Ls460

Joined this forum today. I currently own a 98 Mercedes. Has not been very reliable. So went to a Lexus dealer in Maryland today and asked about the 2007 LS460.

He said to put a deposit down as there will be a waiting list and I need to get a number. It's completely refundable of course, but he said it would not be discounted.

Now when I bought my Mercedes in Sep 1997, the 1st dealer said there is no negotiations on a Mercedes. I walked out and went to another dealer. He said "we don't discount MB automobiles." I said ok, I am going to Euromotorcars. He said we can knock $1000 off the price. So I walked to another dealer, and said that I had just come from two other dealers and they were too high. What can YOU do for me today?

His price was about $3K lower than the one who came down. I said I would let him know, and as I was walking out to my car, he said if I bought today, he would knock another $1500 off. So I learned that Mercedes Benz dealers do negotiate.

The new 2007 Lexus LS460 has the new body style, and the dealer said if I don't get on the list, it will be a year before I can get one. Is he telling the truth or blowing smoke? Should I put my money down? Will Lexus dealers discount the new model?

Secondly, is it advisable to buy one of the first off the assembly line when they introduce a new model, or should I wait until they work out the bugs before buying?

My next door neighbor bought one of the very first LS400's in the fall of 1989. Except for the now famous two early issues and the related recalls, his early LS had no more issues than the one I bought that was made six months later.

Of all brands of cars, I would have the least concern (actually zero concern) about buying a newly introduced Toyota or Lexus model.

But yes, if you have to have one of the very first LS460's you might end up paying substantially more than if you waited a while. It depends on your priorities. Personally, I would wait a year or so simply to get $5-8K knocked off the list price. I enjoy being frugal -- and watching others pay full price!.

I agree that I should wait, but with the reliability record of my 98 E300 Mercedes, I fear that waiting will cost me another visit to the shop for glow plug replacement at about $900 a pop. The Benz in in the shop as I write this, a loaner car sits in my garage.

It seems that I am in glow plug replacement mode around 2 months after the 12 month warranty. I do have a 12 month warranty don't I?

• 6 months later...

I agree that I should wait, but with the reliability record of my 98 E300 Mercedes, I fear that waiting will cost me another visit to the shop for glow plug replacement at about $900 a pop. The Benz in in the shop as I write this, a loaner car sits in my garage.

It seems that I am in glow plug replacement mode around 2 months after the 12 month warranty. I do have a 12 month warranty don't I?

You might pay a little more but do not hold your breath on getting the discount the previous posted said in his post. There is no way in even a year the a LS460 will be discounted that much. I got one on order and exp-ect delievery in a few weeks. My dealer said I will have to pay list but he is giving me a good deal over book value for my 2004 LX470. In the past Lexus has only offered me book value.

I agree with Greg. Just now are we seeing 8K off deals on LS430s, and this is after the new model has been released.

You WILL get better pricing in a year or so, but it won't be $5k-8k off.

As for getting a discount on an LS460 right now, I would be EXTREMELY surprised. What you have to understand is your 98 Benz was 6 model years old when you bought it, the LS460 is all new and almost all dealers have waiting lists. Why should they sell you one at a discount when they have lists of people willing to pay full price?

I agree with Greg. Just now are we seeing 8K off deals on LS430s, and this is after the new model has been released.

You WILL get better pricing in a year or so, but it won't be $5k-8k off.

As for getting a discount on an LS460 right now, I would be EXTREMELY surprised. What you have to understand is your 98 Benz was 6 model years old when you bought it, the LS460 is all new and almost all dealers have waiting lists. Why should they sell you one at a discount when they have lists of people willing to pay full price?

very true. The question is not how much discount you'll get, but WHEN will you get the vehicle you want (with the right options, Interior and Exterior colors). ;)