A Tribute To The 1992 Ls400

sv7887

Hi Everyone,

Eleven Years ago to this day, we took delivery of our CPO 1992 LS400 with 24K on the clock. It was our first expensive car, and we weren't sure how well it would hold up. It was a lot of money for us then, and people (yes I know we shouldn't care what other people think) told us we were crazy and never should have spent the $$$ on a car.

Fast forward to today at 98K miles: $4,000 later in repairs and cosmetics (New P/S Pump, Rack, Upper control arms, Fan Clutch, Thermostat, Stabilizer Bar Bushings, Lower Ball Joints, Brakes all around, Rear Carrier Bushings, new drive belts, Timing/Water Pump, Leather Redyed, new cupholder, Cluster Needles Repaired, New Center Woodgrain, Left Rear Door Weatherstripping, Repaint of all lower mouldings, Repaint of Front and Back Bumper, new Climate Control Display)

Finally, she's close to done. All she needs is a set of new MXv4's, some tensioner work, and maybe some paintwork on the Left Front Fender.

This is the side she got hit by a Honda Civic at 20-30 MPH. I felt a faint thump but the car protected me.

92_CrashS.jpg

I was too busy yelling at the dumb blonde to realize that this car had spared me from serious injury. It took $6,500 to put her back together again. (New LF Fender, Entire LF Suspension replaced, New Coolant reservoir, new engine mounts, new wheel, new Front Bumper, new Corner Market lights) This car made it home, smoking from the suspension damage but spared itself the indignity of being towed back. It took 18 months to work all the kinks out from the substandard accident repairs. I thought of selling her, but always lost the nerve.

Here is how she looks today: (Pictures taken this morning and last night) These pictures are fresh out of detail:

LS_Side1.jpg

LS_RearS.JPG

LS_ExteriorS.jpg

LS_interior.jpg

I left the mat the dealer put in to service it..I only take her out once a week now. No more winters for this car, or any bad weather period. This car is starting to show signs of age mechanically, but hey it's given 14 years of solid service.

I took her up to 85 MPH this morning, you wouldn't believe it Pitch Silence...You still can't hear the engine at idle..The factory Pioneer Stereo still sounds great. The soundproofing is way better than our new MB S430. You can't hear the stereo blasting if you're standing outside of the car. Everything in this car feels like it was made to last forever.

It's a real privilege to own this car! I think we're all lucky to own a car like this!

I hope you all enjoyed this little tribute,

Sam

Hi Everyone,

Eleven Years ago to this day, we took delivery of our CPO 1992 LS400 with 24K on the clock. It was our first expensive car, and we weren't sure how well it would hold up. It was a lot of money for us then, and people (yes I know we shouldn't care what other people think) told us we were crazy and never should have spent the $$$ on a car.

Fast forward to today at 98K miles: $4,000 later in repairs and cosmetics (New P/S Pump, Rack, Upper control arms, Fan Clutch, Thermostat, Stabilizer Bar Bushings, Lower Ball Joints, Brakes all around, Rear Carrier Bushings, new drive belts, Timing/Water Pump, Leather Redyed, new cupholder, Cluster Needles Repaired, New Center Woodgrain, Left Rear Door Weatherstripping, Repaint of all lower mouldings, Repaint of Front and Back Bumper, new Climate Control Display)

Finally, she's close to done. All she needs is a set of new MXv4's, some tensioner work, and maybe some paintwork on the Left Front Fender.

This is the side she got hit by a Honda Civic at 20-30 MPH. I felt a faint thump but the car protected me.

92_CrashS.jpg

I was too busy yelling at the dumb blonde to realize that this car had spared me from serious injury. It took $6,500 to put her back together again. (New LF Fender, Entire LF Suspension replaced, New Coolant reservoir, new engine mounts, new wheel, new Front Bumper, new Corner Market lights) This car made it home, smoking from the suspension damage but spared itself the indignity of being towed back. It took 18 months to work all the kinks out from the substandard accident repairs. I thought of selling her, but always lost the nerve.

