Sequential Automatic Transmission

Those of you with the 6 speed automatic, how does the manual mode work with the paddle shifters? I mean are you in complete control of the car in manual mode? All input would appreciated.

Those of you with the 6 speed automatic, how does the manual mode work with the paddle shifters? I mean are you in complete control of the car in manual mode? All input would appreciated.

I haven't tried out the system yet, and probably won't use it much. I had a similar system on an IS-300 I owned, and found that the automatic mode could do a better job than I could choosing the proper shift points. You don't really have "complete" control anyway - it won't let you shift down too much at too high a speed to prevent over-revs, and judging from the owners manual, being in 6th gear means 1-6 are available, in 5th gear, 1-5 are available, and so forth. If you want a more aggrresive shift pattern, you can set the swith to sport mode and get more performance and harder shifts. I would be curious to hear if anyone really uses this feature.

David

I have a is250awd with the 6 speed sequential and use it all of the time. I have only ever used the automatic setting once when in heavy traffic. I also keep the ECT setting on pwrECT(im not shure if it makes a big difference in sequential mode but it seems to shift a bit quiker. As for control, the transmission seems to let u do what u want. You can shift down just about whenever u want, but if u really make a mistake, (for example- 3rd gear 500 rpm to 1st) the car will beep. But like i said the car rairly does this and ive one experienced it once when i accidently hit the paddle, and i tend to shift down quite aggressively too. As for up shifting it lets you do whatever u want. It will allow you to redline without shifting etc. The only drawback however is if u are in a high gear at low rpm and step on it the car will shift down according to what gear gives u more power. But if ur driving aggressively, cahnces are ull keep the car at high enough rpms that the car will not do this.

I’ve tested it out a few times. It seems like the car will give you the freedom to rev out the gears before you shift but once you shift, the shifts feel laggy. Its not an instant response unlike the BMW SMG gear box which gives you total control with 5 different sport modes and the trans reacts precise with no sign of lag. Its not something i will be using often but when I feel the need to take a spirited drive, I will be sure to use it as it does give you a pretty good sense of control.

I use it sometimes, the paddles shifters are pretty nice, but when you want to get the most out of the car in manuel you pretty much just floor it, but when I drive normally Iam usually in automatic. The shifter will pretty much let you do whatever you want as long as you don't try and downshift at too high of speeds. But I have noticed sometimes that if I don't downshift the car will do it for me but let me still think it's in a certain gear, i.e. I was pulling up to a redlight and to test my theory I put the trip computer on gear postion and I was going from 3rd down to second, but I wanted to see what it would do, so the car shifted itself from 3 to second but told me in the manuel screen that I was in 3rd. Oh yea and when ur in sixth gear and you floor it on a highway it will downshift without you doing so. So...I dunno. But other than that it's full control. I mean it's just like a manuel. and the PWR button will redline everyshift to give you the most out of every gear, and it will keep it in gear longer making for quicker accleration so no shifting down unecessarly. This gives the feel of a manuel, also making for quicker accleration and a sportier ride, while eating away at your gas milage.

I’ve tested it out a few times. It seems like the car will give you the freedom to rev out the gears before you shift but once you shift, the shifts feel laggy. Its not an instant response unlike the BMW SMG gear box which gives you total control with 5 different sport modes and the trans reacts precise with no sign of lag. Its not something i will be using often but when I feel the need to take a spirited drive, I will be sure to use it as it does give you a pretty good sense of control.

How is that SMG transmission as far as reliability goes? Man, I'd hate to see what a replacement costs...

I haven't really used it at all. Our car only has a couple hundred miles on it though.

How is that SMG transmission as far as reliability goes? Man, I'd hate to see what a replacement costs...

I haven't really used it at all. Our car only has a couple hundred miles on it though.

Never really heard any problems with them, they do come out with upgrades now and again. All you have to do is go to BMW and they re-flash the trans ecu with the new program. The Farrari F1 is the most advanced auto-stick on the planet, they say BMW is like the second.

Thank's everyone for all your helpful input. I've read some things about the manual mode on the 6 spd. auto. on other forums and just wanted to see what ya'll had to say. When I test drove the IS, it was mostly in heavy traffic, so I wasnt able to use the manual mode. I'll be sure to try it out on my next test drive.

Thanks again everyone.

Thank's everyone for all your helpful input. I've read some things about the manual mode on the 6 spd. auto. on other forums and just wanted to see what ya'll had to say. When I test drove the IS, it was mostly in heavy traffic, so I wasnt able to use the manual mode. I'll be sure to try it out on my next test drive.

Thanks again everyone.

Actually, the best version of these "manual" autos I have found is the system on the current Suburu - you can run in full automatic, but still kick-down a gear with the manual control. Handy for when you want to blast out of a turn, and don't want to wait for the auto to kick-down itself. I wish the Lexus trany would do that.....

David

It's basically like any other automatic tranny. It will not select a gear higher than you have set via the lever/paddles. It's supposed to match engine speed when you down shift and that is unusual where automatics are concerned. Most just shove the gear and lock the clutches.

It's basically like any other automatic tranny. It will not select a gear higher than you have set via the lever/paddles. It's supposed to match engine speed when you down shift and that is unusual where automatics are concerned. Most just shove the gear and lock the clutches.

I know what you mean. I had a rental hyundai that had a 4 spd. manual shift mode on the tranny. When I would down shift, it wouldn't let the engine rev up to match the lower gear, causing a jerking motion. It was worthless IMO. The manual mode would have been more enjoyable if it had let the engine match the rpms of the lower gear.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read all the responses to this post yet, but just wanted to say that I tried using the paddle shifters for a while. I find it's easier to just use the automatic and put your foot into the accelerator.

Never really heard any problems with them, they do come out with upgrades now and again. All you have to do is go to BMW and they re-flash the trans ecu with the new program. The Farrari F1 is the most advanced auto-stick on the planet, they say BMW is like the second.

My husband had the biggest problem with our M3 SMG. He couldn't figure out how to drive it. I, however, had no problems with it. It could be a little quirky, but it was cool.

Is this useful in stop-and-go traffic? I mean could you put it in 2nd gear and leave it like this so it won't keep shifting between gears as you slow down or pick up speed

It can be. I just kept forgetting to shift up, since I don't have the shift knob like a manual car.....

Is this useful in stop-and-go traffic? I mean could you put it in 2nd gear and leave it like this so it won't keep shifting between gears as you slow down or pick up speed

It can be. I just kept forgetting to shift up, since I don't have the shift knob like a manual car.....

You can shift up and down by pushing the shift lever forward and back.

I could do that too, if only I remembered!!! lol.

I could do that too, if only I remembered!!! lol.

I know it's there but I never think to use it either. :lol: