Sc400 Races Porsche "s" Turbo........

JIBBBY

OK this is for those Lexus extremists.....I have to share this one with you all.....After having my car disabled for close to three weeks due to recent mods I have been doing to it I finally got my 1992 SC400 running strong and ready to go for this weekend.

So this is what happens - I was out cruising last night around 9:00pm before going out for the night. I thought to myself let's see if I can find a quick race and test out the cars new hp gains. I was hoping to find something that would be a close match... but was not looking to race a power house... Anyway went cruising on my favorite race street which runs along the Marina Del Rey freeway in LA, California, it is a safe two lane one way straight for about two miles with only two lights, no cops, no cross traffic, very smoothe and about as safe as street racing can be...Alot of nice new sports cars ride this road to get to their expensive homes or condo's in Marina Del Rey.

Now I normally don't go looking for races they usually come to me on this road... Anyway I cruised back and forth on this road and on the third time around, bingo A Porchse 911 "S" turbo pulls up to me at the first red. I cannot see what Porchse model it was and I was just hoping it was not a Turbo, but I noticed it was not a boxster and that car was brand new. I said what the heck if I lose I lose so playfully I tap the gas while braking, and right then I knew it was on, he edged forward. This is along red light so you can mess around abit. I shut down everything the cooling fans, radio, etc.. and arm the 125hp NOS system with a newly charged and heated NOS bottle (showing 1000psi) My car was as ready as it could be. The light turns green and we bolt off the line, I hit the gas and press the throttle/pedal to about 85% just for a split second which is just enough to keep the rears from spinning out of control, I then notice the Porsche blasts off and is already a car length ahead of me, I then immediately floor the pedal the rears break loose a bit as the nos kicks in fully, I then get a little sideways for a split second, I am now in second gear rear wheels are still just spinning abit and I am catching and just about even now with this Porsche and then I hit the 3rd gear and the Porshce slowly pulls away....and that is when I realised it was a brand new Porshce "S" turbo... We get to the next red and I give him the thumbs up and he did the same back to me... I get home and do a google search and find that that Porshce does 0-60 in 4.1 seconds. So I was impressed that I was able to stay close to that little beast...End of story.

I should probably post race stories that I win, but this was such a good one, and we were both ripping down the road pressed back against the seat, very exhilirating.... I did get a little wheel hop with the new fatter rear tires which really stinks. Anyway, I hope I did not bore you all with this story....See ya

Let's see, what have I done to my car. Briefly-

Intake

Exhaust

ECU piggy

Supra limited slip differential

Dragon Torque Converter

Electrical stuff

Nos

1" drop Springs and Shocks

10.5 tires and rims

Then I basically restored the cars looks in and out..it's a very clean ride and fun to drive..

Lastly that was not a Boxter I raced.....trust me on that one. It was as fast or faster then a new corvette with 400hp. That little Porsche could really move off the line. I guess because of the engine being in the back of the car and all the weight just sitting on those rears really helps with traction. I even had a great takeoff and it was already out ahead. Anyway, it was a fun all out race that I enjoyed.....that is why I posted it..

Fella's this was not a Boxter I raced it was a Turbo 911 S, with two exhaust pipes going out towards the rears and not in the center like the boxters do.. I can take a boxter I would think those are the slowest of the Porsche's. I have already beaten a new M3 BMW just barely with this SC...0-60mph. So my car can almost roll with the big boys, and it's fun...I just wish my car had another 100hp that would just about get the job done for me...Oh well...

Those Porsche Turbos are all wheel drive. Helps in getting off the line tremendously. As long as the clutch holds up...which I heard those Porsches are strong. It's the 4 wheel drive Lambos that wanna break if you drive them hard off the line.

Well that explains why that Porsche jumped out ahead of me. I thought it gripped really well because the engine and weight sits in the rear of that car.

I have fat rear tires with a limited slip differential going on in comination with a vantastic torque converter wound tight. In addition to that I also am lowered an inch with good but not great racing suspension. My traction is very good considering how light the back ends of these SC's are, but I still cannot compete with these 4 wheel drives like that. The new Corvette's with the 400hp is about the only other car that has a greater take off and can get a jump on me but not like that porsche....Wow grip city....it was a full car ahead right from the get go....I was wowed to see it jump out like that..I new right then I was in trouble.....I usually get out in front and stay out in front up til about 70mph then my car drops off a bit....Oh well it was still one of my funnest races I have had to date.

Jibby, the fastest car I've ever been in in my entire life was a Porsche. It was a 944 Turbo with a chip in it, back in 1991. I was passenger, and we were racing one of those Chevy Cyclones with that turbo vortec engine "same as the grand nationals?", all wheel drive. I swear to the big man, every drop of fluid in my body was wrapped around my spinal cord the whole time. I don't remember what the color of the cyclone was, as I never saw it again after the porsche engaged 1st gear, but I do remember screaming "dear god, please slow down" when the driver threw it in..... third gear! I don't know what those germans know over there, but damn, they've got it when they want it! That thing was not just fast, it was pure freakin' EVIL. I loved it! If I recall, those cyclones went 0-60 in like 5 seconds? Well if that's true, then that porsche hit 60 in 4 seconds, no later. Nothing in that parking lot could touch it, not even the other snot nosed kid with the 911, not the Iroc's, vetts, tweaked out mustangs or that kid who borrowed daddy's ferarri convertible "can't remember the name of that one anymore". It was balls to the wall fast!

