Coolant Type For System Refill

Joeb51

Not sure how much stock I would put into the fact they claim it lasts 500,000 miles. :blink::huh:

:cheers:

OK, Then what is the take on waterless coolant ?

Don't get me wrong dc....I have nothing to base my comments on as I have never used that stuff, but it does sound interesting......but a half million miles? If it sounds too good to be true..... :huh:

There are reports (as per Toys link to theoildrop) that it does not work well in some vehicles cooling systems.

Not sure how much stock I would put into the fact they claim it lasts 500,000 miles. :blink::huh:

OK, Then what is the take on waterless coolant ?

Don't get me wrong dc....I have nothing to base my comments on as I have never used that stuff, but it does sound interesting......but a half million miles? If it sounds too good to be true..... :huh:

There are reports (as per Toys link to theoildrop) that it does not work well in some vehicles cooling systems.

Just thought I would add something different to the thread, God knows everything else concerning coolants/oils/etc... has been ripped and torn.

I buy the 500K miles if it is in a 18 wheeler. It is like Amsoil, they state 25K miles but that is slim to none. Samething with this.

I have question in same area:

upper and lower radiator hoses has been changed.

Do i have to change other cooling system hoses?

Heater hose, Throttle body connection hose etc.

Dealer mentioned to me that i have four more hoses

in cooling sys.

As you know it's '97 w/ 185,000

Thanks,

Camlex, the cooling system consists of numerous coolant hoses and some are buried underneath the dashboard. Owners tend to think the most important hoses to replace the largest, most visible hoses = the radiator hoses. But long time Toyota mechanics and vintage Toyota enthusiasts like myself have found the radiator hoses are actually the most durable hoses of the cooling system and last a minimum of 20 years and more usually 25+ years because the grade of rubber Toyota uses is far superior to what's available in an auto parts store.

The hoses so keep an eye on after 15-25 years are the smaller hoses like the heater hoses.

The hoses most prone to developing leaks are even smaller hoses - like those associated with the throttle body.

The bottom line is the average Toyota owner need not be concerned about hoses until the car is at least 15 years old or unless there is an unexplained slow loss of coolant. If the latter the leak is likely to be no more than a tiny seepage leak from a small throttle body type hose. Auto parts store hoses are a double downgrade for two reasons: their made of inferior rubber and rubber that is not metric in size for a perfect fit.

With regard to Evans Coolant, this is another heavily advertized aftermarket product just like Redline Water. On a Toyota pickup formun a 24 year old owner tried it and his cylinder head gasket failed within weeks. Needless to say after that $1000.00 repair he went back to Toyota Long Life Coolant and distilled water.

Camlex, the cooling system consists of numerous coolant hoses and some are buried underneath the dashboard. Owners tend to think the most important hoses to replace the largest, most visible hoses = the radiator hoses. But long time Toyota mechanics and vintage Toyota enthusiasts like myself have found the radiator hoses are actually the most durable hoses of the cooling system and last a minimum of 20 years and more usually 25+ years because the grade of rubber Toyota uses is far superior to what's available in an auto parts store.

The hoses so keep an eye on after 15-25 years are the smaller hoses like the heater hoses.

The hoses most prone to developing leaks are even smaller hoses - like those associated with the throttle body.

The bottom line is the average Toyota owner need not be concerned about hoses until the car is at least 15 years old or unless there is an unexplained slow loss of coolant. If the latter the leak is likely to be no more than a tiny seepage leak from a small throttle body type hose. Auto parts store hoses are a double downgrade for two reasons: their made of inferior rubber and rubber that is not metric in size for a perfect fit.

With regard to Evans Coolant, this is another heavily advertized aftermarket product just like Redline Water. On a Toyota pickup formun a 24 year old owner tried it and his cylinder head gasket failed within weeks. Needless to say after that $1000.00 repair he went back to Toyota Long Life Coolant and distilled water.

So you want me to believe you that I put on 30,000 miles I can go 20 (mean) years on the OEM hoses; or 600,000 miles???? I think not. Your time interval is fiction unless you do not put on lots of miles. Heat and vib are the killer of hoes, not so much time.

