Satellite Radio Antenna Does Not Need To Be Outside Of The Car

This maybe old knowledge to most of you, but for those who may not be aware of it: I was deterred from getting a satellite radio for a long time because I did not want to have the antenna cables threaded through door seals, etc. and the idea of another antenna stuck on the roof with a magnet or glued and going through a carwash etc. was more than I was willing to put up with. As I was looking at the latest Sirius and was talking to the store clerk, he pointed out that the antenna would do fine staying inside the car, on the dashboard, as long as it could "see" sky through the windshield glass. It worked perfectly! I had my satellite radio up and running in 15 minutes! Having done that, I am really enjoying it. I assume this would work for all the commercial satellite radios (Xm, Sirius, etc.) though I have only done it with Sirius.

The Siruis antenna is genrally installed next to the mirror. The only problem is on the new Lexus models the rain sensors for the wipers may cause interference

I have mine in the middle of the dashboard, equal distance from both mirrors, and it works great. It comes across very clearly.

I have mine right in the middle of the dash also and it works great. If you ever lift the dash panel for some reason you could instal it under the plastic. It will shoot right through that also

I have mine (Sirius Sat) right next to my rear-view mirror. No interference with the rain-sensing wipers. Longo Lexus of Los Angeles installs Sirius in all of their cars for free, so they have tons of experience enabling Sirius on Lexuses. The RX400h next-to-rear-view-mirror install looks pretty good (out of way), and reception is great.

I have mine right in the middle of the dash also and it works great. If you ever lift the dash panel for some reason you could instal it under the plastic. It will shoot right through that also

I have mine (Sirius Sat) right next to my rear-view mirror. No interference with the rain-sensing wipers. Longo Lexus of Los Angeles installs Sirius in all of their cars for free, so they have tons of experience enabling Sirius on Lexuses. The RX400h next-to-rear-view-mirror install looks pretty good (out of way), and reception is great.

Where is the radio itself situated? On the dashboard? If so, how do you avoid having a hanging cable from the rear view mirror to the dashboard? I have kept everything on the dashboard to avoid that kind of problem. Also, the suction cup never worked. The radio kept falling down. I finally mounted the radio on the dashboard with sticky Velcro, hid all the cables (except the absolutely necessary connecting power cable and antenna cable) in a black leather box, and put that on the dashboard as well, Not very elegant, but it works like a charm.... sort of.

Mine is a Kenwood docking system so I can use it anywhere. I made myself a plexeglass stand that sits in front of the center council. I just put some velcro on the dash to hold the antena in place. This way I can remove it when I want and use it in another vehicle.

Where is the radio itself situated? On the dashboard? If so, how do you avoid having a hanging cable from the rear view mirror to the dashboard? I have kept everything on the dashboard to avoid that kind of problem. Also, the suction cup never worked. The radio kept falling down. I finally mounted the radio on the dashboard with sticky Velcro, hid all the cables (except the absolutely necessary connecting power cable and antenna cable) in a black leather box, and put that on the dashboard as well, Not very elegant, but it works like a charm.... sort of.

His is the OEM integrated Lexus unit I believe, so everything is controlled through the radio with no external box.

His is the OEM integrated Lexus unit I believe, so everything is controlled through the radio with no external box.

That is correct. My Sirius Sat radio is integrated. The wires have been hidden and run through the ceiling, down the pillar, and into the back of the radio. I access Sat radio by pressing the AM button until Sat1, Sat2, and Sat3 appear. I can save those three banks of pre-sets, or scroll through the stations. The "Type" button works to surf the Sat stations.

That sounds like a much better setup. I wonder if anybody who does not have an integrated device has been able to make the suction cup supplied from Sirius stick to the Lexus dashboard, given the curvature issues etc.