If you could see what state his license plate was from on that porsche you raced, then I'd say you did just fine! :cheers:

Watch out for the Subarus WRX-Sti also at the start. Not only are they usually modded, but they're all wheel drive too and guys just redline and drop the clutch. Next thing you know you're playing catch up.

I had a 2004 Z06. Tough off the line to launch to the fullest, but do it right and it was gone. Too bad mine turned out to be a lemon. Had it for 15 months. I miss it. :cries:

Watch out for the Subarus WRX-Sti also at the start. Not only are they usually modded, but they're all wheel drive too and guys just redline and drop the clutch. Next thing you know you're playing catch up.

I had a 2004 Z06. Tough off the line to launch to the fullest, but do it right and it was gone. Too bad mine turned out to be a lemon. Had it for 15 months. I miss it. :cries:

You mentioned a SUBARU, is that the AWD turbo 4 cylinder? Just curious?

Yeah, I here those SUBARU's are really quick especially off the line and if the intake is changed out on them. Infact this is very ironic because I am trying to find a really safe and empty street to race a Subaru 4 cylinder turbo this weekend somewhere in LA....A couple of friends are trying to set this up. By any chance that wouldn't happen to be you I would be racing would it? I noticed you live in Arcadia. Ca. ;)

I can play catch up with the best of them, especially when that second gear kicks in and the rears start to grip. That little Subaru better have a serious head start, or else it should be caught. Just remember a little over 400hp in an SC400 is no easy car to beat especially if it is equiped with a Dragon Torque Converter and Supra Twin Turbo Limited Slip Differential on it. However, after racing that Porsche I do see a clear advantage at take offs with the manual transmission, AWD light weight turbo'd cars. Infact a while back I almost lost a race to a old Honda Civic that was turbo'd and gutted but was not AWD. If it were not for the Civic's poor takeoff off (turbo delay) and poor traction, I may have lost, it was starting to catch me even in my second gear I was so suprised. This race should be fun....

However, my car is currently having some minor issues, but should be ready to go by the weekend if the weather is infact permitting. They say it might rain. There is no way I will race an AWD in the rain. I will lose for sure.

My little issue I am having is with my recent hydro pump deletion it is starting to play games with my ECU just a bit....I should have it figured out shortly, hopefully a cross circuit where it was unplugged will fix the problem...

Oh by the way, what do these Subaru's do 0-60mph in?

Not me, dood! I've got a 92 SC400 now that's in the shop getting pimped with audio gear. Currently driving a 91 LS400 that's only got 91k on the motor.

We'll have to get together sometime. I'd like to see how that tranny of yours is working. Was thinking about putting that dragon torque converter in. Did you do it, or did you have someon else do it? If so, how much did it cost?

Let me know if that back alley race with you and the Subie ever materializes. I'll come and watch. I'll video it if you want. :) Those WRX Sti models will run 4.6 - 4.9 second 0-60s according to the magazines.

If it's nice out, I might even bring my ZX-12R and you can really see how slow cars are compared to bikes. LOL

Peace!

That is just so funny that you mentioned that Subaru. Sounds like it maybe a close race after all if it does 0-60mph in the high 4's. Shoot I did not know they made a Subaru that fast that was AWD. We have been trying to plan this for two weeks now.

To answer your question - Yes I did install the dragon torque converter and yes it made a huge difference from takeoffs, it brings a whole new feel to the car but does nothing for top end power or speed. Makes for very quich take offs....Infact you will be able to spin your one rear tire (open end differential) some from a stand still which the SC's can't dream of doing stock not even the newer ones I don't think... Anyway, I purchased the T.C. on line a year ago for around $900 and when I got I had a tranny shop through it in for $300.. It's expensive but the results are impressive. Changing out your exhaust is another way to get great HP gains. The exhaust and the torque converter are the biggest limitation with the LS and SC400's.

In regards to the race, it should materialize and your welcome to check it out. We are looking for a quiet street non residential somewhere around or near the LA area to race 0-80mph any ideas "ANYONE"? There is a airport in the San Fernando Valley but it is too far for all of us to meet out their. The steet I usually get my races on there is a light and it we would have to time it, and there could be a few other cars so that street in not a go. It would have to be a smoothe mile street with no cars, no houses, no cross traffic and no police. Maybe an industrial area. A safe place...ANYONE?...

I thought the 11's were respectable in the quarter... If you guys say so then I would go to a race track.. But when I see those big blown Chevy's and slicks take the track I will get nervous real quick........Still there is no track in LA that I am aware of.. Anyway, I got these pretty little headers I am still looking at in my living room, and I need to get them in my car asap....The top end is where my car lacks, and those headers may make a good little difference...

Thanks for all the respect and encouragement you are giving my car I put alot of time, learning, and hard work into it, to make it what it is today, a somewhat fast Lexus....I am not done with it yet! I want to get into those 11's then I may say I am done with this car....