Torque Spec For Upper Ball Joint

raq1025

Remove upper suspension arm.

Move ball joint stud back and forth five times, then install nut.

Using torque wrench, turn nut continuously one turn per 2-4 seconds and take torque reading on fifth turn.

If torque reading is not 9-30 in. lb. , replace upper suspension arm and ball joint.

Fpr 93 LS400 it is 48 ft lb for the upper ball joint x steering knuckle and it is 112 ft lb for the lower ball joint x lower arm. Assume that the values are the same for the 92 but not certain.

Curt

Wait a minute, you guys kind of lost me. I was told by the dealer that you HAD to replace the whole upper control arm to replace the ball joint. Is it possible to replace just the ball joint? I have all the pickle forks which I used on many vehicles over the years to replace ball joints, nor do I ave any problems with undertaking such a job. Let me know please.

Denny

Thanks to all. It was just the upper I was curious about. I replaced the struts on the car and had to free the ball joint from the spindle to get the fronts in. I wanted to make sure I had them tightened enough. I torqued them to 50ft/lbs which is a little over. It is my understanding that the upper balljoint is formed into the control arm and cannot be pressed out. The lower balljoint is also formed into the arm it is attached to, though I don't know the name. The upper control arm is a dealer only part. The lower balljoint is comon to another Toyota product and can be purchase from another manufacturer.

• 4 months later...