Also this is not per Lexus FSM. Even they would say to not wait that long. Nevermind the fact you want me to chance a $8 hose to break and need a tow when miles from home???

To close, you want me to trust that Evens cooling fluid (with fluid vis etc) the same as normal coolant caused a head hasket to break?? Ya, right. You are leaving out more info here. Fluids do not cause gaskets to leak. There is more to it; fluids are the effect 90% of the time, not the cause; basic fluid dynamics here. To replace it, the person could have saved $950 since a gasket is about as cheap as a set of OEM brake pads.

So you want me to believe you that I put on 30,000 miles I can go 20 (mean) years on the OEM hoses; or 600,000 miles???? I think not. Your time interval is fiction unless you do not put on lots of miles. Heat and vib are the killer of hoes, not so much time.

Also this is not per Lexus FSM. Even they would say to not wait that long. Nevermind the fact you want me to chance a $8 hose to break and need a tow when miles from home???

To close, you want me to trust that Evens cooling fluid (with fluid vis etc) the same as normal coolant caused a head hasket to break?? Ya, right. You are leaving out more info here. Fluids do not cause gaskets to leak. There is more to it; fluids are the effect 90% of the time, not the cause; basic fluid dynamics here. To replace it, the person could have saved $950 since a gasket is about as cheap as a set of OEM brake pads.

That gasket was on the verge of failing prior to changing the fluid type. Nothing can convince me otherwise. And the hose story is a joke :lol: IMHO I don't mind hearing a bs story but don't try to make it sound like fact. <_<

The cooling system hoses of my 15 year old Toyota pickup with 469,000 miles are still in good condition. So are the hoses on my 17 year old Toyota Corolla with 248,000 miles. I don't think high mileage causes advanced hose deterioration assuming the engine is never allowed to run hot for extended periods.

The proven ways to prevent a Toyota engine from ever running hot as the years and miles pile up are:

1. Keep the inside the the radiator clean by using 50% Toyota Long Life antifreeze and 50% distilled water.

2. Keep the outside of the radiator clean by removing it every 5-10 years and cleaning out the bugs and dust using a garden hose and some detergent if necessary. Clean the AC condenser at the same time and in the same way.

3. Replace the cooling system thermostat every 5-10 years using a genuine Toyota thermostat and thermostat gasket.

4. Keep the engine tuned up properly using genuine Toyota parts (spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap,

rotor, ignition coils, etc.)

5. Replace / clean emission system componets as necessary to keep engine running at peak efficiency.

On a Toyota pickup formun a 24 year old owner tried it and his cylinder head gasket failed within weeks. Needless to say after that $1000.00 repair he went back to Toyota Long Life Coolant and distilled water.

A useless, and ignorant story. After the banning of asbestos, all Toyota head gaskets to became prone to either external weaping of fluids, or blowing out completely.

The truck v6's bear the brunt of it. Those sons of !Removed! blow out left & right because the GASKETS suck. Not because they overheat... Toyota only warrants the NEW style gaskets. (That they tried SEVERAL times and COULD NOT fix) for a few years.

The v6's in particular you are referencing also has poor cooling in the cylinder heads to begin with. A lot of large hotspots are in those heads. It is not uncommon for them to burn out the exhaust valves during the process of day to day driving...

So in short. You can *BLEEP* on a truck v6 and have the gasket blow. Saying anything on one contributes to the blowing of their gaskets is simply un-provab because the problems with them are so large.

If you want to prove Evan's iss bad stuff, you're going to have to go beyond the old truck engines to do so.

After the banning of asbestos, all Toyota head gaskets to became prone to either external weaping of fluids, or blowing out completely. The truck v6's bear the brunt of it. Those sons of !Removed! blow out left & right because the GASKETS suck. The v6's in particular you are referencing also has poor cooling in the cylinder heads to begin with. A lot of large hotspots are in those heads. It is not uncommon for them to burn out the exhaust valves during the process of day to day driving...

