Result Of Mods To Sc400

Yes the Aussie made Eaton M90 will fit right on any 400 Lexus motor... It was made to fit and run on that motor and also fit under the hood of the SC400 as well. It needs to be ordered from Austrailia which sucks..Higher shipping costs...The M90's are not the best choice for forced air induction as it has it's limitations... $5000 for 100hp is alot to swallow....

Not a powerful supercharger kit as many later dump them for turbo charging.... I know for me I couldn't live with the M90....But that is all the supercharger you can really fit under the hood...Limited space for larger superchargers in the SC and LS4's and that is the problem....

Single turbo charging is becoming more and more popular with these 4.0L Lexus motors.... If you know what you are doing you can turbo charge your Lexus for a couple of thousand dollars...

Again, Lextreme.com has many thread reads on how to turbo charge the 1uz-fe 4.0L Lexus motors...Not to defer from this forum but Lextreme is for the hardcore lexus modifiers like myself...

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stock limits to SC400, LS400, GS400's all years....

- 1uz-fe motor - 400whp, 500 foot pounds of torque safetly....Although few have pushed the stock pistons and rods to 500whp without failure with a fine tune... Not recommended over the long haul in my opinion...

- Transmission (auto) - 350whp safetly....Torque is the real killer..My tranny blew at 500 foot pounds of torque with only aprox.. 300whp...My tranny had 100,000 miles and was perfectly maintained... Others experienced failure at around those marks as well.... A safe limit I would say would be 375whp and 400 ft pounds of torque.. Any more and you could give up the ghost...

- Driveshafts - 550whp or so, again torque will snap the shaft.....I would think the shaft could handle 600 ft pounds of torque from my experiences...

- Differential and independant axles ????? - Can handle alot of HP's...I won't even try and guess..

Thought I would share these finds with those that may wonder how much power their lexus's can handle... The transmission are the weakest points of failure when modifying for big HP... Look to swap or upgrade when venturing over the 400whp mark...

I think I'll go with DASH USA in Michigan who refurbishes the cluster as the stock appearance, but with better, brighter, longer-lasting lighting.

I will have the LCD repair company's contact info at home, so I'll have to get it later. They repair the units for dealers, as well as the eBayer who sells them for $335. You send them your HVAC (pay for shipment to them), then they replace every single bulb, as well as repair the LCD for $195 (includes shipping back to you). They said they can turn it around in a day. You could send it to them on Friday, they would have it back to you by Monday. I got their name from my Dad's Lexus dealer in Atlanta who has had success with them = reputable, trust-worthy; they're out there in Cali (Bay area). They didn't used to deal with individuals, but decided to change their practices and help some of us out without the middle man.

If you would like their contact info, I'll gladly pass it on. Hopefully, I'll be able to send mine in for repair sometime next week.

Dawg..I sent my Cluster out of my ES300 to DASHUSA and they did a fantastic job..more expensive then LEXTECH by a long shot but Warranteed their work too!!!

Hey Jibby I know Im off topic with this but I know you can help me. (I dont know crap)

Im tryin to get some ideas on how to get my 94 SC300 (automatic) to preform better. In the next few weeks I'll be putting on Tein coilovers, and I got 9" wide hankook tires in the rear, needless to say handeling will be superior.

Now I plan to follow a couple of mods you've done like-

Some sort of intake (I only have cone filter), do you know if my cars intake is compatible with the GS00, or IS.

Also do you think I should do Dragon torque conv. first, or do the rear end , I dont need to top at 145mph, and 0-40 is WAY too slow on these cars.

Electric cooling fan is on the list, and maybe even a little 50 shot of nos someday.

PLEASE HELP WITH ANY AND ALL IDEAS ON WHAT I CAN DO

Thanks alot Jibby I really appreciate it.

Your handling will be much improved over stock with your coilovers and rims...

Best mod on your list would be the Torque converter upgrade...Precision Industries "Dragon T.C." or Lextreme.com torque converters should do the trick for you...That mod alone will make your lexus bolt 0-40mph...Night and day over stock....

Forget about the Pod filters (they suck in too much engine heat which robs horsepower) Go with the BFI intake design found at (planetsoarer.com)..It's a cheaper alternative and works even better then my intake design...

Forget about the LSD (rearend) until you get the adequate horsepower and torque converter change to even get those rears spinning from launch..

Very good improvements can be found with simple exhaust mod's...Highflowing cat converters, high flowing mufflers, high flowing Y's, headers and larger rear mandrel exhaust piping will yeild you some very nice topend gains... The stock Lexus exhaust systems are very restrictive....

