Pt Cruisers?

nc211

That is correct, Then one would get what they are paying for. I didn't mind paying for my gs, I got what I paid for. ;)

I got what I paid for too......considering only about 25% of the underpinnings are modified Camry bits, the rest is Lexus. ;)

You kind of make it sound that one who buys a vehicle off the same platform is getting ripped off. :huh:

:cheers:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is correct, Then one would get what they are paying for. I didn't mind paying for my gs, I got what I paid for. ;)

I got what I paid for too......considering only about 25% of the underpinnings are modified Camry bits, the rest is Lexus. ;)

You kind of make it sound that one who buys a vehicle off the same platform is getting ripped off. :huh:

Not my intention, There are certain guidelines that I prefer to stand by. I really am not concerned what other people buy, That is there choice. I enjoy the choices I make, Or I would not make them. Life is quite simple when you abide by your decisions. That's all ;) I mean, I can't change the weather but I can change the automobile that I drive. :cheers:

Dang fella's, didn't know a PT cruiser could cause so much grief? Hahaha.

In terms of reliability...it's all relative to who maintains it. And with me at the helm, honestly, it'll be just fine. Actually hope is does break down here and there so I can tinker with it! But, according to the owner reviews on carpoint.com, I don't think I'll be getting that chance too often. My retired parents have two of them, one is a 02' which has criss-crossed the country...not a single problem. And I must say, is very comfortable for such a small looking car.

Cross-platforms....that's something that has no bearing on my decision, although I do see where DC is coming from.

In terms of power, we're coming from a Honda Civic...anything would be better. The Mrs... doesn't care about speed. She hates driving my car, says it's too fast and too quiet, says it's too hard to control. Sounds GREAT to me!! Keep your boobies away from my steering wheel.

But, what we're all missing here....what us "gear-heads" are not realizing here..is....SHE WANTS IT!!

And I must say, it makes perfect sense to me especially when her car payment drops from $299 to $200, plus a reduction in probably 70,000 miles on the clock. She racked up the miles on the honda commuting into Raleigh from Rocky Mount, NC "60 miles one way" everyday. Now, no more commute.

The OTHER thing you're missing is that if she wants it, she gets it, and I get to play that card in a few months....for that Big Ole's 42 inch HDTV widescreen I'm droooollling over :geek: . To her, a TV is just a TV.....But to me? Dude...Days of Thunder on a 42 inch HDTV with 7.1 surround vs. 27 inch standard Panasonic box I've got now?....Come on fella's....open your eyes to the bigger picture here! I've been given the golden ticket!! :D

Well...off to replace the flex-coupling on my Lexus, and rear brake pads again.... Chrystler PT's have flex couplings? Hahahaa....sorry, just being a smart !Removed!!!

Dang fella's, didn't know a PT cruiser could cause so much grief? Hahaha.

In terms of reliability...it's all relative to who maintains it. And with me at the helm, honestly, it'll be just fine. Actually hope is does break down here and there so I can tinker with it! But, according to the owner reviews on carpoint.com, I don't think I'll be getting that chance too often. My retired parents have two of them, one is a 02' which has criss-crossed the country...not a single problem. And I must say, is very comfortable for such a small looking car.

Cross-platforms....that's something that has no bearing on my decision, although I do see where DC is coming from.

In terms of power, we're coming from a Honda Civic...anything would be better. The Mrs... doesn't care about speed. She hates driving my car, says it's too fast and too quiet, says it's too hard to control. Sounds GREAT to me!! Keep your boobies away from my steering wheel.

But, what we're all missing here....what us "gear-heads" are not realizing here..is....SHE WANTS IT!!

And I must say, it makes perfect sense to me especially when her car payment drops from $299 to $200, plus a reduction in probably 70,000 miles on the clock. She racked up the miles on the honda commuting into Raleigh from Rocky Mount, NC "60 miles one way" everyday. Now, no more commute.

The OTHER thing you're missing is that if she wants it, she gets it, and I get to play that card in a few months....for that Big Ole's 42 inch HDTV widescreen I'm droooollling over :geek: . To her, a TV is just a TV.....But to me? Dude...Days of Thunder on a 42 inch HDTV with 7.1 surround vs. 27 inch standard Panasonic box I've got now?....Come on fella's....open your eyes to the bigger picture here! I've been given the golden ticket!! :D

Well...off to replace the flex-coupling on my Lexus, and rear brake pads again.... Chrystler PT's have flex couplings? Hahahaa....sorry, just being a smart !Removed!!!

