Which New Tires For Ls430 Sport "04?

We've reached 30k miles on our 2004 Sport LS430 and need new tires. We need the softest tires we can find because we find the Sport ride too harsh for our taste. We have Dunlops on now. Our service writer told us that he thought the Dunlops were the softest, Bridgestones middle, and Michelin the hardest. Is this correct?

Can anyone recommend a good but soft tire for the Sport LS430 with P225\55R17 size.

We've seen the Bridgestone Turaza LSV and it looks pretty good but need help and recommendations.

Thanks for any comments.

My suggestion on that car would be Michelin MXV4s. My dad has an 04, and his isn't the sport (air suspension UL) but he noticed a big improvement in the ride vs the Toyo TPTs he had on it and the Dunlop SP Sport 5000s it came with when he put the MXV4s on.

Tire brand doesn't make as big a determination in how they ride as ther type. Find a good sedate touring/UHPT like the MXV4, Turanza LS-V, Sp Sport 4000/5000.

As an aside, what PSI do you air the tires to? I've heard that the ride with the sport suspension isn't THAT different from the standard car.

MVX4 Pluses!! They are the best tires on the road for a 430. Silent on paved roads and noisy on Texas and Louisiana roads as we are going through re-building due to years of abuse by our not so honest State Legislators :whistles: . It all comes out in the end as my Urologist says. Seriously, it's overall, the best tire for the feel, handling and safety. ;) The Dunlops name says it all! ;)

Edited by SW03ES

Thanks very much for the info. I've checked out the prices and availability and (gulp) they don't come cheap.

Price out at $900 less a $50 rebate. Bridgestone LS-v's are about $700 for the 4 after a $100 rebate.

I'll check out my tire pressure and post it here soon.

check out the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S, they are a little cheaper than the MXV4s but same michie quality. Traction seems a little better in the rain (my 02 ES compared to a friends 03 ES). Can't give any say on snow, sorry. They are very smooth and very quiet.

steviej

• 3 weeks later...

We've reached 30k miles on our 2004 Sport LS430 and need new tires. We need the softest tires we can find because we find the Sport ride too harsh for our taste. We have Dunlops on now. Our service writer told us that he thought the Dunlops were the softest, Bridgestones middle, and Michelin the hardest. Is this correct?

Can anyone recommend a good but soft tire for the Sport LS430 with P225\55R17 size.

We've seen the Bridgestone Turaza LSV and it looks pretty good but need help and recommendations.

Thanks for any comments.

I have the same car. I HATED the ride with Dunlops. Called Tire Rack. Spent an hour on the phone with him and he concluded that the Turanza and Mich. Energy are great tires, but NOT as soft as the Yokohamas. Soft was my main concern as I came from an LS 400 with 16's on it. I finally bought them for 590. incl. ext. warranty no prorate, lifetime balance, etc. and they are VERY smooth. Did not tell my wife and she rode in it and asked me what happened to the car, it was so smooth. They are equally as quiet. I heartily recommend them. I have owned these before and always found them round too. 60k guarantee also.

Jim Smith

• 1 year later...

MendoPaul

I am in much the same situation that you were last year. I have recently purchaseed a 2001 LS430 with the sport suspension. My car is shod with 245/R40 19's in front and 255/R40 19's in back. Can you say firm? I would like to keep the suspension under control and responsive but the car seems to throw you around on our bad streets and the tires hum. I am coming from a 1978 Mercedes 300CD Coupe that definitely rides better and handles just as well. What did you finally choose for your new tires? What were your results?

I really need some help from the experts in this forum. Is there any tire that will work on this car with these SSR wheels (which look great) or must I chuck them both and go back to the original issue 225/55/R17's. Would it be even better to go to 16 inch wheels as on the base car or would that be incompatible with the sport suspension?

If you are still looking for replacement tires, I just put on a new tire from Toyo, they are the Versado LX's. I stepped up from the stock 17" rims to new 18" tires and rims, and even with going to a larger tire (smaller sidewall), they are comfortable and quiet (I only have about 100 miles on them so far). I would say that they are very similar to the Michelin Energy MXV4+ tires that were just replaced. For the 225/55-17 size, the Versado's are available in a H rating with a 60K mileage warrany for $109.00 each, or a V rating with a 40K mileage warrany for $118.00 each (I found the prices at www.treadepot.com).

• 2 weeks later...
If you are still looking for replacement tires, I just put on a new tire from Toyo, they are the Versado LX's. I stepped up from the stock 17" rims to new 18" tires and rims, and even with going to a larger tire (smaller sidewall), they are comfortable and quiet (I only have about 100 miles on them so far). I would say that they are very similar to the Michelin Energy MXV4+ tires that were just replaced. For the 225/55-17 size, the Versado's are available in a H rating with a 60K mileage warrany for $109.00 each, or a V rating with a 40K mileage warrany for $118.00 each (I found the prices at www.treadepot.com).

01 ULTRA:

Thanks for your earlier response. Anything new to report on the yoko tires. What 18" wheels did you settle on? Do you know if the 2007 LS rims will work on a 2001 LS?

jhm555 -

Just put on the 900th mile. I am VERY happy with the TOYO Versado LX tires. I would highly recommend them. The 18" wheels that I went with were the Vortex, made by TSW. It seems that they have several different models that will fit. The other rim that I was looking at was one from Enkei, but price and immediate availability of the TSW's was the deciding factor. I purchased both the wheels and tires through a local Discount Tire store, but I did a lot of comparison shopping on the internet, found the lowest price available & they matched it. As far as the fitment for the '07 to the '01, I would imagine that they would work, but the '01 has incredibly large brake calipers, so that would be the only concern that I would have. I have a post on the Show and Shine forum showing the TSW rims, just to let you know how they would look. Note that these pix are with the Dunlop Direzza tires that I returned because of 'flat spotting'. I can post more pictures if you are interested.