Lastly for $500 an Apexi SAFC piggy back system installed and a good engine tune may give you as much as 10 or 20hp gains... All topend...

Hope that helps...

I actually read all 11 pages, good information on this thread.

How about the Rod Millen motorsports rear end exhaust mufflers? They are priced at $550 in luxurymods.com. Are they worth the price or would the magna flow or megan circular racing would be just fine?

If anyone is interested in this thread, I can continue further with more mods.. I understand this is not a Lexus performance forum, but you guys don't know what your missing out on....There is alot of potential in these small V8 engines...Many restrictions at factory....

Nice job - your 92 is same color as my 96 sc 400. the intake U put together is nice - I think

Millen makes a complete intake for 92-95. i like all the pics it's a great look'in ride.

However the 96 I'm riding has little chance of getting an air intake (unless it's custom)

so it appears stock is where i stay at least for now - there's NO sence in improving 1 end

of the air flow w/o doing the other.

wpk813

I actually read all 11 pages, good information on this thread.

How about the Rod Millen motorsports rear end exhaust mufflers? They are priced at $550 in luxurymods.com. Are they worth the price or would the magna flow or megan circular racing would be just fine?

Congrats on reading all 11 pages, that's a feet all by itself.....

The straight thru Megans are cost effective, perform the best, but are loud...Oval mufflers are what I recommend for most, they are a bit less noisy...The Rod Millen exhaust I am sure will be wonderful, but even better if your willing to pay big bucks would be the Blitz Nur exhaust systems... Either one you can't go wrong...

If anyone is interested in this thread, I can continue further with more mods.. I understand this is not a Lexus performance forum, but you guys don't know what your missing out on....There is alot of potential in these small V8 engines...Many restrictions at factory....

Nice job - your 92 is same color as my 96 sc 400. the intake U put together is nice - I think

Millen makes a complete intake for 92-95. i like all the pics it's a great look'in ride.

However the 96 I'm riding has little chance of getting an air intake (unless it's custom)

so it appears stock is where i stay at least for now - there's NO sence in improving 1 end

of the air flow w/o doing the other.

wpk813

Thanks for perks on my 92 ride...It motors very well.... The 96 is a better car to build up then mine, got a few more ponies at stock over the 92's...

THe BFI is custum self made intake design... The stock intakes flow decent, so any intake mods you do you will not feel a difference....If your looking for power gains look into cost effective exhaust mods...

What is a Apexi SAFC piggy back system all about, and what exacly should a good engine tune consist of? (obviously a newbie)

Ok so the Dragon T.C. is now first priority, after I purchase the Tein coilovers, either the Basic or Superstreet series. I live down here in the San Diego area, can you recommend anyone up there on putting in that torque conv. I know a good place but I'd rather drive up there if I could save some money, or stress.

I have custom built dual 2.5" piping exhaust, pinched slightly at the bends, but topend out beats the v-tech and rsx-s.

Im deffinatley am going to look seriously into the BFI exhaust system, or atleast somthing with a completely enclosed air box keeping any warm air from the intake. I think my car is compatable with the GS or IS intakes but im not sure, any idea? (same 2jz-ge)

And how about some kinda racing chip, or computer? I've heard for some cars that can mean big power gains.

Thank you for your time.

The piggy back ECU is a little computer box that wires right into your existing cars computer which allows you to control and adjust the air and fuel mix which is being delivered to your motor...The Apexi piggy back ECU allows you to tune and adjust the air fuel mix being delivered to your motor. The idea is to increase or adjust fuel and air flow for peek performance which the stock computer cannot do alone...

The stock ECU (cars computer brain) is under tuned at production and there are good horsepower gains to be made with a Piggy back ECU and proper tune.... Once the Piggy back ECU is wired in an installed you will then be able to alter the fuel and air mixes thru the use of a Dyno test, Apexi plug and play, and a monitor and computer...Not a big deal for most tuners... That is the best as I can describe it...I gained approx. 10whp or 15hp with my installed and tuned piggy...

You may have heard of a "computer chip" for cars to ad performance, but really all that is a piggy back ECU...

Exhaust - 2.25 inch madrell piping is the best proven size for our SC4's... The 2.50 inch bent exhaust piping will work too and is a cost effective second choice that should yeild you some gains... When it's time to mod your exhaust just look at the exhaust system and think of a way with a muffler mechanic to help increase flow thru the system...Stream lining the piping is best.. Bends, curves, abrubt turns like at the Y's stops flow...

