Bumper Damage On 2004 Es330 - Can The Skin Be Replaced

Hi All:

I was recently rear ended by a bicycle. Yes, you read correctly, a bicycle - long story - but his fault.

I now have multiple rubber gouge marks on the bumper (approximately 6 to 8 inches long, and 3 to 5 mm into the bumper skin). The top layer of color is completely stripped off.

My question, is the bumper on a ES330 one unit, or does it have a skin that can be removed and replaced?

Thanks!!!

Scottish007

Hi All:

I was recently rear ended by a bicycle. Yes, you read correctly, a bicycle - long story - but his fault.

I now have multiple rubber gouge marks on the bumper (approximately 6 to 8 inches long, and 3 to 5 mm into the bumper skin). The top layer of color is completely stripped off.

My question, is the bumper on a ES330 one unit, or does it have a skin that can be removed and replaced?

Thanks!!!

Scottish007

I don't know about the bumper but check with your insurance carrier. You may be covered (comprehensive?) and the insurance people will go after the cyclist to recover if this was an adult with homeowner's or auto insurance of their own. Worth looking into.

rosie

sorry about your bumper, I have a 04 330, looks like one piece to me. get some estimates, ask your Lexus dealer who they recommedned if they don't do there own body work. I had a dent fixed in my rear panel by Collex collision, did a great job, I did some body work a few years ago, and some people can blend in some bumper scratches, sometimes its better to replace the panel or bumper. Hope no one got hurt, cars are easier to fix then people. take your time and don't rush at the first estimate. Take care.

Timothy

well its a one piece, in fact to be honest, i have never heard of a bumper that can be stripped off in a certain area. lol. But your only solution is to change the bumper, but what they will end up doing is repainting it probably.

the 02-06 ES has a bumper cover. It is less than $250 online.

see here

The cover can be removed and repainted. If it is gouged as you say, it may be easier to just replace with new and have a body shop repaint. Your insurance should cover it and make sure they wave your deductible because it wasn't your fault.

here is a picture of the rear bumper parts for the 02-06 ES.

post-688-1144553919_thumb.jpg

here is the key:

Please select a corresponding number from the illustration below to view the details of that part.

1) Bumper cover 2) Clip Upper 3) Side support Right

4) Side support Left 5) Fastener Fastener Back 6) Bolt #1

7) Bolt #2 Back 8) Washer #1 9) Washer #2

10) Nut Nut Back 11) Side support Screw 12) Protector Protector Back

13) Energy absorber Lower 14) Energy absorber Upper 15) Bar

16) Seal 17) Reinforcement 18) Reinforcement Nut

I hope this helps.

steviej

• Like 1

I bought a new bumper for mine after someone hit it. $212.00 Got it painted for $150.00. Put it on myself in under an hour. Easy to R & R.

Hey Mel, There is no way that you put a new bumper on, I could see a bumper cover (maybe)The cover has to be removed then the old ( actual ) bumper has to be removed, Not a DIY in the driveway job. Detailed explaination is in order as to not confuse future viewers/members. :whistles:

For 212 he means the cover I'm sure.

Even the cover is a PITA to get on straight with all those clips, I'm impressed you did it yourself. The body shop that did mine (very good, very high end) had to redo it twice before it met my standards.

Actually it was very easy for me. The body was not warped at all so everything lined up perfectly with the new bumper. I also work for a dealer so I'm used to removing body panels.

Actually it was very easy for me. The body was not warped at all so everything lined up perfectly with the new bumper. I also work for a dealer so I'm used to removing body panels.

Walk us through what you had to do to replace the old bumper and the cover. We could use this for future reference because there are soooo many rear bumps that occur.

Thanx in advance. :cheers:

Pix would be a major +. ;)

When I replaced my 2005 ES bumper I removed the two clips from each rear wheelwell splash shields. Remove the screw that holds the bumper to the body on each side. From inside the trunk remove the spare tire and both side trim panels of the trunk and the taillights. Remove the trunk striker trim cover, remove the nuts that hold the bumper to the body. Then the bumper will pop off.