How To Modify 2gr-fe Engine To Be 2gr-fse

I have toyota avalon 2005 which has 2GR-FE (3.5 liter) engine which is the same engine used in lexus IS 350 but because it uses direct injection not port injection like toyota avalon its engine is called 2GR-FSE.

I know that the Lexus IS 350 engine (2GR-FSE) has more power than toyota Avalon 2005 model engine (2GR-FE) because Lexus IS 350 uses the Direct Injection, because of that i want to ask if there is anyway to modify the avalon engine (2GR-FE) to make it (2GR-FSE) so that to get more power.

Is it possible to modify the Toyota Avalon engine (2GR-FE) to make it from Port Injection to Direct Injection so that to be the same as Lexus IS 350 engine (2GR-FSE).

If its possible to make it plz inform me how to make it and is it useful to make it or not economically?

• 2 weeks later...

I heared that the only different for the engine is the injection type only so i want to know if its possible to change from port injection to direct injection. If its possible i want to know what i need to change.

If it is, which I doubt, then you would be breaking new territory and spending tons of cash. Direct Injection requires a special block and tons of expensive electronics. It is probably cheaper/easier to find the extra 30hp somewhere else, (i.e. bolt ons, if they even exist for the Avalon, but you can always do something custom) or doing the ful engine swap.

Even easier, and probably cheaper, to just trade in for an IS350

• 1 month later...

The 2GR-FSE engine utilizes BOTH direct and port injection, Toyota calls it 4DS system. The main function of the port injection is to improve cold-start drivability, not tend to improve power. Although the engine is relatively the same, but head design and fuel management is different, it would not be cost effective to change the system. As someone mentioned before, you may want to change your car instead.

• 1 year later...

I have an 2006 IS350, I didn't see any mention ( my have missed it ) of the fact that the IS350 engine has both direct injection and manifold injection, under full power it runs on both, at cruise speeds it runs only on direct injection, also at idle the fuel presure is approximately 800 PSI and at highway speeds it's 1800-2000 PSI, there is a pump in the tank that supplies fuel to a pump driven off the rear of the right bank cam shaft with steel fuel supply lines to the direction injectors...

So you see it's not a modification that's possible with out a lot of changes to the total vehicle..

One other thing, Lexus has came out with an intake that is simular to the KNN intake for the IS300, they replace the air tube and lower portion of the air box..

Kind of expensive, $ 455.00 list, take abot 30 minutes to install, I have it on mine, sounds great..

George

I have an 2006 IS350, I didn't see any mention ( my have missed it ) of the fact that the IS350 engine has both direct injection and manifold injection, under full power it runs on both, at cruise speeds it runs only on direct injection, also at idle the fuel presure is approximately 800 PSI and at highway speeds it's 1800-2000 PSI, there is a pump in the tank that supplies fuel to a pump driven off the rear of the right bank cam shaft with steel fuel supply lines to the direction injectors...

So you see it's not a modification that's possible with out a lot of changes to the total vehicle..

One other thing, Lexus has came out with an intake that is simular to the KNN intake for the IS300, they replace the air tube and lower portion of the air box..

Kind of expensive, $ 455.00 list, take abot 30 minutes to install, I have it on mine, sounds great..

George

At full power (WOT) the IS350 -only- uses the direct injectors. The port injectors are only used at light/mid throttle, and mainly to lower emissions and improve economy.

If you're talking about the F-sport intake as far as anyone can tell it's a Joe Z pipe for 3-4 times the cost that also replaces the lower airbox piece with one that has an extra hole cut in it. Oh, they toss in a reuseable filter for the extra $200-300 you spend on it over the Joe Z too.... the extra hole does likely increase the noise though if that's your thing.

The 2GR-FSE piston crown is also specifically designed with a 'sub-chamber' for use with the direct injectors. So the whole motor would need to be changed out. Sorry, but you just can't put the DI on top of the 2GR-SE motor. There are other more cost effective solutions like N20 to get an extra few HP but all could have negative affects on reliabilty, gas milage etc....

One other thing, Lexus has came out with an intake that is similar to the KNN intake for the IS300, they replace the air tube and lower portion of the air box..

Kind of expensive, $ 455.00 list, take about 30 minutes to install, I have it on mine, sounds great..

George

Reply to Knightshade,

What you are saying about the injection isn't what Lexus tech tells me, however when the injection works isn't important to me !!! Yes the intake is the F sport, I didn't pay the price I mentioned, I purchased mine from Lexus for much less, the KNN air filter also fits in the new air box, Lexus claims 5 HP increase due to less restriction with the extra hole that pulls air from behind the headlight, clean airflow & openings that allow more air equals more power, the V-6 tested at 5.3 seconds 0-60 is plenty quick, the IS-F V8 416 HP is 4.6 seconds 0-60, I know the 5.3 is shown on some reports and 5-8 on others...

The one I have has all Lexus offered in the IS-350... I have 31,600 miles so far with no problems...

One other thing, Lexus has came out with an intake that is similar to the KNN intake for the IS300, they replace the air tube and lower portion of the air box..

Kind of expensive, $ 455.00 list, take about 30 minutes to install, I have it on mine, sounds great..

George

Reply to Knightshade,

What you are saying about the injection isn't what Lexus tech tells me, however when the injection works isn't important to me !!! Yes the intake is the F sport, I didn't pay the price I mentioned, I purchased mine from Lexus for much less, the KNN air filter also fits in the new air box, Lexus claims 5 HP increase due to less restriction with the extra hole that pulls air from behind the headlight, clean airflow & openings that allow more air equals more power, the V-6 tested at 5.3 seconds 0-60 is plenty quick, the IS-F V8 416 HP is 4.6 seconds 0-60, I know the 5.3 is shown on some reports and 5-8 on others...

The one I have has all Lexus offered in the IS-350... I have 31,600 miles so far with no problems...

Lexus folks tend to lie a lot-

http://www.turbomagazine.com/features/0511...s250/index.html

"this setup runs only the direct injectors at high loads."

http://www.cartest.ca/2006_best_car_best_truck_bes.htm

"When the engine is running under low or medium loads at lower speeds, both systems are used... under heavy load, it automatically converts to a direct injection-only system."

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z14607/Lexus_IS_350.aspx

"the 3.5-liter V6 differs chiefly in that it augments the direct fuel injection with port fuel injectors. In light- and medium-load conditions, these additional injectors help produce a precise burn, increasing power and efficiency."

etc....

The -stock- air intake on the IS350 already provides more air than the engine is capable of using, so honestly, more airflow just means more noise... which is worth the $ to some folks. It's extremely difficult to actually add measurable power to these cars, Lexus did a pretty tremendous job of engineering them well to begin with... (and an uncrackable encrypted ECU doesn't help either)