter with all those oils and what not i will just get an AEM dry flow filter once this one is dirty. You also mentioned that i might have intake problems later on if i dont cover the filter, what sort of problems? and whats your suggestion on how to protect it?

Chase Croft - im not a master at exhausts but i got 2 oval magnaflows, like Jibbby and GaDawg recomended installed on my car about a month ago. It has a nice deep tone at low rpms and i also noticed a bit of hp gain at higher rpms. You can always just get muffler s installed and if thats not loud enough for you , remove your resonators, that should be loud enough and deep enough. Plus its a lot cheaper then $700 , but its up to you.

95 SC400 - To clean the throttle body I remove the snorkel tube and spray STP carb cleaner directly into the throttle body and butterfly area...I try to keep the car running while doing this, but you will have to hold the throttle down a bit manually as the car will stall on it's own once the snorkel tube is removed and pushed to the side..Keeping the car running helps with the cleaning process...I do this every 4 to 6 months... This helps steady a bouncing or rough idle.....

Intake, problems that may happen - when you drive in a rain storm that pod filter might get saturated and wet...Bad sensor MAF reads and loss of power may occure...The pod filters will keep out most dirt and debri's but some of the fine stuff will pass and dirty up your throttle body causing an unsteady idle over time...No big problems will occure... My suggestions would be to move the pod filter back up to the stock filter position and funnel and or channel the air flow with scoops to hit the pod filter directly...That is what I did...That way the filter is not directly hit by the elements when driving....Best would be to also make a metal box around the pod filter to sheild out engine heat which robs you of horse power.....Good luck man I hope it all works out for you....

Dawg - When you change out to high flowing Cats your noise levels will not increase....Changing out the stock restrictive mufflers is really what makes these cars loud...Even with my headers to my suprise I only picked up maybe 10 percent more noise....Typical with any performance muffler when installed on these SC400's the noise levels are increased at higher rpm's...If you need your exhaust to be less noisy just install a set of high flowing circular resonators on the back half section of the exhaust...Oval shaped Magnaflow mufflers and a set of circular high flowing resonators should bring the exhaust sounds back or close too the stock sounding noise levels....

My car sounds close to stock at low rpms, but really gets loud when I hammer it...I have straight thru mufflers , 4 resonators, headers, larger piping...I can drive it mellow and it does not draw attention, over half throttle heads start turning...That is with my setup...Oval mufflers are much quieter then the circular straight thru mufflers....

95 SC400 - To clean the throttle body I remove the snorkel tube and spray STP carb cleaner directly into the throttle body and butterfly area...I try to keep the car running while doing this, but you will have to hold the throttle down a bit manually as the car will stall on it's own once the snorkel tube is removed and pushed to the side..Keeping the car running helps with the cleaning process...I do this every 4 to 6 months... This helps steady a bouncing or rough idle.....

Intake, problems that may happen - when you drive in a rain storm that pod filter might get saturated and wet...Bad sensor MAF reads and loss of power may occure...The pod filters will keep out most dirt and debri's but some of the fine stuff will pass and dirty up your throttle body causing an unsteady idle over time...No big problems will occure... My suggestions would be to move the pod filter back up to the stock filter position and funnel and or channel the air flow with scoops to hit the pod filter directly...That is what I did...That way the filter is not directly hit by the elements when driving....Best would be to also make a metal box around the pod filter to sheild out engine heat which robs you of horse power.....Good luck man I hope it all works out for you....

Dawg - When you change out to high flowing Cats your noise levels will not increase....Changing out the stock restrictive mufflers is really what makes these cars loud...Even with my headers to my suprise I only picked up maybe 10 percent more noise....Typical with any performance muffler when installed on these SC400's the noise levels are increased at higher rpm's...If you need your exhaust to be less noisy just install a set of high flowing circular resonators on the back half section of the exhaust...Oval shaped Magnaflow mufflers and a set of circular high flowing resonators should bring the exhaust sounds back or close too the stock sounding noise levels....

