Replacing Studs On 1998 Gs400

Hi folks,

I need to replace the studs on my 1998 gs400.

In the rear, I managed to take off the calipers, but was unable to take off the rotor/hub assembly to remove the studs.

I saw two holes where I guess you have to screw in to push the rotor out...am I correct?

What tool do I need to finish the job?

Thanks!

Konstantin

You should be able to use the bolts from the caliper as bolts to pop off the rotors hats.

I believe the studs are connected to the hub. Do you think I will be able to knock them out and replace them with ones that are a few millimeters longer? Will a hammer work? Or will I need some kind of torch? Will there be enough room with the dust cover in place?

The studs are connected to the hub.

It is rather easy to do on the front wheels, there rears should not be much harder once there is a opening for them ,otherwise you will have to remove the hub from the bearing to get the new bolts in and out.

It is rather easy to do on the front wheels, there rears should not be much harder once there is a opening for them ,otherwise you will have to remove the hub from the bearing to get the new bolts in and out.

I removed the rotors from the rear, but there was not enough room to change the studs without removing the hub/axle assembly.

On the front, I was NOT able to remove the assembly that holds the caliper because the two (17mm?) bolts that connect the caliper assembly to the car were WAY TOO TIGHT. We tried breaker bar, 3 ft pipe, air impact wrench, but nothing worked. The only thing we did not try was torching/heating the bolt and surrounding metal. The two bolts don't seem to be stripped, as we can get a good grip on them.

Any suggestions on how to remove them?

I removed the rotors from the rear, but there was not enough room to change the studs without removing the hub/axle assembly.

On the front, I was NOT able to remove the assembly that holds the caliper because the two (17mm?) bolts that connect the caliper assembly to the car were WAY TOO TIGHT. We tried breaker bar, 3 ft pipe, air impact wrench, but nothing worked. The only thing we did not try was torching/heating the bolt and surrounding metal. The two bolts don't seem to be stripped, as we can get a good grip on them.

Any suggestions on how to remove them?

Go back to the Pipe. Turn the steering wheel so the back is out. For the left front wheel, turn hard right. Now you can get a socket with a one inch extension on the bolt. Put the pipe over a breaker bar handle and push down. I just did it yesterday. Mind had been off recently but put on by the Tire gorilla. Very tight.