Normal Engine Temp - Shake At Startup

akewlguy

Ever since I had my timing/serp belts changed I get a weird start when engine is warm. Feels like a quick shake and rather loud noise (maybe engine moving on mounts?). It always happens right when the car starts. Also there has been a few times when I turn the starter and there is the initial spin up, but car does not start. So then I turn again and no problems.

Any ideas... I am going to talk to my mechanic later today.

Thanks... I hear the startup noise, but the engine does not start until I turn key again. This is not that often.. Maybe normal, but I dont remember before I had the belts changed.

The engine issue could be the mounts, but I never hear it any other time but startup and only when engine is warm (after running for 10 minutes park and then start 2 minutes later)..

Did them myself so I'm not sure what a mechanic would charge. Of all the things I've replaced on the LS this was probably the most diffiucult.

Difficult because it was time consuming and tedious. The driver's side nut I could only turn a 1/4 or less at a time. Lying on my back with my hand all contorted was just a pain to me. But if I can do anybody can, IMO.

I just did this to my 1990:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=26981&hl=

Just like Arkan, said, "If I can do it, anybody can". But then again, I am a glutton for punishment. There are a lot of things to unhook and reattach. Search the threads and some members have gotten very decent quotes for this work. The money I saved was no where near the effort I expended, but I'm not the brightest guy around.

If the mounts are original, new mounts make a big difference. In hindsight when I was buying my car and taking it on a test drive, I noticed the hood was shaking a lot. I didn't pay much attention as the car drove just fine. The hood doesn't shake anymore and the ride is whisper quiet.

New mounts may solve some of your problems but sounds like something else is there.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280