Coil Springs. A Question Or Two

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Would I notice any difference [handing/ride wise] IF I replaced the coil springs on my '93 LS with 128,000 km's?!

One of the reasons I'm thinking of replacing the coil springs [along with all of the other suspension parts I AM having changed - see 'Please Do Me A Favour' message] is to level out the car. It is about 1" lower on the drivers side. Would new coil springs level my car?!

A quick response would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig!! :)

it sounds like one of your struts are shot. i'd look into that, if you didn't want to replace everything. as for new spring/strut w/ 1in drop... i'd saw yes, large difference. personally i haven't tried this but from what i read you basically give up some ride comfort due to lowered stance, and you recieve more handling due also to lowered stance. also depends on how stiff the shocks/springs are (sport inspired, luxury etc.) most say stick with OEM for OEM (quality, reliability, Warranty), other wise there's really no telling what you'll get unless you know a lot about suspension components. just for the record i'll use tokico shocks and Tanabe springs, of course i'm not looking for stock performance. Good Luck w/ your decision! :cheers:

i dont think hes trying to lower th car , its just that the car sits lower on the drivers side and he wants to know if he changes all the struts out will the car be level all around again

anyway i think thatmight solve your problem unless you have some structural damage on thAt side

Hi ko90ls, sha4000 and Arkansawyer!! :)

I appreciate the responses.

I'm definitely changing all struts and strut cushions...

So if doing THAT levels off the car - that's great.

But what I want to know is what effect replacing the COIL SPRINGS would have on my car.

Do COIL SPRINGS wear out [become weaker] over time?

Would ALSO changing the COIL SPRINGS [along with the struts] improve the handling of the car?

[and sha4000 is right - I do mean OEM struts and springs]

Thank you!!

Craig!! :)

he will notice a difference in the way the car sits if the springs that he has now are weak, and i think they are if one side is out of wack. you ever saw a car that wasnt lowered intentionally but the wheels are tucked up in the fender?

he will notice a difference in the way the car sits if the springs that he has now are weak, and i think they are if one side is out of wack. you ever saw a car that wasnt lowered intentionally but the wheels are tucked up in the fender?

sha:

Yeah, I had a F(ound) O(n) R(oad) D(ead) F250 pick 'em up truck like that once...............Don't have it anymore..................

Now that I think about it, that truck is one of the major reasons I like Lexus soooooo much.

Springs keep the height and bear all the weight of the car.

Shocks only slow the bounce bound/rebound compression of the spring.

So if your shocks wear out they also cause more load on the springs and they wear out as well.

It is a good idea if one corner is bad that you completly replace the suspension other wise you will only be wearing out your newer compnents faster and pay more to replace them in the long run.

Springs keep the height and bear all the weight of the car.

Shocks only slow the bounce bound/rebound compression of the spring.

So if your shocks wear out they also cause more load on the springs and they wear out as well.

It is a good idea if one corner is bad that you completly replace the suspension other wise you will only be wearing out your newer compnents faster and pay more to replace them in the long run.

SK explains it the best