Nc, If she really wants it, Get it. After all the dust settles She's always right anyway. My vote is : Whatever makes the wife happy ;) ( one learns to go along with this ) :lol: Let her pick it out, When she asks "Honey should I get it fully loaded with the turbo" Just say Honey anything you want is fine with me. In Fact have one personally built with some choice custom upgrades. Enjoy Life ! :cheers:

Spoken like a man with a fully stocked garage of tools and a few big screen tv's already!! Hahaa

Newsflash, if every car were built off the same platform you wouldn't be able to afford your GS either. Its because of low R&D cost vehicles like the ES that they can develop unquiely platformed vehicles like the GS and deliver them at a comfortable cost.

Anyways, I personally don't appreciate the insinuaion that those of use who bought vehicles that are built on shared platforms bought them because we were too cheap to buy vehicles on distinct platforms. Your GS is 8 years old, and maybe worth $12k. I compared the GS300 and ES300 new and got the ES simply because I liked the way it rode more, the cost was absolutely the same so the only reason to buy the ES was because I preferred it. Shared platform or not.

Newsflash, if every car were built off the same platform you wouldn't be able to afford your GS either. Its because of low R&D cost vehicles like the ES that they can develop unquiely platformed vehicles like the GS and deliver them at a comfortable cost.

Anyways, I personally don't appreciate the insinuaion that those of use who bought vehicles that are built on shared platforms bought them because we were too cheap to buy vehicles on distinct platforms. Your GS is 8 years old, and maybe worth $12k. I compared the GS300 and ES300 new and got the ES simply because I liked the way it rode more, the cost was absolutely the same so the only reason to buy the ES was because I preferred it. Shared platform or not.

Sorry you feel that way, I must have struck a nerve, Sorry about that too ! Insinuation was not my motive. My discussion on this topic was not directed to anyones choice of platform, Just mentioned that My choice is defined. If you think that the mention of the word " cheap " is a reflection of your choice of vehicle then so be it. Since I own both, I would have a gs ( for myself ) over a es anytime. Individuality should never be compromised......

NC..As you know..when entering matri"money" the wifie is "always" right! Only after a few years can you become "manly" and say "I don't have time to take out the trash" and surely you will lose on the "!Removed!" end as well!! HA HA..good luck buddy..The PT is in your garage...no doubt about it..:cheers:

Sorry you feel that way, I must have struck a nerve, Sorry about that too ! Insinuation was not my motive. My discussion on this topic was not directed to anyones choice of platform, Just mentioned that My choice is defined. If you think that the mention of the word " cheap " is a reflection of your choice of vehicle then so be it. Since I own both, I would have a gs ( for myself ) over a es anytime. Individuality should never be compromised......

Struck a nerve? No. I do however know exactly what you meant by what you posted, I just wanted to bring that to your attention.

As for your choice in vehicles, thats perfectly fine I couldn't care less what you drive. I might suggest you drive an ES that isn't a teenager before passing that judgement, but you can do what you want. The two cars are very differen't and appeal to a very different buyer. I'd just appreciate it if you don't disparage the choices other members on our site have made by talking down to them under your breath. You can say that wasn't your intention all you want, but I'm not buying it. Since I'm not the only person who called you on it here, my guess is others aren't buying it either.

I hope you guy's are happy with you PT nc. :)

Thanks amigo! We're still looking for the right one. Looking for a 05' White Limited fully loaded. Might have to shop at tirerack for a set of wheels though...some of the stock wheels are just gross!

I see you're a Subby fan! I use to have a 99' Outback, thing was awesome! I've never driven a car that wanted to go faster as the weather worsened! I called it my little "water spider". I remember evacuating Wilmington back in 99' from hurricane Floyd to Charlotte. I left after it had rained about 4 inches. As I was going up hwy 74/76 out to Charlotte, all of these big SUV's were going like 20 mph with their flashers on. I simply put my hands at 10&2 and never had to drop below 55 mph. When one wheel would hydro, the other three would grab and correct itself. It was the darndest thing I've EVER witnessed behind the wheel of a car. Never had a rooster tail from a car before. Never did I feel unsafe either. I pulled in to fill up on gas, and some guy next to me that I had passed earlier in a Tahoe said "what the hell kind of car is that?" Hahaha!!

