Thinking Of Entering The Lexus World

Hello All, I have been reading all of your fantastic info throughout the threads..... I am a first time user thinking of breaking away from my jeep GC and jumping into an RX400. I have taken it for a ride and very much enjoyed it. I am very seriously considering leasing one. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the price quote I have received. I will continue to shop, but I think the number sounds good.

Please enlighten me if I am incorrect.

2006 RX400 base model, no nav or M. Levenson, just a basic RX... the number is $599 36Months, 12k miles, $1,300 down

Seems very reasonable and only about $100 over the cost the grand cherokee.

Moving up to a lexus has me very excited! Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hello All, I have been reading all of your fantastic info throughout the threads..... I am a first time user thinking of breaking away from my jeep GC and jumping into an RX400. I have taken it for a ride and very much enjoyed it. I am very seriously considering leasing one. I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the price quote I have received. I will continue to shop, but I think the number sounds good.

2006 RX400 base model, no nav or M. Levenson, just a basic RX... the number is $599 36Months, 12k miles, $1,300 down

Moving up to a lexus has me very excited! Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I left the Jeep "fold" back in 2000 when it was becoming obvious that Chrysler would be "cheapening" the brand. Gave up my 92 Jeep Cherokee Limited for a new AWD RX300. Traded up to the 2001 AWD RX300 about a year later. Haven't looked back since.

It's beginning to look as if my next purchase will be an RX400h.

The 92 Jeep is still doing stellar duty out on a cattle and wheat ranch in north central MT where its true AWD and 4WD capabilities can truly be of benefit.

But beware, if you expect the ranch type work as the Jeep is fully capable of, from the RX, it ain't gonna happen.

I can't comment on the lease deal since I bought mine, but when you say it has no nav it leads me to bellive that it is the 2WD model... did they say it was the AWD?

I would go for the AWD due to the better traction/performance. And if you have never owned a car with nav you don't know what you are missing... I 'll never own anther car w/o it.

Otherwise, you will not be disapointed with a Lexus.

I can't comment on the lease deal since I bought mine, but when you say it has no nav it leads me to bellive that it is the 2WD model... did they say it was the AWD?

I would go for the AWD due to the better traction/performance. And if you have never owned a car with nav you don't know what you are missing... I 'll never own anther car w/o it.

Otherwise, you will not be disapointed with a Lexus.

You can buy a portable touch-screen GPS/Nav system for a lot less than the cost of a TRAPPED one in a Lexus. And IMMHO the AWD system in the RX series is nothing to write home to mom about. Obviously, with regards to the RX, the Lexus engineers are still trying to figure out how to build a decent AWD system. They might want to take lessons from Honda regarding SH-AWD. Or even, god forbid, have a look at the one in the GS300.

Thanks for your thoughts folks. Going to spend the afternoon shopping for the 400.

Can't wait to go for another test ride! I will take a close look at he Nav as well today!

I think the luxury of the RX will allow me to leave my jeep history behind

and enjoy the open road!

BTW... the price quoted is for the AWD.

Best regards to all.

I am convinced! I am going to take the plunge into a LEXUS....Spent Sun afternoon for about three hours getting the most out of a Lexus dealer. I had a charming young sales lady let me take all three flavors for a ride.... RX 330, 350 and the 400h.

I was again very much impressed with the 400. and enjoyed the ride over the others. 350 has just enough power to enjoy over the 330 but the 400 was Smooooth and quiet. I also love the wheels!

After going back and fourth a little between two dealers we worked out what I think is a very good value and even got a free trailer hitch.

The numbers turned out to be very good, so I even sprang for the Navigation. Can’t wait to spend lots of hours under the stars figuring out all of the cool stuff she comes with!

I wonder if I will enjoy driving this over my 70' road runner...... :)

I do know the gas will last slightly longer.

Thanks for listening!

You gas wil last waaaay longer! Congrats! By the way, does anyone know how much the dealers charge for a trailer hitch? I was looking at a hitch-type bike rack (accomodates 4 bikes) the other day.

does anyone know how much the dealers charge for a trailer hitch? I was looking at a hitch-type bike rack (accomodates 4 bikes) the other day.

If it comes from factory with the tow package then it was about $5xx, if I had to have the dealer install it afterwards it was going to be $6xx. These each included a ball mount (but no ball).

You can get aftermarket hitches for the RX but they do not look as well integrated as the factory one.

My rack bolts onto the ball mount, but would not work with the one from Lexus due to the width of the tang. So, I got one thru trailers4less that was also a little longer and had more of a rise. That way I could move the rack away from lift gate and not sacrafice ground clearnance (departure angle).

It is worth noting that the liftgate on these cars goes almost strait up due to where the hinge is located, so I am even able to open the back while the bikes are on the rack. Some racks offer a swing down (or away) feature that is also meant to provide access to the back without having to take the bikes down... this comes in way handy and is worth going for.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. The bike rack I saw at the bike shop positioned the bikes quite a distance away from the hatch door and costs $259. I did see one advertised in Northern Tool for $129 or so, but it looked like the vertical rack was closer to the hatch. Its description specified a 2-inch hitch? I believe.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. The bike rack I saw at the bike shop positioned the bikes quite a distance away from the hatch door and costs $259. I did see one advertised in Northern Tool for $129 or so, but it looked like the vertical rack was closer to the hatch. Its description specified a 2-inch hitch? I believe.

A 2" receiver is standard and that is what you will get for a hitch on this vehicle. It has the towing capacity to qualify for a Class IV hitch. Remember the rear door does not swing out as much as you might think. My reciver is only 9"-10" long (the rack bolts right where the ball would go).

Another thing to consider is a lock that will tighten and hold the receiver agaist the side of the hitch. The normal clearances between the hitch and the receiver are quite large and allows the rack to rattle and sway from side to side while driving. These type of locks work quite well to prevent this. They run about $25-$35 and are well worth it. Note: you can not use the "J" type (Reese, I believe) with the Lexus factory hitch because there is not enough material on the hitch for the 2nd hole that is required on that style of lock.

Thanks, Sky,

From where did you get your lock? Now I'm tempted to get the Northern Tool rack, based upon your info. Also, do you happen to know the hitch installation cost if it is done by U-Haul?

Thanks, Sky,

From where did you get your lock? Now I'm tempted to get the Northern Tool rack, based upon your info. Also, do you happen to know the hitch installation cost if it is done by U-Haul?

The lock was from trailers4less.com i think, it wasn't hard to find.

Check out Thule racks before you commit, you want this rack to last and be able to get replacement parts.

I think u-haul was kinda pricey but it was cheaper than the dealer. Your local mechnic (or you) should be able to install these things, they bolt right in. The wiring is already in the vehicle, just need to find the plug to hook in the harness that comes with the hitch. I think its under the rear deck somewhere and you need to feed it thru to the outside... from what I've read here. Mine came from the factory all set up. Besides, you don't need the electrics for the bikes ;)

You gas wil last waaaay longer! Congrats! By the way, does anyone know how much the dealers charge for a trailer hitch? I was looking at a hitch-type bike rack (accomodates 4 bikes) the other day.

My invoice shows 650 (It can pull up to 3000 lbs if I am not mistaken)