Shakedown Cruise For My Es350

amf1932

So far after about 200 miles of driving thru New York City traffic, New York City Thruway, I cannot fault the operation of this car in ANY respect!

The transmission shifted perfectly in either the "Drive mode" or the "Sequential mode". NO hesitation.......perfect shifting speeds.......no lagging........and most of all, extremely smooth shifts.

This proved to me that the problems with past ES's that were plagued with these problems was not because of the electronic throttle linkage, but because of something seriously wrong with the design in the transmissions.

I didn't have to learn how to overcome any of these shifting problems by driving the car a certain way.......IT JUST WORKED!!!

The acceleration is phenomenal.

The car is quieter then my '03ES, and the newly designed engine is as smooth as any car I've heard. BTW: This engine uses a timing chain instead of a belt.

My car came equipped with Michelin tires, but I don't know whether they'll put them on all the ES's that are not equipped with the UL option package. The tires are extremely quiet running at all speeds.

The new Mark Levinson radio...with surround sound is truly one of the best sounding car audio systems that I've ever heard, plus you can plug in an ipod player or integrate a satellite radio.

I don't have a bluetooth cell phone yet, so I can't comment about using this type of hookup.

All the other options work exactly as advertised.....great!

If I sound like I'm tickled pink...I sure am. :wub:

ES350combined.jpg

didnt you just buy the car last week? how do you have a license plate already...anyways

beautiful car, i love it! though something interesting to note, it would take me a while to get used to the RPM meter being on the left and the spedometer on the right...european cars usually have this type of layout, but i thought lexus was different.

Awesome Alan, glad you're enjoying it!

This proved to me that the problems with past ES's that were plagued with these problems was not because of the electronic throttle linkage, but because of something seriously wrong with the design in the transmissions.

I think its probably more along the lines of the electronic throttle is more advanced, and the transmission is better designed to integrate with it more seamlessly.

I don't have a bluetooth cell phone yet, so I can't comment about using this type of hookup.

You've gotta get one!

it would take me a while to get used to the RPM meter being on the left and the spedometer on the right...european cars usually have this type of layout, but i thought lexus was different.

I actually can't think of any Lexus that has the tach on the right, they all have the tach on the left.

LS:

00lexusls400green33.JPG

Old ES:

16_4.JPG

didnt you just buy the car last week? how do you have a license plate already...anyways

They do that here too, the dealer gives you plates instead of temporary tags if they're financing in house or you're buying in cash. I had tags for mine from the dealer too.

beautiful car, i love it! though something interesting to note, it would take me a while to get used to the RPM meter being on the left and the spedometer on the right...european cars usually have this type of layout, but i thought lexus was different.

I bought the car on May 11th. Everything was done in the dealers office.....re-registering my license plates, switching my insurance, and filling out some other papers. On the next day I drove my '03 ES in.....they hung my plates onto the new car.......gave them the Title and keys from the '03 ES.......then was given some instructions on the operation of some of the accessories, then off I went. :)

I think they like me. I've dealt with Bay Ridge Lexus(my third car) since the early '90's, because they threw in 2 Lexus caps and also a black windbreaker jacket emblazened with a Lexus logo. ;)

All I needed to give them for payment was my personal check, my '03 ES and that was it......a very nice transaction I might say. :P

Oh yeah.....one other thing I failed to mention......I inadvertently left about $10 in quarters that I stored in the dashboard cubby for parking meters on the '03 ES. So, when I went back the next day to retrieve them, low and behold.......they were missing! :censored: HeeHee....LOL

I think they like me. I've dealt with Bay Ridge Lexus(my third car) since the early '90's, because they threw in 2 Lexus caps and also a black windbreaker jacket emblazened with a Lexus logo. ;)

All I needed to give them for payment was my personal check, my '03 ES and that was it......a very nice transaction I might say. :P

They should like you LOL

Hey Alan, what are your thoughts on the styling and quality of the interior vs your 03? I didn't spend a lot of time with one, but I was a little dissapointed with how the interior looked vs the previous model in person. What do you think now that you've spent more time with it?

I sort of agree with you about the interior, so I'll break it down.

Storage:

The door pockets are smaller....less deep and shorter then the '03.

The center console opens up with 1 push of a button, and doesn't have 2 separate compartments like the '03.

This I don't like, since it's now one deep bin.......so when you store things and you have to get something from the bottom it could be a hassle.

The compartment above the rearview mirror won't store my sunglasses in it's own case because now it's slightly smaller.

The glove compartment will no longer store the leather folder that includes Owners Manuals and other stuff, mainly because it's grown to immense proportions.......so now I have to keep it in the trunk.

I think the oval instrument panel layout is pretty good, because it really is pretty practical. It doesn't feel strange after using it for awhile.

Entry and exiting the rear doors of this car is easier then the '03 since the door layout seems better.

Since there is no navigation computer in the trunk anymore it makes it easier to load luggage or other things.

The materials used in the interior are different then the '03's......but I don't think they're cheap looking....just different.

All these little annoyances fade into the background after you start the engine, shift into drive and feel like the car knows exactly what to do, with very little user intervention. I'm sure you know what I mean. LOL

The center console opens up with 1 push of a button, and doesn't have 2 separate compartments like the '03.

This I don't like, since it's now one deep bin.......so when you store things and you have to get something from the bottom it could be a hassle.

Yeah, and the way it opens back into the rear passenger compartment seems like it woulf annoy rear passengers.

