Cowl Under Front Bumper...

Woodi68

I took my 92 LS400 into a non-lexus shop to get the air conditioning fixed. When I got the car back I noticed that black plastic cowling under the front bumper was hanging down slightly on the passenger side. When I called the shop about it they said, "well, it's not that important, don't worry about it". And, just figuring it would just hang there and not really be a problem I continued driving it. Eventually I noticed it was hitting the ground on occasion and eventually all but one bolt had come out or tore through the plastic and it was DRAGGING as I was going down the highway. Now, I'm no big fancy car owner and am not completely ashamed of the now duct taped and wire tied front cowl, but I do have to admit I find it a bit troubling and if nothing else annoying.

What do you call this part? I'd like to go into a junk yard and find a replacement, but don't really know what it's called. Also, I think there might be something particularly with how the bolts fasten to the bumper that caused part of the problem. Where would I find a part number for this thing?

Any feedback for me on this dilemna?

There are different names for it as it's intent is to keep road trash and water out of the engine compartment and it also cuts down on road noise. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lubrication/oilchange.html ;) I'd look for a new Dealer.

Yeah, after you gave me the "Engine Under Cover" name I called my dealer to check out pricing. They said $218. Not TOO bad I guess. They also said lots of people call it different things, but Engine Under Cover is the Lexus name for it. I tried calling several junk yards in the area... Lexus parts just aren't easy to come by I guess.

There are a myriad of junkyards online if you dig for them and I'm sure you will save some cash...The description is hard but look up "used Lexus parts" and then call some of their 800 numbers and explain what you are looking for and you should find a viable, cash worthy solution. ;)

There are different names for it as it's intent is to keep road trash and water out of the engine compartment and it also cuts down on road noise. http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/lubrication/oilchange.html ;) I'd look for a new Dealer.

i agree. people say it isn't important but the car was designed with it so i'd think it is. lexus-parts has them for about $150 but that body shop should be responsible, since the car wasn't like that before.

Good Luck! :cheers:

I feel it is a very simple but important part.

It will keep the debris out ,water or otherwise.

It is also very important for the drag coefficient as well as cooling the engine.

It is used to direct the flow of air around the engine ,through the rad and the flow under the car.

Without it you will use more gas and not be as effective in cooling the engine .

They are also very expensive for the trays for some damn reason.

was it the shops fault?

I can only assume the shop didn't reinstall it properly. A couple friends of mine and I today disassembled the entire thing and found that, besides being a bit raged from it's trials over it's life, several of the bolts were not original and were installed with nuts and washers which didn't really work that well, since MANY of them actually fell out. So, my friends found several of the little plastic nuts that clip in, which were still usable and moved them from non-essential holes and placed them up front where you couldn't have installed a nut on the back. For those that could have a nut. They did get a nut. Really complicated, but really only took a couple hours.

One of the other problems turned out to be a metal strap that's up under the bumper to re-enforce the structure and keeps the bumper material from tearing. This metal strap had been bent by the bumper being hit in the past (apparently since I just recently aquired the car). So we removed the strip and hammered it back into shape.

All's well so far! Looks pretty good! We did have to install on fine piece of handyman craftsmanship. We had to drill a hole on the front passenger side of the Engine Under Cover because the hole was damaged in the dragging. A mighty fine (and undetectible) wire tie did the trick there and it's way up under so you can't see it!

The main purpose of this panel is, as skperformance alluded to, aerodynamics, not splash-guarding as so many are intent on thinking.

Look at this we-site:

http://www.lexus-europe.com/technology_exp...t.asp?model=All

Note the words: The precise and narrow gaps in Lexus bodywork also contribute significantly. So do flush-fitting windows and trim, tyre spoilers behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels, under-body panels that streamline chassis components, and rear spoilers that reduce turbulence as the airflow leaves the car.

Bob Graham

I took my 92 LS400 into a non-lexus shop to get the air conditioning fixed. When I got the car back I noticed that black plastic cowling under the front bumper was hanging down slightly on the passenger side. When I called the shop about it they said, "well, it's not that important, don't worry about it". And, just figuring it would just hang there and not really be a problem I continued driving it. Eventually I noticed it was hitting the ground on occasion and eventually all but one bolt had come out or tore through the plastic and it was DRAGGING as I was going down the highway. Now, I'm no big fancy car owner and am not completely ashamed of the now duct taped and wire tied front cowl, but I do have to admit I find it a bit troubling and if nothing else annoying.

What do you call this part? I'd like to go into a junk yard and find a replacement, but don't really know what it's called. Also, I think there might be something particularly with how the bolts fasten to the bumper that caused part of the problem. Where would I find a part number for this thing?

Any feedback for me on this dilemna?

Yes Bob, Some of us alluded to aerodynamics and splash guard, read all the responses carefully and you may find "dynamics" (auto in motion) as part of an intent by Lexus to include all that was taken into consideration in the design of a fine automobile including, albeit "all things considered" ;) That is a clue as to what makes the Lexus "think tank" always a step ahead.