Had to sell it when I moved to Birmingham in 01'. Just not enough power to get up and down those hills. I drove it for 42k miles, and I actually sold it, for what I paid for it as a demo in Kansas City!! You'll never hear me say a bad thing about Subaru.....except for maybe the prices now :blink: .

SW03ES,

Why bother arguing your platform-sharing point with dcfish? It's apparent that his understanding of the industry is considerably less than comprehensive. Other than custom-built one-off prototypes that cost millions, no vehicle comes close to being "unique", especially production vehicles available from any mainstream manufacturer you could name (including Lexus). He doesn't seem to grasp this, and it's just not worth being offended by it.

Hahaha....spoken like a man with more than one Sunday night "battle scars"! :cheers:

Clocks tickin' now. 26 days to go......

NC..As you know..when entering matri"money" the wifie is "always" right! Only after a few years can you become "manly" and say "I don't have time to take out the trash" and surely you will lose on the "!Removed!" end as well!! HA HA..good luck buddy..The PT is in your garage...no doubt about it..:cheers:

SW03ES,

Why bother arguing your platform-sharing point with dcfish? It's apparent that his understanding of the industry is considerably less than comprehensive. Other than custom-built one-off prototypes that cost millions, no vehicle comes close to being "unique", especially production vehicles available from any mainstream manufacturer you could name (including Lexus). He doesn't seem to grasp this, and it's just not worth being offended by it.

DC's got every right to say what he's said here, as he was doing what I asked in the thread's subject of input? I'm sorry guys, and I'm not trying to *BLEEP* on anyone's shoes here, but insulting him by saying his opinion is less than comprehensive is....mean.

He likes cars on their very own platform..so what? I like extra sour cream on my burrito supreme from taco bell.. so??? If I had the money, I'd be in a ferrari enzo. If I could convince the Mrs.. into a Lexus in general, I'd be more than happy! But, my small-town, daughter of a retired SBI agent, Carolina country girl doesn't want the "flash" of a Lexus when she visits her family back in their tiny town 60 miles east of here. It's just not her style. That doesn't mean she can't out-class ALL of us on here inside of 30 seconds, even in a PT Cruiser. ;)

Again, not trying to offend anyone here, but come on guys, let's tone down the opinion mud slinging. We're all friends here and DC didn't do anything wrong. He just voiced his opinion, which is what I asked for to begin with! :cheers:

LOC Diplomat has spoken....UN Session is now ajurned while I go review my hooked-on-phonics to learn how to spell. ;)

SW03ES,

DC's got every right to say what he's said here, as he was doing what I asked in the thread's subject of input? I'm sorry guys, and I'm not trying to *BLEEP* on anyone's shoes here, but insulting him by saying his opinion is less than comprehensive is....mean.

He likes cars on their very own platform..so what? I like extra sour cream on my burrito supreme from taco bell.. so??? If I had the money, I'd be in a ferrari enzo. If I could convince the Mrs.. into a Lexus in general, I'd be more than happy! But, my small-town, daughter of a retired SBI agent, Carolina country girl doesn't want the "flash" of a Lexus when she visits her family back in their tiny town 60 miles east of here. It's just not her style. That doesn't mean she can't out-class ALL of us on here inside of 30 seconds, even in a PT Cruiser. ;)

Again, not trying to offend anyone here, but come on guys, let's tone down the opinion mud slinging. We're all friends here and DC didn't do anything wrong. He just voiced his opinion, which is what I asked for to begin with! :cheers:

LOC Diplomat has spoken....UN Session is now ajurned while I go review my hooked-on-phonics to learn how to spell. ;)

NC, I compliment you on your acute vision and ability to filter the typed word. :cheers: I wish you and your future wife all the best :cheers:

My dedication to your wedding Rob.. :geek: Best of Luck my friend!!

It was the first day of school and a new student named Pedro Martinez, the son of a Mexican restauranteur, entered the fourth grade.

The teacher said, "Let's begin by reviewing some American history.

"Who said 'Give me Liberty, or give me Death?' "

She saw a sea of blank faces, except for Pedro, who had his hand up.