Torque converter - Any transmission shop should be able to perform a torque converter swap...A good price to have the job done would be about $300...They do have to drop the tranny to perform the swap... Bust out the Yellow pages in San Diego and call all the tranny shops for the best pricing...

• 2 weeks later...

Daisens..OK.....They have a spongy feel to them when first installed and riding, they mushroom out over time if not lubed continually...They don't have side housing to contain the rubber so the grease does not hold well, and the bushing break down and make noise over time...I think they are complete garbage to be honest....

OEM bushing would be a much better choice in my humble opinion...

Changing out your LCA lower bushing will tighten up the suspension feel, improve the steering feel, and basically give you a better ride feel especially if your current bushing are old and toasted... That's about the best I can explain it....

Man Jibby, I gotta thank you for two things. One, you supply everyone here with so much information, like countless others on this site I will use this as a solid guideline to the mods I will do to my SC. And two, this post was so interesting it forced me to skip my economics class ;b Thanks alot man, good info, and Ill let you guys know when I start on my mods. Most likley going to go in this order:

Tint Windows (Not really a mod but)

Cool Air Intake

Exhaust

Chip

And maybe a Turbo? (Depends on Income ;B)

Still going wow, I never thought this thread would be so popular...

I just figured when you search the forums looking for info on how to mod up a lex you need to search thru so many threads to find out all this info. and then you still end up confused.....I said maybe I can help some people out by compacting all the info needed on one thread from my experiences....

This thread really doesn't cover how to turbo charge or super charge your Lexus's though...I am still working on it and will try and ad a single turbo set up to this thread with pic's and how to info...List of parts, etc.. This thread really just covers the basic mods....Also interior and exterior cosmetic mods...

Glad you liked it anyway, sorry to hear you missed your class because of it, not good....

Whats up Jibbby. Im ready to purchase my exhaust system now. Im not sure which headers im going to go with. You said that you were extremely happy with your s&s headers but they are not true bolt on.

I was looking at the ektuning headers they are priced at $999, but they have a disclaimer stating that they are not legal for road use.

I dont know but i think ill go with the S&S headers what do you think about that?

Im also going with the blitz nur rear exhaust system and the dragon torque converter.

I saw the n 1 circular megan racing mufflers on ebay for $25.00 I dont know what to think about a muffler that sells for so cheap. The blitz are selling for $600 so i hope they turn out good.

This thread has kept going strong because it has good information and most readers use it as a guideline to modify thier sc's. I know i do.

Hey there.... In regards to your exhaust mods, I believe all the headers being sold for the Sc400's are not technically street legal...Why you may ask? Because once the headers are installed you need to delete the two smaller cats up front and the header install effects the EGR system which inturn effects smog emissions....... Not a big deal but it does throw out a check engine light also... The S&S Headers are not going to be cheaper because you will have to have exhaust parts custom made (down pipes with flange bolt patterns)...I just think the EKtunning headers and or Tex headers will fit perfectly and be less of a headache overall, you will actually save more money and they flow probably just as good...Installation will be a sinch in comparison... What ever header you choose they will all flow great and make a difference for sure...

N1 megan mufflers are cheap and are straight thru stainless steel mufflers but will be noisy...The blitz nur system is a complete rear exhaust section that comes with quieter flowing oval stainless steel mufflers and rear mandrel exhaust piping... The nur system is probably the best system you can buy that will keep noise levels at a minimum while giving you good exhaust flow... However, oval mufflers will never flow as well as straight thru circular mufflers, ever......PRICE does not matter when comparing quality between the two. The mufflers are both excellent, also both sets of mufflers are made with stainless steel and look good, both will last as long and detereriote at the same time, really not difference in material make up... However, I would go with the Blitz nur if I could do it all over again just to make the exhaust just a little quieter and also get that excellent rear exhaust piping that just bolts right on, but I would have been sacrificing just a little performance with the blitz exhaust flow.....

Hope that helps....Good luck with your mods they will make a noticeable difference..

Yea thats true i think ill go with the ektuning headers instead of the s&s headers. I rather keep it simple. The only thing i have to do now is find a good muffler shop in the bronx to install them.

so many options so many things that i want to do. i will be doing the following upgrades in the next couple of days.

1. ektuning.com headers. $999.00

2. dragon torque converter. $750.00

3. blitz nur rear mufflers. $600.00

4. kyb or tokico gas shocks. not sure which one to pick. They both cost around $300.

5. lower control arm bushings.