My car sounds close to stock at low rpms, but really gets loud when I hammer it...I have straight thru mufflers , 4 resonators, headers, larger piping...I can drive it mellow and it does not draw attention, over half throttle heads start turning...That is with my setup...Oval mufflers are much quieter then the circular straight thru mufflers....

Thanks Jibbby thats was really helpful!

thankyou for all the responses guys, i think i might replace the whole cat, and i think im gonna get dual tips so theres 4 in all, i like that look :-)

i appreciate the input and i'll take it to heart

these are the only exhausts i've found that specifically fit the SC400

http://www.luxurymods.com/ProductList.php?...14&fid=1001

if you could give me a link to the stuff ur talkin bout i would really appreciate it, the blitz cat system you were talkin bout really sounds good jibby so hit me with a link to that if you could

and a cat system is the entire exhaust system right, mufflers, piping, and converter?

sorry for the confusion im new at this...

i jus want to know which parts do i need to buy to replace the entire exhaust and what comes apart of a cat back system (any other parts in it)

and what should i buy everything from bc u've said only mufflers from there so far

thankyou so much,

chase

Jibbby,

I love my set up now. :D It's nice to know that the noise won't increase without the cats because I like it the way it is and its BAD A**. It's not overbearing or attention drawing, but it does let everyone around know that there's a V8 lurking under that yacht-like hood. I will replace the cats for the additional HP gains. Total cost = parts ($234.86) and labor ($250) came out to $484.86 for the whole set up, minus the cat work.

I have one question on throttle response...I generally have good response when I push down the pedal, but ther is a slight gap there that sometimes leads to a surge forward when I'm pressing down. Is this because my throttle cable is loose? Is it my torque converter? Or is it that my throttle body needs cleaning like you described to 95 SC400? Where is the snorkel tube? I have a pretty good CD manual from eBAy, but you could get me there without having to dig in.

Dawg

If you really want to search for exhaust systems to buy for the SC400 go to the forum Clublexus.com then go to the forum section, then "Sc300/Sc400" section and use the search function "type SC400 exhaust" and you will find more info then you can read....They have write ups on every type of exhaust available for the Sc's...Check it out, same goes for the intake designs....Very comprehensive....

Jibbby,

I love my set up now. :D It's nice to know that the noise won't increase without the cats because I like it the way it is and its BAD A**. It's not overbearing or attention drawing, but it does let everyone around know that there's a V8 lurking under that yacht-like hood. I will replace the cats for the additional HP gains. Total cost = parts ($234.86) and labor ($250) came out to $484.86 for the whole set up, minus the cat work.

I have one question on throttle response...I generally have good response when I push down the pedal, but ther is a slight gap there that sometimes leads to a surge forward when I'm pressing down. Is this because my throttle cable is loose? Is it my torque converter? Or is it that my throttle body needs cleaning like you described to 95 SC400? Where is the snorkel tube? I have a pretty good CD manual from eBAy, but you could get me there without having to dig in.

Dawg

Gdawg, if you have an unsteady idle or bouncing idle when stopped then I would say it is a dirty throttle body...The snokle tube is that big plastic circular tube which connects to the throttle body and travels almost down to the filter...You can't miss it....Remove that with like 4 bolts then the throttle body is exposed....

Lack of launching power from a dead stop is normal and caused by the very weak stock torque converter...Surges could be several other things..

GDawg - did notice nice gains when you changed out the mufflers? Curious as I have never actuallyu used the Magnaflows just read alot about them, and a few buddies told me they are nice......

thankyou for all the responses guys, i think i might replace the whole cat, and i think im gonna get dual tips so theres 4 in all, i like that look :-)

i appreciate the input and i'll take it to heart

these are the only exhausts i've found that specifically fit the SC400

http://www.luxurymods.com/ProductList.php?...14&fid=1001

if you could give me a link to the stuff ur talkin bout i would really appreciate it, the blitz cat system you were talkin bout really sounds good jibby so hit me with a link to that if you could

and a cat system is the entire exhaust system right, mufflers, piping, and converter?

sorry for the confusion im new at this...

i jus want to know which parts do i need to buy to replace the entire exhaust and what comes apart of a cat back system (any other parts in it)

and what should i buy everything from bc u've said only mufflers from there so far

thankyou so much,

chase

Jibbby will correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll give it a shot.

