First Lexus (gs 300)

I just leased a new 2006 GS. So far I love the car except for the brakes. The brakes work well even at full antilock but the pedal seems spongy and low at times. Is this normal (I hope not) or do I have a problem.

I'm just turned my BMW 530i back in from it's lease and the brakes were superb. Firm pedal right from the top and ofcourse very powerful.

Overall I like the Lexus better than the BMW but they are just entirely different cars.

Thanks for any comments or help anyone can give.

can you elaborate on the feel of the brakes...was does spongy mean, lol, it springs back?, cause its suppose to do that lmao. And "low" does that mean that its farther back sometimes? I dont think its a problem...but yo ucan bring it up on your next visit, which i think is a 1K or 5K check up.

can you elaborate on the feel of the brakes...was does spongy mean, lol, it springs back?, cause its suppose to do that lmao. And "low" does that mean that its farther back sometimes? I dont think its a problem...but yo ucan bring it up on your next visit, which i think is a 1K or 5K check up.

Spongy in the sense that you can easily push the pedal all the way to the floor when at a dead stop. Some might call this a soft pedal.

ahh, i understand now, its easy to push down sometimes because it wants to make it easier on your feet when at a dead stop. its kinda like the whole mercedes and volkswagon thing where the car will stay stopped at a stoplight so you dont have to waste energy holding down the pedal...except nothing like that. It will change on many factors, including the break asist, which senses an accident and then pushes down for you to the maximum, thus creating the "spongy" feel to it.

Congrats on the new car. I think what you're experiencing is simply the difference between a bMW and a Lexus. The controls and pedals on a BMW are very heavy, and things like the brake pedal are lighter on a Lexus. You'll get used to it.

SWO is right. My sister has a 2006 BMW 3 series and her brakes are very different. One soft touch on the brakes and the car brakes. She drove my car one day and said you need new brakes..lol She said the same thing you did...she has to press the brakes down to far to stop. Then I said, you need to get used to them..my brakes are fine.

If you want your lexus brakes to feel more like a bmw - change out your break lines with stainless steel ones...I did - and the spongy feel is gone...not sure if they make them yet for the '06s though...

I'll thank you not to spawn model specific *BLEEP*ing matches on our forum please.

If you want your lexus brakes to feel more like a bmw - change out your break lines with stainless steel ones...I did - and the spongy feel is gone...not sure if they make them yet for the '06s though...

I'll thank you not to spawn model specific *BLEEP*ing matches on our forum please.

congrats on your car

previous 5 series owner here too and yes brakes on the bimmer stop better than the lexus but overall i like the lexus and spongy is normal as long as your pedal doesnt go all the way to the floor

thanks

You sure it just doesn't feel like they go to the floor?

Have you asked the dealer? You might want to try test driving another 06 GS to compare...

It could be an issue with air in a brake line somewhere...