Loud Sunroof 1993

the rubber gasket that fits around the window part and seals against the body has shrunk, dried or is torn. Happens to most exposed rubber at this age.

It should be replaceable. I replaced mine myself on my old SSEi and it shut the noise out once again.

Call your Lexus part guy and see what they want for a new gasket. It does involve taking the glass out.

For the time being if it is only dried, try soaking a cloth with spray silicone or a spray called Tri-Flo (spray teflon) and then run the cloth around the entire rubber gasket. This may rejuvenate it some.

steviej

• 4 months later...

I had wind issues on the sunroof of my 92.

I thought it was the seal as well, but as it turns out, the glass was misaligned and was below the outside roofline of the car...creating noise.

i got some shims from the lexus dealer. they come in a couple different sizes. now the sunroof is in line or slightly higher than the outside roofline and the wind noise completely disappeared.

to get to where the shims go you just need to remove the plastic trim on the interior side and slip them in between the glass and the bolts.

just dropping this on here in case anyone else has wind issues with the sunroof and its not related to seals...

It should be replaceable.  I replaced mine myself on my old SSEi and it shut the noise out once again.

Stevie you're right it should be replaceable, but how would our Lexus dealers make any money off of that :lol: . All joking aside, I talked to my Lexus dealer's part guy, and he gave me a price of almost $700 for a new sunroof glass :o . He said that the seal is built on to the glass itself, so that only allows you to either adjust it or replace it :( .

:cheers: