Speed Limit On New Car

Really all of this "break in" stuff is just an outdated old wives tale. The point of it is to give the rings time to seat propertly etc, but the tolerances are so tight on these motors that you really don't need to drive any certain way. Be careful on the brakes a few 100 miles or so, avoid sudden stops so that the pads can evenly seat into the rotors but other than that, have at it.

Hmm, actually I've heard and practiced the opposite. Rotating gears and moving parts have to be properly mated and work hardened. Initially those areas that are not properly matched will create localized hot spots and can overheat on initial hard use. For instance when you put new gears in a differential it's a good idea to drive it for a shot distance and then let everything cool completely. The gears also work harden under normal use but damage under extreme initial use.

Brakes on the other hand need to be bedded in. This is done by first performing some light stops to warm up the brakes and then performing hard stops BUT not coming to a complete stop. IE 60mph to 10mph and them back to 60mph. Stopping completely will deposit brake material unevenly on disk.

The break in instructions for a 2006 Toyota are the same as for a 1976 Toyota: For the first 600-1000 miles:

1. Drive gently, avoiding fast starts and stops.

2. Limit top speed to 65 MPH.

3. Maintain engine speed mostly between 2000-4000 RPM.

4. On the open highway, vary speeds every 5-10 minutes instead of driving continuously for a long time at one constant speed.

5. Brake gently for the first 200 miles.

That said, owners who routinely drive in a hurried, aggressive manner after the break in period will wear out the mechanical components of their car fast anyway.

I agree. As for the braking you could just not brake at all lol. :P

Really all of this "break in" stuff is just an outdated old wives tale. The point of it is to give the rings time to seat propertly etc, but the tolerances are so tight on these motors that you really don't need to drive any certain way. Be careful on the brakes a few 100 miles or so, avoid sudden stops so that the pads can evenly seat into the rotors but other than that, have at it.

Break it in hard it will run hard.I drive my cars hard from day 1 but I also maintain them religiously.I have a 4runner with 254k,I just gave my LS400 to my parents as a second car(They are both retired) with 272k and my wifes Sienna has 130k.I drive them like you hate them.My 88 Mustang has 100k but it's on it's 4th engine.I attribute that to the bottle in the trunk but it's FUN.