Dash Kit For Gen 1 Ls400 Aftermarket Stereo

ToddLS400

I got a tip from a friend this weekend on a dash kit. He gave me a # to a stereo shop guy up here in the Seattle area that says he can get dash kits for the gen 1 LS400. I'll keep ya posted... There is also a Car Toys here that will custom make you a dash kit. They charge $150 to construct a dash kit out of your old stock stereo housing. I'm hoping there is an aftermarket kit with a pocket. That's what I really want. I want to have good sound in my car. I'm sick of that el-cheapo Pioneer system. I turn the bass all the way up and I barley get any. The stereo sounds ok at low levels but I like to listen to my music loud and at full range... Maybe I'll get another Kenwood DVD player?

Hey Todd, are you planning to upgrade your speakers? I'm sure that when these cars were new the speakers were considered excellent however any speaker after 13 years really get burnt. I had a Kenwood in another car and when I cranked it (which I also enjoy) I blew out the two front speakers. Let me know whatcha think. Denny

Oh yeah, all of the speakers will go bye-bye. I was thinking Infinity, MB Quartz, Boston Acoustic, etc.. I think I'm going to put 2 - 12" woofers in a single, ported box with a quality amp (Phoenix Gold?) bridged. I have a very good 360W Alpine amp in my boat that I will use in 4 channel mode for the fronts and rear. That amp is too good plus I'll be using the boat for maybe 2 more months. I need to put on 18" rims/tires before I do the stereo anyway. So I'm about 2 months away from doing the stereo and less than a month away from doing rims/tires.

i did the stereo setup in the Legend and it sounds much better then original nakamichi system in LS.

i installed 2 tweeters on the dash, 2 6.25 speakers in front doors and 2 6x9 speakers on the back, front ones are aound 260w pair and rear ones are 350W a pair. those 6 speakers are powered but 4 channel 800W pioneer amp. all speakers are pioneer as well. oh and i got a 1 farad capacitor as well to compensate the shortages. another 800 1 way pioneer is powering 2 12 inch dual voice coil rockford fosgate woofers. in a custom box. the head unit is alpine CD receiver with 2 preams and 2 sub output. whole setup is worht around 800$ with self install. so far i'm happy with nakamichi system in the lexus and if im in the mood for some loud music and ruff drivin i use legend with whole music thingie and manual tranny:)

AS to the dash kit, none of the shops here in brooklyn have em. i checked around 8 of them. but some of them offer to create a custom one but i doubt it will be a good one. ive seen one of those "creations" in a first gen LS. no good.

The custom one I saw on Saturday looked ok. He painted the rest of it black to match the rest of the dash. Car Toys does good install work. I've had a stereo system and an alarm put in at that place. Why doesn't anybody make a dash kit??? I still haven't called that guy yet. I'll do that tomm...

I think I may install my own stuff too. I just installed my boat system last weekend. Pioneer CD head unit, Alpine 360W amp, 2 weather proof KLH 100W all purpose speakers, 1 MTX 10" enclosed sub. The system actually sounds pretty damn good. I spent about $350 dollars on everything. Car Toys is giving out 2 free 10" MTX woofers with any amp over $150. I hate doing installs but it saves you a few hundred dollars in labor.

my advice dont get those cheap mtx subs, all they gonna give you is vibration, but no clear crisp bass. whole car is gonna vibrate making all those noises and screeches. also you can go to bestbuy and buy a dynamat from them for 100$ and they gonna do free install of it. this dynamat thing will take off a little of that vibration if you will still want to put those MTX

No, I got those MTX subs for free. I built 1 box for the boat. That's not that big of deal as I use the boat 2-3X month max. I use to have a Phoenix Gold single 12" sub in my old 300ZX. That sounded pretty good. I will use top quality stuff.

Too bad we can't all win the lotto, I can think of a bunch of ways to spend money on the Lex. Since that isn't the case I'm going to do all the mechanical stuff first, then I'd have to opt for the tunes. I guess that tires and rims would come last since they still work okay. I really appeciate all the info y'all have. Rock and roll, you guys are inspiring!

yeah i feel you :( i can picture my car with a body kit, 19 inch rotating rims and completely repainted. i'm livin for this moment for now. as soon as i will graduate from college and get some steady decent job i will do it first thing:) btw does any1 know where i can find those rims?

• 4 weeks later...

So what was the outcome on the dash kit? Did you ever get a install kit for the LS400? I have a 1994 model and would be interested in one too :)

BTW: I completely agree with you on the BASS issue... Low levels are "OK" but still barely ANY bass at all.. Almost ANY factory stereo system has more bass than this factory Pioneer in the LS400 :(

Is there anyway to increase the BASS level without replacing the whole system? or adding a seperate sub? (like maybe a gain control somewhere... mine is sooo low- I'd swear, it's like the amp powering the sub is turned all the way DOWN)

Thanks in advance

I understand that the following is not state-of-the-art high tech stuff, but someone may be interested:

Sometime back, I bought a amplified(powered) woofer[2-channel] system and installed in an extended cab 97 F-150. Now the bass is really there !!!!! So much so, that you sure don't want to turn up the bass control very high. The system is about 8" x 2 1/2" x 7" and best of all it cost around forty ($40.+) dollars. Believe I got at a Western Auto or Pep Boys.

I really should put one in the Lexus since it is low on bass.

FYI !!!!!

Since I brought up the above-I looked at the data for clarification.

It is a Sparkomatic,SS65, 6"speaker,2 ports,dual voice coils,heavy magnet,has level control on unit for blending w/ existing speakers,freq. cutoff above 120hz,100watt max,50watts at 10%, freq 30-120hz @-3dB slopes.

Cost was $49.95

It does make a big difference and unless you are a 'phile' the 10% doesn't matter.

19 inch rotating rims

Please no!!!!!!!!!! LOL

I'm all down with aftermarket rims, but the spinning rotating jobs look ghetto as hell. They look at home on something garish and flashy, like a Navigator or a Escalade, but way out of place on something classy and understated like a Lexus. (my opinion, of course)

• 2 weeks later...