Pet Peeves With Your Lexus?

Canadian

Just wondering about who else has any pet peeves about their Lexus and how they cope with them or even better, if there is a way to fix them please share. This isn't meant to get into issues or problems, just those little things that bug you or make you ask "why did they do it that way...."

Here are mine (2004 RX330):

1. "Lawyer Screen" on nav system and passenger cannot operate with car in motion. (I know there's a few hacks around but none seem to address the lawyer screen).

2. Power Window Override for driver -- in other cars (Volvo, VW, Ford, GM, Chrysler) the similar switch is used to prevent kids in the back from operating the windows, but the driver can still operate all windows. Some cars it's the two backs + the one front, but they all allow the driver to defeat the override and maintain window control. Not so my Lexus - with their switch all the windos are locked out for the passengers AND the driver (except the driver's of course). Drives me nuts in our house because when I drive I often with no kids and let the windows down while my wife often has the kids and wants the windows locked out. The results in constant bickering similar to the toilet seat up or down issue if one of us forgets to leave the setting conveniently set for the other's preference. Then when we're all in the car and are going to make a compromise and let the kids have their windows part way down - you have to un-lock the window and then quickly get it partially opened and then re-lock it out before the 5 yr old gets his hands on the switch and causes a stalemate!!! In other cars we just set the switch and the kids are locked out + driver gets full control + no issues with driver A vs driver B.

3. Cruise Control only has "partial" memory --> cruise on a highway, drop speed, hit resume and go back to where you were. No problem until you drop down in speed below it's lower limit or come to a stop - even if you get back up to highway speed the system has forgotten it's setting. Now you have to re-set a new cruise point. Other cars don't allow you to operate cruise under the lower limit but they keep the set point in memory so that you can hit resume when you get back up to the operating range. Frustrating with Lexus that such a simple thing is not done well.

Any other ideas on how to fix these peeves? Anybody else have others?

:blink:

1. "Lawyer Screen" on nav system and passenger cannot operate with car in motion. (I know there's a few hacks around but none seem to address the lawyer screen).

When was your RX built? I ask because half the 04 RX's werebuilt with the old gen II nav (like whats in my ES) and half were built with the Gen III nav. Are the buttons in your system tan or bluish green? If you have the gen III theres a kit you can buy that will auto push the "I Agree" button.

I've gotten used to it.

Power Window Override for driver -- in other cars (Volvo, VW, Ford, GM, Chrysler) the similar switch is used to prevent kids in the back from operating the windows, but the driver can still operate all windows.

This drives me nuts too and I'm surprised nobody else has ever complained about it. I can't understand the logic behind it, why would the driver want to lock himself out of control of any aspect of the vehicle?

Cruise Control only has "partial" memory --> cruise on a highway, drop speed, hit resume and go back to where you were. No problem until you drop down in speed below it's lower limit or come to a stop - even if you get back up to highway speed the system has forgotten it's setting. Now you have to re-set a new cruise point. Other cars don't allow you to operate cruise under the lower limit but they keep the set point in memory so that you can hit resume when you get back up to the operating range. Frustrating with Lexus that such a simple thing is not done well.

Which cars allow you to do that, I've never driven one that does. At least I don't think i have.

One peeve of mine is that theres no button you can press on the trunk to open it if the doors are unlocked, you have to use the key. Big pain if you have to dig in your pocket while your arms are full of stuff to open the trunk on an already unlocked door.

The trunk also should cancel the auto relock function of the doors. If I'm getting in the trunk as I walk up to the carI always unlock it and then pop the trunk. Well by the time I get around to the drivers door the car re-locks because a door hasn't been opened in 30 seconds since it was unlocked. I've even locked keys in the trunk by accident this way once.

hmm as for the window thing, im pretty sure with the lock button pressed, i can open any window using the driver side door buttons. If thats not what you guys are saying, sorry, i dont get it. I dont use that function anyways. Im annoyed by the sound the suspension makes when its rising (performance package). its an irritating whine. Oh i have a good one. The defroster button. WHen you push it, the orange light comes on...to turn it off, you have to push that button again, then the air con off button (two buttons). and if you accidentally push the air con off button with the defroster button on, the defroster light is still on, (doing what, i dont know) and then you have to push the defroster button which ofcourse turns on the air in which you have to push the aircon off button again. wow that was a mouthful. anyone catch that? lol

hmm as for the window thing, im pretty sure with the lock button pressed, i can open any window using the driver side door buttons. If thats not what you guys are saying, sorry, i dont get it. I dont use that function anyways. Im annoyed by the sound the suspension makes when its rising (performance package). its an irritating whine. Oh i have a good one. The defroster button. WHen you push it, the orange light comes on...to turn it off, you have to push that button again, then the air con off button (two buttons). and if you accidentally push the air con off button with the defroster button on, the defroster light is still on, (doing what, i dont know) and then you have to push the defroster button which ofcourse turns on the air in which you have to push the aircon off button again. wow that was a mouthful. anyone catch that? lol

My only pet peeve is that when I take either one of my lex out for a drive I just want to drive and drive and drive.:cheers: :D :D :D B) Then when I am not home ( out driving ) the wifey has a pet peeve. :D

Really, My pet peeve is the cup holder in the 98 g3. My cure for it is I use two can/bottle insulaters that fit in the rectangle space snugly, Water bottles/soft drink cans and my insulated coffee mug fits in there perfectly. ;)

people in bmw's and MB's that look at me and think they're all bad and speed by me. But, when they have a loan balance at least 6 times mine, and they're still intimidated by my 11 year old car...Nahhh...I retract this peeve.....

I'll go with DC's peeve...me too! I hate it when I get to where I'm going...especially to work! :cries:

My pet peeves in no specific order...

- The tranny takes a while to shift when the car is cold (which is the design).

- I wish my es had slightly higher ground clearance.

- No 'headlights left on' warning chime if you left your lights on (also normal).

- Oil filter location is a pain & messy (I wish I could sit down with the engineer on that one!) :rolleyes:

- location of cabin air filter.

- Cup holder design leaves something to be desired.

:cheers: