Why I Love My Rx300 (well, Like A Lot Anyhow)

tmhtmh

User forum boards are often just for complaints and problem solving. I have been in several discussions here about the sludge and tranny failure issues. however, as much as those things concern me a bit, I am still extremely glad I bought my used 2002 RX300 FWD. Is is as close to the perfect vehicle for me as I can imagine for features, comfort adn function.

All vehicles have strengths and weak spots. Fortunately, I know what I wanted and spent quite some time learning the strengths and weaknesses of most of the "car-based" SUVs before choosing the RX. Most of the "negatives" with the RX I read about may be very true, but they are non-factors for me! That's why I picked it.

Not really good off-road ...... I NEVER go off-road with my "car" which this is for me. "floats" rather than tight handling on turns ......TRUE! But I prefer this ride and never race on winding roads! Not for towing much weight - also likely very true given the tranny issues without towing. I have a small boat and a PWC, but I have a 2005 Odyssey that hardly can notice the boat behind it.

Also, most of the newer SUVs have an 3rd row seat. We use the Odyssey for family trip anyhow - that's why we have it! I didn't want a "van-substitute" I wanted a car substitute. And lastly, the RX300 does not look "outdated". Actually, many of the newer SUVs look more like it than the newer Lexus models. It's nice to have an 8 year old model design that still looks modern.

Actually, I can't find a single thing I don't like about this vehicle.

Now, if the engine dies or the tranny goes........

I agree, nice vehicle when it is altogether. I love the front seat for comfort, especially on a cold day with the heated seats. MY wife and I both have bad backs, the Lexus RX300 seats are a pleasure for long rides.The extra room in the back for hauling things when the seats are put down is great. The ride is fantastic for a vehicle of its stature. But boy do I hate the knowledge of the possible tranny failures.

I used to own that car until the lease was up, in which i bought my rx330. At first, when the rx330 came out, i was like "omg thats such an ugly car". funny i got the same reaction when the rx300 came out, and i ended up buying both. Both cars are great, as mentioned above, i just want a higher up sedan really. But no offense to the people who own the rx300, if you drive the rx330, you will want it. Im not saying the rx300 is bad, but imagine a car with all the things like your rx300, but with all the minor things fixed up and things that were great to be improved. ;)

I used to own that car until the lease was up, in which i bought my rx330. At first, when the rx330 came out, i was like "omg thats such an ugly car". funny i got the same reaction when the rx300 came out, and i ended up buying both. Both cars are great, as mentioned above, i just want a higher up sedan really. But no offense to the people who own the rx300, if you drive the rx330, you will want it. Im not saying the rx300 is bad, but imagine a car with all the things like your rx300, but with all the minor things fixed up and things that were great to be improved. ;)

Well, actually, no. I did test the 330 and ruled it out in about 1 min. Why? Well, it comes back to the 300 being a perfect fit for us. I have three young kids. The 330 redisigned the back seat basically making it for two people, not 3. Although the RX is not our "family trip" car, we needed to be able to use it for all five of us sometimes, and actually are using the RX300 for all 5 quite a bit because it is so comfortable for all.

I'm not saying the 330 isn't great. Most lexus owners don't car if 3 kids fit in the back. But the 2nd row middle seat is FAR worse than the old "hump seat" in old rear-wheel drive sedans. It's basically unsitable - and I grew up riding in the back cargo section of a Ford Ranchwagon so I'm not overly picky!

I THINK the 330 can have a 3rd row seat, but that's a pain to use also and then you're approaching a minivan which we already have.

I have owned 3 Rx300's and an Rx330. And, honestly, i like the ride/comfort/looks of the RX300 better than the 330.

Even thought i haven't had good luck with the rx300 series, i still think it's built better, and with better quality materials than the 330.

If they were still making the rx300's i'd buy another in a second for my next car!

i dont get what the difference is between the back seat of either car. I would think that the rx330 has more room...cause its longer and wider...but yeah, i think the seat layout is the same. Iono, honestly, i loved the way the rx300 drove, i didnt want to exit that car...but the stuff in it is just so outdated. THe OD off/on thing is annoying and well as the shift knob where u gotta push the button. lol. i dont know, i tend to like knew stuff whether or not its better

The back seat difference is that in the 330 they contoured the two outside seats in the back bench leaving the middle on kind of a "hump". Also, the back folds down as an armrest (console maybe also) and it is VERY uncomfortable as a seat back when up. Again, I'm not saying it's worse, maybe even better for 1 or 2 back there. But we need three across sometimes so it's not practical for us.

Yeah, I'm totally loving my '02 also. I only have 2 minor complaints that I'm sure were addressed in the 330, but dam I wish I had them...

1) The memory seat doesn't control the side view mirrors. WTF? The whole idea is that all your settings should be just a button away. As it is now, I don't adjust the mirrors properly because I don't want to have my wife changing them over and over.

2) No radio controls on the steering wheel. After driving my wifes Benz, that's something that I've become overly attached to. Again, I'm sure it's in the newer RX's, but I would pay a good chunk of money if I could upgrade to a wheel that had it.

Other than those 2 little items, we love the truck. It's funny actually, we're constantly driving around in it telling each other how nice it is even though we've said it like 1,000 times already.