Far from being a fragile engine, the 3VZ-E V6 has proven itself capable of withstanding this kind of torture:L

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/toys.jpg

The cooling system hoses of my 15 year old Toyota pickup with 469,000 miles are still in good condition. So are the hoses on my 17 year old Toyota Corolla with 248,000 miles. I don't think high mileage causes advanced hose deterioration assuming the engine is never allowed to run hot for extended periods.

monarch,

just out of curiosity and in an attempt to find some slim sliver of credibility to you anicdote, what were your using for coolant in your 15 and 17 yo Toyotas before Toyota came out with their long life formulation?

I am guessing it was green and it was what everyone else was using.

steviej

monarch,

just out of curiosity and in an attempt to find some slim sliver of credibility to you anicdote, what were your using for coolant in your 15 and 17 yo Toyotas before Toyota came out with their long life formulation?

I am guessing it was green and it was what everyone else was using.

steviej

My 15 & 17 year old Toyotas came from the factory with Toyota Red Long Life Coolant. Toyota begin using this new coolant in it's new cars in 1987 - many years before silicate free, hybrid organic acid antifreezes were available in auto parts stores. In fact, nothing identical to Toyota antifreeze is even available today in auto parts stores.

Here are photos of my 17 year old Toyota taken in the summer of 2005: (car was mfgr'd in Dec. 1988)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/89hous.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/rad89.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/89.jpg

Here's a typical Toyota cooling system after 15 years of being filled with mainly auto part store antifreeze:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/camry.jpg

Far from being a fragile engine, the 3VZ-E V6 has proven itself capable of withstanding this kind of torture:L

monarch, I normally just chuckle at your stuff, but at this point. You've crossed the line of getting laughed & sending a few chuckles back and forth, to flat out ignorance. The 3vz-e is the weakest !Removed! POS from Toyota in the past 20 years. No engine more fundamentally problematic, no engine more under whelming.

I can't equate into words how ludicrous saying the 3vz-e is not "fragile" and that it can "reliably" power anything.

V6headgasket1.jpg

V-6headgasket2.jpg

V6headgasketdoc3.jpg

Three letters in a year and a half!? Hell nothing else had that many letters in so little time...

Owners of the revised genuine Toyota head gaskets

Get to enjoy such benefits as:

1) DID NOT Fix the problem of them blowing out in the first place because the replacement gasket is weaker than the original '87-89 gasket

2)

A - DOES NOT Stop the #6 exhaust valve from burning up

B - DID NOT Stop the associated superheating of the head gasket between the #4 & #6 exhaust cylinders

3) DID NOT Completely fix the external oil weeping problem until the last version of the head gasket

4) DID NOT Fix the fact that the heads have problems with large hot-spots

5) DOES NOT Fix the fact that the head bolts used on the 3vz-e are prone to stretching, and require re-torquing at 60,000 miles

6) DOES NOT Fix the connecting rod bolt problem

7) DOES NOT Fix the 3vz-e's weak crankshaft

Son you have really show yourself on this one. While normally you're content to beating your little wings in the grey areas. You're flying in the flat out ignorance zone at this point.

camry.jpg

WTF...

No That's your "Typical" cooling system after the moron owner<s> have not flushed the fluid out on schedule... Toyota red does the same thing, it simply takes an extra year to do it.

*edit*

In conclusion. You really need to stay in the grey areas. Just stick to saying that Toyota anything is the greatest anything of all time & quit trying to form... Flat out pitiful mechanical opinions. Becuase I gotta tell ya. Based off the above, it's something you're *really* not good at.

*Edit #2*

And OH MY GOD.

Dude you are *the* most hypocritical person on this forum. As many times as I have heard you blabber on & on about everything from additives, to coolants.

You:

Advocate cleaning the throttle body & idle valves of carbon build-up. (And I've brought this up once before)

& Now you freely admit that you change HALF your coolant every year, or two. Yet claim "Toyota Red" is good for the 5 years, 50,000 miles Toyota specifies. How would you know?