"Patrick Henry, 1775."

"Very good!" apprised the teacher. "Now, who said, "Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth?"

Again, no response except from Pedro: "Abraham Lincoln, 1863."

The teacher snapped at the class, "Class, you should be ashamed! Pedro, who is new to our country, knows more about its history than you do!"

She heard a loud whisper: "Screw the Mexicans!"

"Who said that?" she demanded.

Pedro put his hand up. "Jim Bowie, 1836."

At that point, a student in the back said, "I'm gonna puke." he teacher glared and asked, "All right! Now, who said that?"

Again, Pedro answered, "George Bush Sr. to the Japanese Prime Minister, 1991."

Now furious, another student yelled, "Oh yeah? Suck this!"

Pedro jumped out of his chair waving his hand and shouting to the teacher,

"Bill Clinton to Monica Lewinsky, 1997!"

Now, with almost a mob hysteria, teacher said, "You little *BLEEP*. If you say anything else, I'll kill you!"

Pedro frantically yelled at the top of his voice, "Gary Condit to Chandra Levy, 2001."

The teacher fainted, and as the class gathered around her on the floor, someone said, "Oh *BLEEP*, we're in BIG trouble now!"

Pedro whispered, "Saddam Hussein, 2003."

Finally someone throws a eraser at Pedro, someone shouted "Duck"!

The Teacher, just waking, asked "Who said that?

Pedro: !Removed! Cheney 2006! :cheers:

SW03ES,

You're right, its not worth it.

My issues were never with his opinion. I believe his opinion is shortsighted and as RX in NC mentioned based on a lack of comprehension of the nature of the Automotive industry, but they are his opinions and he's entitled to them.

My issue comes from his insinuation that it is those owners of vehicles built on shared platforms that don't understand what they are buying, got duped, and are too cheap to "pay what something is worth". That insinuation is insulting, and to put it the way you did "mean".

SW03ES,

You're right, its not worth it.

My issues were never with his opinion. I believe his opinion is shortsighted and as RX in NC mentioned based on a lack of comprehension of the nature of the Automotive industry, but they are his opinions and he's entitled to them.

My issue comes from his insinuation that it is those owners of vehicles built on shared platforms that don't understand what they are buying, got duped, and are too cheap to "pay what something is worth". That insinuation is insulting, and to put it the way you did "mean".

As an owner of a shared platform car, An es. I am cheap, I got dupped and I paid for something that was not worth it. I insulted myself and was also mean to myself. Nice spin. Nc, Sorry that this topic was seemingly used to tear myself a new one. Again, Best of luck with your future endevours. :cheers:

I hope you guy's are happy with you PT nc. :)

Thanks amigo! We're still looking for the right one. Looking for a 05' White Limited fully loaded. Might have to shop at tirerack for a set of wheels though...some of the stock wheels are just gross!

I see you're a Subby fan! I use to have a 99' Outback, thing was awesome! I've never driven a car that wanted to go faster as the weather worsened! I called it my little "water spider". I remember evacuating Wilmington back in 99' from hurricane Floyd to Charlotte. I left after it had rained about 4 inches. As I was going up hwy 74/76 out to Charlotte, all of these big SUV's were going like 20 mph with their flashers on. I simply put my hands at 10&2 and never had to drop below 55 mph. When one wheel would hydro, the other three would grab and correct itself. It was the darndest thing I've EVER witnessed behind the wheel of a car. Never had a rooster tail from a car before. Never did I feel unsafe either. I pulled in to fill up on gas, and some guy next to me that I had passed earlier in a Tahoe said "what the hell kind of car is that?" Hahaha!!

Had to sell it when I moved to Birmingham in 01'. Just not enough power to get up and down those hills. I drove it for 42k miles, and I actually sold it, for what I paid for it as a demo in Kansas City!! You'll never hear me say a bad thing about Subaru.....except for maybe the prices now :blink: .

Yup, I have a totally new found respect for Subi's since we bought my wife's! :D Considering the price point, it's one of (if not the top) the best full time AWD system in the business at any price point & reliability is outstanding too. B)

I'm liking the 2006 OB H6 VDC personally......I'm a 6 cyl man & always will be. But I think the Turbo's (XT models) are one of the ultimate 'sleeper vehicles' one can buy. :D