Grinding Noise When Turned Right And Backing Up

A grinding noise just developed in the passenger side front suspension. It only happens when I have my steering wheel turned to the right and backing up. I also get a clicking noise when stopping at a stop sign to turn right.

What could cause this noise?

It could be settled brake dust. You don't hear it when you go forward, cause you drive forward 90% of the time, so dust will settle elsewhere.

Try some brake cleaner.

As far as the clicking, I was going to say a CV boot, but I don't think the GS's have them since it is a rear wheel drive vehicle.

Worse case, it could be your bearings, but I doubt it.

How many miles do you have on your car, and what size rims do you have?

It could be settled brake dust. You don't hear it when you go forward, cause you drive forward 90% of the time, so dust will settle elsewhere.

Try some brake cleaner.

As far as the clicking, I was going to say a CV boot, but I don't think the GS's have them since it is a rear wheel drive vehicle.

Lexii have CV joints but they are in the rear.

Have the front brakes serviced. This includes cleaning and lubricating the calipers, surfacing the rotors if the have a rusty edge or scoring and/or replacing the pads including the anti-rattle shims, spring clips and wire springs that mechanics seem to always neglect.

If every part is not to Lexus spec, and present, I have found all types of noises to be the case. The clicking is often caused by missing clips, shims, or springs. It is caused by the pads moving in the caliper when changing direction. The grinding can be several things most likely a buildup of rust and brake crud on the rotor edge surfaces or calipers.

Thank Telefunken... you've given me some great answers on numerous occasions. Members like you contribute so much to this forum.

Regarding the noise when I back up, I was thinking it might have been a suspension component and was getting worried. I drive over 100 miles each day to and from work and I really do not want a wheel to fall off or something like that on the highway.

Well, I'm going to pick up a can of brake dust cleaner and clean out my brakes. Do I need to disassemble the front left brake to spray the stuff on or can I just spray with the wheel there? Thanks.

Try some brake cleaner.

Lexii have CV joints but they are in the rear.

Have the front brakes serviced. This includes cleaning and lubricating the calipers, surfacing the rotors if the have a rusty edge or scoring and/or replacing the pads including the anti-rattle shims, spring clips and wire springs that mechanics seem to always neglect.

If every part is not to Lexus spec, and present, I have found all types of noises to be the case. The clicking is often caused by missing clips, shims, or springs. It is caused by the pads moving in the caliper when changing direction. The grinding can be several things most likely a buildup of rust and brake crud on the rotor edge surfaces or calipers.

Thank Telefunken... you've given me some great answers on numerous occasions. Members like you contribute so much to this forum.

Regarding the noise when I back up, I was thinking it might have been a suspension component and was getting worried. I drive over 100 miles each day to and from work and I really do not want a wheel to fall off or something like that on the highway.

Well, I'm going to pick up a can of brake dust cleaner and clean out my brakes. Do I need to disassemble the front left brake to spray the stuff on or can I just spray with the wheel there? Thanks.

I feel you will be wasting your time. Everything should be dissassembled, cleaned, serviced and lubricated as necessary.

Also consider what SK has recommended.