Hit the HottExhaust and AutoAnything sites to find the most choices I've found...and man did I look!

Here's a site for the Blitz...

http://www.optionimports.com/scseries.html

http://www.overboost.com/obs/browse_cat.as...Exhaust+Systems

Magnaflow Cats..

http://www.car-sound.com/02product/shopdis...0&cat=SC400

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performa...2&year=1994

Call these guys, their pretty helpful. While a lot of book sshow our rear cats as a single in/out, you need the 2-in-1 for the center and either the foward cats with or without the oxygen sensor. Magnaflow Cat...

Single:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...me=STRK:MESE:IT

2-in1:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=8072154583

One thing I found VERY apparent when searching for mufflers and exhaust systems for the SC is that there is VERY little out there that is listed as specific for it. However, there are plenty of universal components (from very reputable manufacturers) and set ups you can go with. I had my exhaust aft of the center cat replaced with the piping bent to fit around the differential and other suspension components in a way that is a close to straight as possible, then went with the Magnaflow mufflers and tips. With this I avoided havign to buy the entire piping/exhaust set up. I went with the oval offsets because they fit into the stock bracket set up, but you can easily go with the straight, round shape like the Blitz but pay a LOT less with Magnaflow or Jibby's Megan NI style. Then you can pick your own choice of tips. If you go with the dual ended tips on each side you'll have to bring them out far enough to clear the bumper, so be careful how long you get them because it'll look pretty screwed up if they hang out past the bumper. As far as replacing the cats, we can replace each of the three cats with Magnaflows and leave the stock piping between the two forward and center cats, as well as the stock piping up to the resonators without any problems or major cost.

It's obviously your call, but you can easily spoend twice as much as what I've spent and will spend to get something that's not going to give you any more HP with a "slightly" different sound, but not a difference worth the dough. As you have probably read throughout this thread, I have gone over this time and agian with Jibby and I've seen the light. Just my 2 cents trying to help out a fellow Southern boy :cheers: , but we all know everything we do with these things is to put our own spin on it.

Cheers,

Dawg

thanks so much man i found those links very helpful

still confused on the anatomy of an SC exhaust system specifically

theres 2 front cats, and the center is a convert? is that correct?

and then that goes out to 2 different mufflers and tailpipes

and what exactly is a cat system does that replace everything including the cats, converters, mufflers and tail pipes; basically all of it except the exhaust manifold/header?

thanks,

chase

Jibby,

'It idles perfectly, but it hesitates at launch. So based on your second comment, I can fix it with a new Dragon Torque Converter...then it must be done.

The Magnflows are nice. I notice some gains (5-10 more HP), but I expect the big gain after your suggested cat replacement. I bought the offset oval polished stainless Magnaflow mufflers (part # 14335) to keep more of a stock look with a little bling. They are not straight through liek yours, so there may a hair of back pressure compaired to yours, but MUCH moire flow than stock. BTW, my stock mufflers had water sloshing around in there...nice...and man they are heavy as hell. Love to take weight off wherever I can.

thanks so much man i found those links very helpful

still confused on the anatomy of an SC exhaust system specifically

theres 2 front cats, and the center is a convert? is that correct?

and then that goes out to 2 different mufflers and tailpipes

and what exactly is a cat system does that replace everything including the cats, converters, mufflers and tail pipes; basically all of it except the exhaust manifold/header?

thanks,

chase

Just aft of the engine the headers converge from 4 pipes to 1 on each side of the engine. The single end of the header attaches to a single in/out cat with the oxygen sensor immediately after it. These two pipes (one from each cat on each side) converge into a third cat, which is the rear/center cat, which in turn refocuses the exhaust into a single pipe. This pipe travels an additional ~14" to a Y junction. This Y piece splits the exhaust back out into two pipes, which then travel to a HUGE resonator on each side; these are there to reduce sound, but they cause a MAJOR loss of back pressure in my opinion...lose 'em for MUCH better flow and killer sound! Then after the exhaust travels through the resonators, the pipe resumes in 2.5" pipes to each of the two mufflers/tail pipes.

