Paint Panic

Help!

I have a brand new 2006 LS430 dark grey metallic paint, and I am finding that every time a bird leaves anything behind, it leaves an ugly stain in the paint even if I get it off almost right away. It is as if the clear coat is gone or etched. I cannot believe that I am going to end up with a terribly ugly car due to bird droppings, so something must be wrong, but I have no idea what. Any suggestions / help?

Thanks

My advice...Don't go to the Dealer and reply to SWO3 and do as he says, As he is the "Master" Detailer although short in some other areas..LOL..You will be in good hands!! He,He.......I'm being bad :whistles: but he is "Okay" and know's his stuff about Detailing.

My advice...Don't go to the Dealer and reply to SWO3 and do as he says, As he is the "Master" Detailer although short in some other areas..LOL..You will be in good hands!! He,He.......I'm being bad :whistles: but he is "Okay" and know's his stuff about Detailing.

• 1 month later...

How often to you wax/seal the paint?

I have waxed it, but the stain seems to have actually gotten down into the finish.

I just can't believe that the paint on the car cannot stand a bird!

Do you recommend a specific wax. I was considering taking it to a detail shop that puts acrylic / teflon wax.

Thanks - I am so, cercerned!

I have waxed it, but the stain seems to have actually gotten down into the finish.

Do you recommend a specific wax. I was considering taking it to a detail shop that puts acrylic / teflon wax.

I was going to say try some vinagear and/or Optimum Compound.

You might want to try washing first with something with a higher detergent content like Meguiars Gold Class wash or even dawn dishwashing soap. You'd be surprised what the detergents in soap can remove when it comes to waterspots and bird dropping etching.

from what i have read on many threads on autopia, lexus/toyota has soft paint. Bird etching, marring, swirls, rock chips, happen alot since their paint is very soft; unlike german cars.

Yep, thats definately true.

Guys in the Acura forum are talking about this same issue with their black TL's

Bird droppings are on the car no more than a day and leave a haze when removed.

Bird Excrement:

(Or insect excrement like Gypsy moth, June bug, Honeybees, etc) contain highly acidic concentrates (uric acid (pH 3.0-4.5) which if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (a non-transparent clouded area) or may cause etching (a depression in the paint or glass surfaces) Heat (vehicle paint temperature of 90oF+) creates a very aggressive reactivity of the acids that are present, which causes surface etching, at lower temperatures (40oF or less) there s no reactivity and therefore no etching

Heat (vehicle paint temperature of 90oF+) creates a very aggressive reactivity of the acids that are present, which causes surface etching, at lower temperatures (40oF or less) there s no reactivity and therefore no etching

so they should be removed without delay.

Birds use gravel to help digest their food so grit and sand are some of the major components, which can cause scratching. Insect honeydew (sometimes mistaken for tree resin) excreted by aphids or scale insects that infest the leaves and branches is also acidic. Residue should be removed (see below) as soon as possible as it could compromise the clear coat.

Take your time and be careful with its removal, these acids should be removed and/or neutralized as quickly as possible. Using an IPA (isopropyl alcohol) no ammonia based (ammonia acts as an acid accelerant) glass cleaner or a gel alcohol hand cleaner (Purell®) place a small amount on to a first aid gauze pad and apply to effected area this will help it stay in place during the necessary dwell time. The alcohol content, acts as a drying agent, which will extract the acid, then thoroughly flush with water to rinse away any grit or sand, etc or use detailers clay to encapsulate it, re-spray the area let it dwell for 2-3 minutes and wipe dry.

Avoid using a QD spray to flush residue, as they contain either carnauba wax or polymer sealants, which will seal the acid and not allow it to dissipate. Using an alkaline rinse of baking soda and water (to neutralize the acid) as soon as is practical is highly recommended, if the affected paintwork is not neutralized any remaining acid residue will be reactivated .If the paint or glass surface has been etched the surface can be levelled with a suitable polish and then apply a paint protection.

Do not scrub hardened/dried excrement residue as it is very abrasive and will scratch the paint surface, once they are softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the paint surface

The paint system is porous; when you add water and heat to an acidic substance it will erode the paint system very quickly (the heat opens microscopic fissures in the paint allowing ingress, the water provides a carrier system for the acid, and heat acts as a catalyst each time water is reintroduced the acid will be reactivated).

The paint surface should be periodically neutralized / decontaminated

(Automotive International A B C Decontamination / Neutralization wash system (http://www.autoint.com )