6. brand new headlights. once i replace my headlights with the new ones ill do the oven trick method that you mentioned clean them and put them on ebay to get my money back.

cant wait to see what the torque converter will do.

will i have to get that lsd that you was talking about to make my wheels spin? or will they spin just with the torque converter?

Once the torque converter is installed you will spin from launch... It will instantly make your Lexus bolt 0-40mph...Right now your Lexus is a slug 0-40mph...You will love that mod...

Remember the LSD gives power to both rear wheels, where as the stock open end differential usually powers only one rear wheel at a time... So with the torque converter mod your one wheel will spin like crazy...After your exhaust mods you may want to consider a Torsen or TRD LSD to get better traction...The LSD gives you traction at launch and will reduce wheel spin but increase speed....

Two other mods that are effective but are not on your list -

Look into the BFI intake at planetsoarer.com, it is almost free and can only help with performance...I saw that wasn't on your list...

Finally you may also want to consider a SAFC piggy back ECU and tune which increase fuel and air flow over your cars stock computer...Could give you an additional 20hp which is almost as good as headers....

I was going to leave the intake for last since i remember that you had mention that the lexus intake is not that restrictive, but if its almost free ill check it out.

where would i find the SAFC piggy back ECU.

and for the one wheel spinning i think that would be a problem with uneven tire wear. where can i find the trd lsd or torsen.

Thanks for your suggestions. My best friends has a clk 55 2002 convertible. I was just driving it today it has 340 hp but the wheels dont peel off. it does have alot of power doe.

I unofficially raced him with my gs300 AWD it was close for like 2 seconds then he left me behind. I want to be able to keep up or even beat him of the take off with my sc400.

All my past cars were leases so i dont really have experience with mods. Besides this SC the only other lexus i had owned was my first car the GS300 1994 now that car was a true slug. only mod i did was very loud music system with tv's etc and rims.

Im actually looking for a good GS300 1996 or 1997 to buy for my collection.

Yeah those Merc's are pretty fast, especially the AMG's...I have had trouble in the past hanging with the bigger AMG's like the E55... The topend power is very impressive on those 500hp AMG's...

Ok, the stock intake does flow decent but the BFI intake flows much better...With the change you probably won't feel any difference but the fact that the engine is able to breathe better is always a good thing...It's a virtually free mod, the BFI design uses the stock intake parts that you modify yourself...Nothing outperforms the BFI intake design, that is nothing that you can buy off the shelf and is street legal.....

You can buy an Apex-i SAFC II (piggy back ECU) on EBay, APexi website, etc...Buying the unit is no biggie they sell all over the place. I think it costs around $300... Any high performance import shop should point you in the right direction...It's about eight wires that connect directly into your stock ECU box that is located under the passenger side floor mat at the top.... Most Dyno shops do the tuning and piggy back ECU installation for usually around $200 tops... You need to bust out the yelow pages and call around for shops or even ask APEXI to refer you to a shop near your area... With that mod you will notice a difference for sure..The car should run crispier, more responsive, and stronger at the topend... The piggy back ECU deal should cost no more then $500 in total and that includes installation and tuning...

LSD - The 93-98 Supra TT LSD (AUTOMATIC TRANNY ONLY) and bolt right up perfectly to the SC400's... It's a perfect match with no alterations needed... Drop the old stock differential out and bolt up the Supra TT LSD and drive off with traction... The Manual tranny 93-98 Supra's rear differential LSD's won't work, different gearing..You need to get one off an automatic Supra TT 93-98... I found mine in one day at a local import junk yard here in LA.... You need to search, try Supra forums, import wreck yards, and just make calls.... I paid $500 for my used supra LSD about 3 years ago and it has been good to me ever since...

Hope this info helps....

I think I'll go with DASH USA in Michigan who refurbishes the cluster as the stock appearance, but with better, brighter, longer-lasting lighting.

I will have the LCD repair company's contact info at home, so I'll have to get it later. They repair the units for dealers, as well as the eBayer who sells them for $335. You send them your HVAC (pay for shipment to them), then they replace every single bulb, as well as repair the LCD for $195 (includes shipping back to you). They said they can turn it around in a day. You could send it to them on Friday, they would have it back to you by Monday. I got their name from my Dad's Lexus dealer in Atlanta who has had success with them = reputable, trust-worthy; they're out there in Cali (Bay area). They didn't used to deal with individuals, but decided to change their practices and help some of us out without the middle man.

If you would like their contact info, I'll gladly pass it on. Hopefully, I'll be able to send mine in for repair sometime next week.

