Transmission Filter Installation

Gumart1

Well I'm finally finishing my transmission fluid and filter change, including a good cleaning of the tranny solenoids thanks to Blake's help and recommendation.

I am also adding a tranny filter, the same one that I added to my power steering after a flush. It is directional, and I'd like to know which way is correct. I have removed the tranny hose at the radiator (driver's side). On Lexls's site, for a tranny fluid flush, it looks like the fluid flows not from the disconnected hose, but from the hard pipe inlet at the radiator. If that is correct then wouldn't I want the flow to go from the inlet towards the hose that connects to the tranny? I'm just confused that it is called an "inlet". Wouldn't it be an "outlet"?

OK I can probable answer my own question. When Lexls starts the car, fluid comes out of the inlet and not the disconnected hose, so the inlet has to be where the fluid flow is originating from, so the correct direction for the filter is from the inlet towards the hose. Maybe someone can confirm before I start the car...

If you do get it wrong you will know by the tranny acting weird from a low amount of pressure.

It is a one way bypass valve to all it will do is let the fluid bypass the filter if clogged to allow operation still.

It is nice to have it the wrong way as it takes seconds to change but lets you know how dirty it is by failing.

I tested my ES that way to find the flow , i am not sure if the valve way faulty or if i had it installed wrong ,either way it was only a few months.

i'd say test it. my 1990 ls is opposite of the car on lexls. i placed the disconnected hose in the bucket and needed no extra tubes. better safe than sorry.

Since you are doing the fluid change on your trany, can you tell me what trany fluild that you use for replacement? Because I can not find any trany fluid that match my LS400 ATF TYPE II OR IV. I call the dealer and they refuse to sale them.

Chuby - Call another Dealer. Or better yet call a Toyota Dealer. It's part#00279-000T4. I paid $3.40 per quart for a case at a local Toyota Dealer (Trying to upload a photo but getting an error message).

I took a short drive but didn't feel anything unusual. Will remove the hose and start the car to confirm fluid direction. I'm guessing my '91 will be the same as Lexls's '91. Thanks for the ideas.

Interesting note: Because it took me so long to work on the car, I managed to drain over 6 quarts just from dropping the pan! My fluid was excellent before the change, and nothing was under pressure, so I feel like I came pretty close to a 100% flush.

Chubyball...attached is a pic of the trans fluid use should buy.....& only this type.....LS400 transmission are sensitive.....buy from your local Toyota dealer....not the Lexus dealer...they are too expensive...

Pic wont attached......use Toyota ATF Type T-IV only.....do not use anything else except this type..

5ofakind

including a good cleaning of the tranny solenoids
Gumart1, did you find any deposits on the solenoids that needed to be scrubbed clean? Transmission fluid is such an excellent solvent that I have a hard time imagining any internal moving parts of the tranny could get "dirty"

Monarch - I did find that my solenoids appeared clean, but Blake had a tiny deposit on one of his solenoids that, when cleaned, made a big difference for him in the shifting. You are correct in that the entire tranny looked very clean overall. I have to add about 4 ounces of fluid to get my level perfect, so I can't comment on the improvements just yet, but I have a feeling that I am not seeing the improvement that I hoped for and that my tranny may be showing it's age. It shifts smoothly except for a hard downshift from 2 to 1. I also feel it engage harder than most LS's when I put it in gear. I've already replaced my tranny mount. I'm not against flushing, but I know this will support your point of view when I say that this LS has seen regular tranny fluid changes and no flushing and is still original at 253k miles and is still going strong. :)

I just recent call a few Toyota dealers for quoting per quart trany oil, and they told me 6.40/quart. This is crazy, I am going to call some place else this Monday. I am still not clear about how much oil do I need to refill, after remove the trany pan? I am planing to get a case for this job. I also thought removing the drain plug (without remove the pan) and refill some of the mount of the oil that I drain out some from trany, by repeating the work until I use all 12 quart I could replace 90 percent of the oil. What do you guys think?

Part # 00279-000t4-01 for the individual quart.Make sure you use Type IV.I talked with a guy at NAPA and he said he had an ATF plus 4 that would work for $4 a quart.I would just get some Toyota and be done with it.

• 8 months later...

Just paid $12 for two quarts including tax in Round Rock, TX. Classic Toyota, don't know what Lexus charges in Austin, but RR is just closer to work. Worth it to me! However, this thug waited on me in parts, I said, "I need 2 quarts T-IV ATF for my Lexus". His response, "This is a Toyota store". What a Jackass! "Just get me the ATF, I know where I am, thank you". Very unprofessionally dressed and a smart !Removed! to boot.