Here is how she looks today: (Pictures taken this morning and last night) These pictures are fresh out of detail:

LS_Side1.jpg

LS_RearS.JPG

LS_ExteriorS.jpg

LS_interior.jpg

I left the mat the dealer put in to service it..I only take her out once a week now. No more winters for this car, or any bad weather period. This car is starting to show signs of age mechanically, but hey it's given 14 years of solid service.

I took her up to 85 MPH this morning, you wouldn't believe it Pitch Silence...You still can't hear the engine at idle..The factory Pioneer Stereo still sounds great. The soundproofing is way better than our new MB S430. You can't hear the stereo blasting if you're standing outside of the car. Everything in this car feels like it was made to last forever.

It's a real privilege to own this car! I think we're all lucky to own a car like this!

I hope you all enjoyed this little tribute,

Sam

Very nice tribute sir... Hopefully, the one I JUST picked up will treat me as well as yours treated you.

Congrats on your phenomenal automobile.

Mike

Bought my first Lexus in late 1991, a new full-spec 92 LS400. Currently well over 100K, one oxygen sensor replaced and one anti-freeze flush & replenish, no "90k" service and still running extremely well and quietly on its summer only Bridgestone Turanzas.

Bought another used (Eddie Bauer off-lease) full-spec 92 LS for my VP of Marketing. He subsequently retired and we gave him the car. A few years later his wife wanted an Acura so I bought the 92 back and gave it to my brother in Memphis. Again, other than any work done while it was leased by Eddie Bauer the car has had power stearing leakage and alternator failures, both replaced. And again, well over 100k, no 90k service and my brother is super pleased.

Bought a used 1995 LS400 at 30k miles, for the current VP of Marketing. It now has well over 100k miles, the 90k service done (he had it done without first asking), and one failure of the exhaust gas recycle tube.

Two years ago I bought yet another 1992 LS400, $6500.00, this one with over 150k miles and the 90k service just having been completed. When first started up it drives as if the torque converter is just a tad tired. Otherwise perfectly running.

To be perfectly honest I bought that last one to use as a test mule for my experiments in trying to find a way to fix/modify the automatic climate control system and then maybe market a kit to all Lexus owners who were dissatisfied with the climate control operation or had experienced instances of sudden unexpected windshield fogging.

Oh, and I'm perfectly pleased with my HP level, 248.

My dad bought the Lexus brand new in 1992, and now in 2006 it is finally mine. it has 182k miles and still runs great. he offered to buy me a 2000 honda accord for graduation but I op-ed for the LEXUS, cant go wrong with a LEXUS. The car has held up well being over 14years old. No major problems yet, but little nik-nak things. I hope to use the car until i finish college and then purchase a SC430.

Great tribute.

Our 1997 has 129K miles on the odo and has suffered the indignity of two serious rear endings in her lifetime (both times the LS held up very well and the other cars were mangled). But she still looks very good and runs strong, smooth and silent. Three of us just took it to Phoenix, Tempe and Tucson for our annual Spring Training trip and in three days we did 1,200 problem free, quiet, swift and comfortable miles. The drivers's side rear speaker has died but the stereo still sounds excellent. The wood, plastics and coach leather are still in great shape (despite being out in the sun every day and no tint on the windows). Great car.

Wow, these comments make me feel good about my new purchase of a 92 LS 400. My first Lexus purchase, and now I know what I've been missing all these years. I paid $5k on a cold day, so I thought the AC worked, only to find out that it needs almost everything. Right now I'm looking at $1k in AC parts and labor. Other than that, and a few small ding bat things, it looks no more than 5 years old, white/silver like LRP-Ls400s. Drives like a dream and nearly silent at all speeds. Jacked it up and checked out the undercarriage, and things look exceptionally fresh and clean. My wife still thinks I'm crazy for buying a 14 year old car with 199k on it. Admittedly I went out on a limb a bit here, but my faith in all the reports I read and comments like these helps me keep my chin up. Glad to be a legitimate part of the club now, finding my self wanting badly an SC model! :)

Car looks great. How did you keep the seats looking like new? Most LS's I have seen that old have worn out leather on driver's seat. I wish my 95LS seats looked that good. MLS