Dawg..I sent my Cluster out of my ES300 to DASHUSA and they did a fantastic job..more expensive then LEXTECH by a long shot but Warranteed their work too!!!

Sorry, I've been off for a spell... :whistles:

Did they replace the needles with the larger, arrow-shaped ones on their eBay advertisement or do they still look stock?

Does the lighting still have the yellowish tint to it or is it a brighter color? I know it wouldn't be white like LexTech, but I hope it would be brighter than what I currently have.

How long did it take for them to do it? They told me, but I can't remember.

Once the torque converter is installed you will spin from launch... It will instantly make your Lexus bolt 0-40mph...Right now your Lexus is a slug 0-40mph...You will love that mod...

Remember the LSD gives power to both rear wheels, where as the stock open end differential usually powers only one rear wheel at a time... So with the torque converter mod your one wheel will spin like crazy...After your exhaust mods you may want to consider a Torsen or TRD LSD to get better traction...The LSD gives you traction at launch and will reduce wheel spin but increase speed....

Two other mods that are effective but are not on your list -

Look into the BFI intake at planetsoarer.com, it is almost free and can only help with performance...I saw that wasn't on your list...

Finally you may also want to consider a SAFC piggy back ECU and tune which increase fuel and air flow over your cars stock computer...Could give you an additional 20hp which is almost as good as headers....

Hey Jibbby,

Long time no speak...again.

I was TOTALLY sold on the TC mod, but this talk of the LSD has me hesitating...at least for now.

Will I notice the wheel spin in normal, spirited driving or only when punching it (re: really gettin' on it)?

I remember you saying that you don't like the Daizen bushings, is that all of them or just the upper arm bushing? I was looking into the Polyurethane Control Arm Bushing Kit, whatcha think? I've been a Bimmer guy for years, but I want better handling out of my SC, but I want to keep the luxury ride/feel. I plan on getting 18s all around, possibly lower slightly with some Teins, but other than that I want top keep the cruiser personality...I plan on also getting a new BMW 335i coupe for the handling side of the universe, but keep my SC as the brute force cruiser.

Hey GDAWG what's going on....The Torque Converter upgrade allows the car to perform just like stock, no wheel spin or head jerks when driving the car normally....However, hammer the gas at launch and the wheel or wheels will spin... The throttle is more responsive but nothing to be concerned about, the luxury will ride and feel of the car is not compromised with either the T.C. and or the LSD...

Also the Poly bushings will work fine, I just like the daisens.....Any control arm bushing replacements really help the ride and steering feel especially if you are driving an older SC with high miles... Just make sure a lot of grease is used when replacing the bushings....Lubrication is the key with any bushing replacements.. I highly recommend bushing changes for all the older Sc's...

Hey GDAWG what's going on....The Torque Converter upgrade allows the car to perform just like stock, no wheel spin or head jerks when driving the car normally....However, hammer the gas at launch and the wheel or wheels will spin... The throttle is more responsive but nothing to be concerned about, the luxury will ride and feel of the car is not compromised with either the T.C. and or the LSD...

Also the Poly bushings will work fine, I just like the daisens.....Any control arm bushing replacements really help the ride and steering feel especially if you are driving an older SC with high miles... Just make sure a lot of grease is used when replacing the bushings....Lubrication is the key with any bushing replacements.. I highly recommend bushing changes for all the older Sc's...

Cool, I'll go forward with the TC.

The polyurethane bushings are Daizens. They regularly go for $260 before tax, but I found a set near $200.

Mine is a '94 with 145K, so its time. The guy who did my exhasut work said their good, but the ride is a bit bumpier over rough stuff than I think it needs to be.

What am I gonna notice with new shocks/springs/coilovers? I assume better handling, or is that with new control arms? I think you mentioned before that you hated the Eibachs for their rough ride and that the Teins are nice for setting it just the way you want and maintains a nice feel....am I right?

GDawg - The suspension feel you are looking can be found with the Coilovers... They have different settings with variations so you can adjust the settings to your liking... The Eibachs are stiff lowering springs which increase handling and stiffness but decrease the luxury suspension feel... Shocks can stiffen up the ride a little bit but it's usually the springs that transform the suspension and feel...Control arm bushing replacement tighten up things and create a truer steering and suspension feel... That is the best I can explain it...

Good luck with those Daisens.....If you want to make the daisens last then keep them lubricated, because there is no steel ribbed sides on those bushings so the grease is not held in place and over time you get a mushroom effect with the bushings, noise, etc... Repeat bushing Lubrication should help maintain the bushings, hopefully...