The glove compartment will no longer store the leather folder that includes Owners Manuals and other stuff, mainly because it's grown to immense proportions.......so now I have to keep it in the trunk.

This is becoming a common problem with ALL carmakers LOL. The 03's takes up the whole thing anyways.

Entry and exiting the rear doors of this car is easier then the '03 since the door layout seems better.

Since there is no navigation computer in the trunk anymore it makes it easier to load luggage or other things.

I noticed this right away, the rear legroom is also better because the front seats aren't as big. The back seat of the 03 is really pretty cramped, and egress isn't as easy as it could be.

The materials used in the interior are different then the '03's......but I don't think they're cheap looking....just different.

Yeah, the materials are different in all the new Lexus cars, the grain in the padding just doesn't seem natural...

I guess it'll take some getting used to.

All these little annoyances fade into the background after you start the engine, shift into drive and feel like the car knows exactly what to do, with very little user intervention. I'm sure you know what I mean. LOL

I'm sure! I hope it stays that way for you.

I also just noticedin your pics, it has a MIST FUNCTION for the wipers! Why the previous one doesn't is anybody's guess.

Mine just cost me a grand so it gave me "the itch" for a few days and I started thinking about upgrading myself lol

I also just noticedin your pics, it has a MIST FUNCTION for the wipers! Why the previous one doesn't is anybody's guess.

That is the ONE thing I wish my 05 had. Realistically, it's not that big of a deal, but I had it on my previous car ('95 Avalon) and miss it on this one.

Can it be added on without tearing half the car apart? Or even at all? I've never even thought about asking the dealer about this.

No, it would be cost prohibitive to add it. I just spritz the washers.

There's a pretty big list of things I wish my 03 had, they've all been fixed in the ES350, some of them in the 05 330:

1. Mist feature for wipers (fixed in 07)

2. Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel (fixed in 07)

3. Sensor for fresh air/recirculation mode (fixed in 07)

4. Ultrasonic backup/rear camera (fixed in 07)

5. Auto tilt down side mirrors (fixed in 04)

6. More complete driver info center (fixed in 07)

That is the ONE thing I wish my 05 had. Realistically, it's not that big of a deal, but I had it on my previous car ('95 Avalon) and miss it on this one.

Can it be added on without tearing half the car apart? Or even at all? I've never even thought about asking the dealer about this.

What I don't get about the MIST function is that I have it on my 2002 Camry... but not on the 98 or on my mom's 02 ES. I guess lexus thought that mist was 'beneath them'.

No, other Lexus models have the mist feature. Can't explain it.

I have the mist function on both of lexus cars (IS300 '02 and Rx330 '04. It doesnt do anything, you pull the lever, the whipers goes once, and the lever pops back in place. Its sort of a one time use wiper type of thing. THough i never use it cause i have rain sensing wipers. nothing to fret about

No, other Lexus models have the mist feature. Can't explain it.

I have the mist function on both of lexus cars (IS300 '02 and Rx330 '04. It doesnt do anything, you pull the lever, the whipers goes once, and the lever pops back in place. Its sort of a one time use wiper type of thing. THough i never use it cause i have rain sensing wipers. nothing to fret about

My ES350 has rain sensing wipers and a mist position also, but I think it's a redundant feature.

I don't think its redundent at all. The rain sensing wipers are pretty inneffective when the windshield simply has light mist or gets sprayed with something. I activate the wipers manually for one wipe all the time.

dont get me started on rain sensing wipers...sometimes they are absolutely brilliant...other times, they go crazy and are on the "high" mode for like 30 seconds even when nothing is on the sensor. Also, it goes off sometimes if the windshield if foggy

dont get me started on rain sensing wipers...sometimes they are absolutely brilliant...other times, they go crazy and are on the "high" mode for like 30 seconds even when nothing is on the sensor. Also, it goes off sometimes if the windshield if foggy

Yup, on occasion I had the same problem on my '03ES.......we'll see if they're improved on the ES350.

Personally, I could do without this accessory.......but it's fun to watch. :P

Yup, on occasion I had the same problem on my '03ES.......we'll see if they're improved on the ES350.

Personally, I could do without this accessory.......but it's fun to watch. :P

LOADS of fun to watch! :D

You are just like WTH is going on! I have to say mine work a lot better than my sister's benz that she had did. It was all or nothing with it and most of the time nothing...it would pour and they would wipe like it was misting.

AMF, what kind of gas mileage are you seeing thus far? The professional reviews speak of the ES350 being essentially the same size as the original LS400. The original LS 400 was a sweet size. Do you feel the ES 350 is the LS 400 for this decade? I'm debating buying either a three or four year old LS 430 or buying a new ES 350.

AMF, what kind of gas mileage are you seeing thus far? The professional reviews speak of the ES350 being essentially the same size as the original LS400. The original LS 400 was a sweet size. Do you feel the ES 350 is the LS 400 for this decade? I'm debating buying either a three or four year old LS 430 or buying a new ES 350.

I'll check the mileage again in awhile since the dealer filled up the car with premium fuel when I picked it up........I don't know whether they filled it to the brim, but I drove about 220 miles and put in 8 gallons. This was a combination of city & parkway driving. Not bad.....27.5 mpg!! :)

I prefer to buy new, so I can't answer your question about either car being the "car of the decade".

I always love the newest technology. :D

I STILL can't find one that doesn't wind up getting sold before I can get there to drive it LOL.

Personally, I'd definately buy the ES350 over a 3-4 year old LS. I faced the same decision when I bought mine and the decision was easy, I wanted a new car.