Rear Brake Caliper Replacement

VBdenny

Man, can't be too happy about this. My right rear brake caliper seems to be hanging up again. Even after a short drive, the right rear rim gets hot (the left side stays fairly cool). I would be interested to hear if anyone has replaced a caliper, and if anyone has any technical information on doing so. I have replaced calipers on other cars and I have tools. I would appreciate any information. Thanks, Denny

For what it's worth, I just went out and jacked up the car and disaasmbled the rear brakes. The pads don't seem to have any abnormal wear. I cleaned up the caliper and I hope it will last awhile. I'm going to replace it anyway as things like that bother me. It looks to be a straight forward easy job except for the fact that I'm in New Jersey this week at our apartment and I really don't have a convient place to do the job. I'll have to take the car back to Virginia Beach when I have all my tools and such. Hopefully I won't smoke the rotor driving down since it's 350 miles. How about a suggestion as to where to order a new caliper?

I checked the Plano TX site and found a caliper. They are about $270. They also sell a caliper psiton for under $50. It doesn't look like it would be difficult to change the piston, anyone know if that's all thats needed? Someone mentioned something about an O ring.

I didn't know there was a drum brake inside the rotor. I never use the hand brake except at annual vehicle inspection. I do believe it is the caliper because it ate a set a pads on that side only. I replaced the pads last month and they seem to be doing okay as far as wear goes. Any tips on disaambling the parking brakes? I really appreciate the info.

Denny

there is a caliper overhaul kit available from lexus for price around 30-40$

check it out at ur local dealer. OEM part number 0447950102

Thanks Bklyn, I really appreciate the diagram. Yeah, no problem doing a rebuild, it'll just have to wait until I get the car back to VB. Here in Jersey, I just don't have anyplace good to work on it. I guessing it's kind of a similar situation where you're located as well. After I cleaned it up this morning, it seems to be doing okay for now, but man the rim was hot this morning after driving about 5 miles. Did you get your rim vibration figured out yet?

not yet, still waitin for my rim to arrive, then i will swtich it with that rear left and drive on a highway. btw use some of that liquid wrench on ur caliper, thats what i did when it got stuck, workin fine since then. i have a good store in brooklyn where i usually do my repairs. if you are close to brooklyn you can step by and let them check it out.in jersey i saw some shops in the union/elizabeth/kenilworth area but i never used them.

h, I'm trying to decide if I want to drive it back to VB Thursday, then I'll have it there for 3 or 4 weeks. I need to rebuild the caliper, replace the A/C compressor/dryer, change the oil, and add another coat of Collintes #845 Insulator wax. If not I'll have to hassle with it here in Nj

make sure you get a brake caliper hone and hone the cylinder cuz thats most likely the reason that your piston is hanging up. if some mechanic pushed in the piston at an angle that could be the reason for your sticking piston.

I have a hone. If I remember correctly, you soak the stones in brake fluid and then hone. Interstingly enough, the problem started shortly after I had the dealer do 120,000 mile service which includes flushing the brake fluid. I probably had a little mositure in the cylinder which is causing it to drag. I'm driving the car back to Virginia Beach tomorrow and I'll do it there. I also could still use some information on how the parking brakes set-up works so I can check that as well. I appreciate everyones suggestions.

the parking brake uses a drum brake system inside of the rear brake. if you remove the rear rotor(remember to release parking brake when doing this) you will see a drum brake assembly. i dont know how to adjust it but i doubt its havging up. try and put you car id drive and see if it moves with your parking brake on. if it does it means that you brake arent working at that pint its not you parking brake heating everything up but it should hold your car in place. now release your parkiong brake and if it moves smoothly without trouble then your parking brake shouldnt be the one thats hanging up

I called Lexus about a rear caliper rebuilt kit (OEM# 0447950102) They priced it at $34.13 BUT it was way back ordered. I asked about a replacement caliper,(which they had in stock) $365. Luckily, he gave me the name of a local parts supplier that sells Lexus parts. They had the rebuild kit for $24.60. They also have a rebuilt caliper with pads and warrenty for $94. I ordered the caliper and pick it up tomorrow. They guy did recommend using Lexus pads which these were not. Mine are new so I'll just do a switch.

I also inquired as to whether or not they ship and he said they do. He said it was okay to post there name. Might be a good place for comparision shopping.

Bap/Geon

612 First Colonial Rd

Virginia Beach, VA

757-425-7100

Another place that saved me a whole lot of money.

VBdenny

I'll take pictures and post when I replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I want to take my break calipers off. Can anybody provide me with pictures of how to do this. If nobody has pictures I will pay somebody money to take theirs off and take pictures of how to do it if that is really necessary. Thanks so much for all of your guys time! Best Regards,

-Jason

Jason,

I will be replacing my RR caliper either tomorrow or Sat. I was planning to take pictures. I expect it to take less than an hour. And no, you don't have to pay me.

Denny

I planning to do it tomorrow morning as I'll be out of town for awhile after Monday. I whip you some pix and stuff I learned. What year Lex are you working on and why are you taking off your calipers?

Denny

Hey,

I have a 1991 LS400 and I need to take it off to replace the pads (and do some cleaning too while i'm at it). If you don't have enough time to post the pictures on lexus owners club then I can make a full quality gallery on my site for you! You can e-mail them to me at Jasoneo5@comcast.net , if you would like. Thanks so much for your time and help man! I really appreciate it!

-Jason

Well Jason, the good news is you don't have to remove the calipers to replace the pads. You must have been working on Beemers again. The Leuxus caliper is tow parts and the inner parts, including the pads ortate out. Just reomove the lower 14mm bolt and you can swing out the inner caliper with the pads. They are simple, just look them over. Hey my thinking is this, if you can't figure it out by looking at it, you probably shouldn't be working on them anyway. Easiest brakes I've ever done.... and I've done a lot!

Here is the link to buy it:

http://www.lextasy.com/storeb/agora.cgi?ca...n&ppinc=search2

It is a kind of spray paint and it only cost me $23.00 bucks. I love detail work also. If I were you, I would clean those calibers very well before putting it on as I am going to. Here is the description off the site:

Add the ultimate custom look to your Lexus with high-temp caliper paint. Easy to use in a spray-on aerosol can, you can have the show-quality look you've been wanting in just minutes. This paint is self-priming and can be applied to either cast or aluminum calipers (provided they've been degreased thoroughly). Unlike other caliper paints on the market, our paint dries quickly and won't chip. Available in a number of wild colors such as Red, Yellow, Blue, Black, Green, and more. Comes in a 16 oz. spray can. Another fine Lexus part. Shipping is $8.00

How is the Caliber Replacement going? Hope all is well. Thanks,

-Jason