A cat-back system includes everything from the behind the cat to the tailpipe, it doesn't replace the cat, hence it s name cat-BACK (after the cat). I had custom work done from just aft of the Y junction to the mufflers, then had them hang the mufflers/tips of my choice. If you buy a cat back system, it usually includes stainless steel pipes (vice aluminized steel), muffler, tips, all of it, as a package...that's why they're so expensive. So, if you went with a cat-back set up, you will still need to replace the cats (and headers if you want to all the way). This is exactly why I went with the custom pipe route; I got the same effect, looks, etc..., for a fraction of the cost. If I went ALL the way and TOTALLY refurbed this car, then I might consider a cat-back for looks (polished) and long term durability (stainless vs. aluminized steel); when I say durability, I mean LONG, LONG-term because the alumized steel is still steel. The only thing that's different with a cat-back IMO is that you can install yourself, while the custom work is above 99.9% of our abilities. Removing bolts and reinstalling cat backs are not terribly cosmic from what I can tell, its when you have to cut and bend pipes when it gets to be too much.

Jibby...thoughts?

Dawg - When you hammer the car and it goes nowhere fast that is the torque converter... I remember that feel years ago when my car was stock...Now I tap the gas and off I go...Night and Day..

I am suprised you did not get better gains when changing out the mufflers. I noticed a big difference but then again I am using straight thru mufflers and not ovals...Oh, and yes the stock mufflers weighed alot and were very restrictive...That is the main reason they are so quiet....If you upgrade or better yet delete the three cats you will see even more power gains, but mostly at top end.....Have fun and don't break the bank...Horsepower is addictive...

Dawg - When you hammer the car and it goes nowhere fast that is the torque converter... I remember that feel years ago when my car was stock...Now I tap the gas and off I go...Night and Day..

I am suprised you did not get better gains when changing out the mufflers. I noticed a big difference but then again I am using straight thru mufflers and not ovals...Oh, and yes the stock mufflers weighed alot and were very restrictive...That is the main reason they are so quiet....If you upgrade or better yet delete the three cats you will see even more power gains, but mostly at top end.....Have fun and don't break the bank...Horsepower is addictive...

Jibby,

I think I may be underestimating the power gains a bit. When I get it in that sweet torque band (3K rpm) it screams. I will definitely get the torque converter after I take care of the cats. You mentioned that you had to add a transmission cooler because of the Dragon, where did you get it and how much was it?

I've found the single Magnaflow cats, but I haven't found the 2-in-1 Magnaflow cat...any idea where I can get it?

How about tightening the throttle cable? I read on some thread where this guy tightened his throttle cable to take up some of the slack, making his SC more responsive.

Jibby,

I think I may be underestimating the power gains a bit. When I get it in that sweet torque band (3K rpm) it screams. I will definitely get the torque converter after I take care of the cats. You mentioned that you had to add a transmission cooler because of the Dragon, where did you get it and how much was it?

I've found the single Magnaflow cats, but I haven't found the 2-in-1 Magnaflow cat...any idea where I can get it?

How about tightening the throttle cable? I read on some thread where this guy tightened his throttle cable to take up some of the slack, making his SC more responsive.

I got the tranny cooler for the power output I am producing and not because of the torque converter...You do not need a tranny cooler with a torque converter change...You need a tranny cooler when you slap a 100whp Nitrous system on your SC.... Don't sweat the cooler...

Try Ebay, Supershops, and maybe try google search for "magnaflow cats" and see what comes up....

Throttle cable is not the problem...I have never heard of the throttle cables ever being an issue with the Lexus's..I have been around these cars for years and years...Don't know where you heard that one bro.. If your car is sluggesh at take offs, and you think it is a mechanical problem, change the fuel filters, spark plugs wires, caps and rotors, clean the throttle body, and lastly replace the main negative battery cable...You should see some benefits to those changes... Rarely would your problem be from clogged cats, Electrical and or ECU problems, and lastly a bad sensor read....(usually the check engine light will flash if it is ECU or a bad sensor) Those are some things to consider...