How Do You Flush Transmission Fluid On A 94

Flushing is risky. Especially for someone young and inexperienced. Simply draining the pan, measuring the amount drained and refilling with the same amount is a risk free way to change the fluid. Do this 3-4 times over a few thousand mile period to change approx. half the fluid. Changing half is all that needs to be changed to enable the transmission to last hundreds of thousands of miles.

Must need a machine to do a flush job. Dealer charges $70 for a flush job, last time I check with them

:-)

I did this last Tuesday. Machine was me and my friend :D I unplugged one pipe from radiator and colleague started engine for 8 to 10 seconds I catch 1 liter of old dirty ATF fluid, engine was stopped, new AFT (1 liter was added to tranny (via probe pipe - use funnel + 20cm pipe). This cycle was replaced 8 times (until fluid was cleared). After that I unscrewed tranny cover, replaced A/T filter to new and completed AFT fluid level. Then carefully went to road for 5-8km and then checked fluid level. Now my AFT is so cleared - I had problems to find what is a level of ATF on the probe :-)

Tranny run excellent.

BTW. I'm always checking fluid level 2 times per month..

maniek_LS, your method sounds safe because you never let the fluid level get more than 1 quart (=1 liter) low at a time so hopefully no moving parts inside the transmission are ever starved of transmission oil.

I asked a retired owner of a major auto service shop about maniek_LS's 'remove one cooler line' trick to flush the transmission and here is what he said:

"I would not try that 'remove one cooler line' trick myself, because I'll bet they route the fluid returning from the cooler to something vital like some of the bearings. This is precisely why the commercial tranny flushing machines have a two-way pump inside, and are hooked to the cooler AND the return lines - and for ever quart of dirty fluid coming out, it pumps a matching quart of clean fluid back in through the return line to replace it.

The other 'risk' I can see is that it's going to waste a lot of good ATF waiting "for it to run clear" for no particularly good reason.

It would be dumb to start the 'transmission flush' process without draining the transmission pan and filling it with fresh fluid first, because then you have to wait as the returning fluid slowly dilutes the dirty stuff in the sump before getting pumped through the transmission circuits. You'll waste several more quarts waiting for

the clean fluid to come through.

You need never flush out the transmission at all if you regularly (every 20-30K service or so) drain the transmission pan and change roughly half of the total fluid volume. That simple and easy process

should keep the transmission trouble free for many years.

The only time you really need to flush out all the old ATF is if someone has seriously abused the transmission and the fluid is burnt. Pull out the dipstick and look and sniff - if it's burnt, believe me you'll know. It'll be brown to black and smell like wood rosin and other nasty toasted chemicals. Good ATF really doesn't have much of a smell."

• 2 weeks later...