Paint Choices

corky

We are thinking about trading our "98 ES300 in for a newer model..I really like the Sage paint color on our present car but not that fond of the Mystic Sea on the 2003 model.. was the Sage paint color replaced by the Mystic at the same time of the body style change ?

Yep. I love the Mystic Sea actually, I think aside from what I have, the Black Garnet, its about the best looking color on the car.

Personally I think the car looks great in that, the garnet like mine, it looks great in silver. I'm not fond of black, I think its a little stark on the ES. I'm also not fond of the blue, I think its a little flat. The Alabaster (kind of milky not quite silver which Lexus calls "the unwanted child") is a little odd.

I actually have trouble telling the Alabaster from Millenium Silver without being up close to the car. The Millenium Silver has a more metallic appearance with a hint of gold. I thought I remember a third color called Starlight Pearl that was almost silver too. I remember seeing the paint samples in the 2002 ES viewbook, and thinking "I know silver is the hot color right now, but why 3 of them?" Of course, 02-03 owners can fill me more in on the color differences, as the colors can be hard to judge from a viewbook.

Blue with black doesn't exist, unfortunately. It says it does on the website, but in reality Lexus doesn't produce them, only special order from Japan. Thats what I originally wanted. No grey either, only with ivory. Partly why I dont like it. I hate ivory interiors. Thats a problem with the Mystic Sea.

The Starlight Pearl also no longer exists. It was available right at the first run of the 02, but since Lexus has no longer been producing them. Think of it as somewhat like a baby blue. Quite.....ugly.

A lot of the color combinations shown in the brochure in reality are unavailable. You can't get black garnet with grey for instance, only black or ivory, and black is rare. Black exterior with grey interior? Forget it, only black and ivory. Even Millenium or Alabaster with black is fairly rare. Mystic sea with grey? Forget about it. White with grey? Forget about it, only ivory.

Its frustrating, so before you get your heart set on a color combination, go to the dealer first and see their color allocation chart. That'll tell you whats really out there.

I remember seeing a very light blue when the 02's first came out, that must have been the Starlight Pearl. I'm also surprised to see that Millenium Silver is hard to find with the black interior--on other Lexus models (IS, GS, SC, and even, to a lesser extent, LS), that is a very popular combination.

but would you really want a black interior..... i love grey (ex: camry) in comparison... doesn't get so darn hot.... i dislike a baked car.

and black exterior shall always be my bestfriend (don't care about that being too hot..... black cars are this girl's best friend :D )

I LOVE the black interior. I had grey for a long time, and the black is just so stylish and elegant looking. Doesn't show as much wear or dirt, you never seem to get tired of it, where I got very tired of grey. Plus black is also an excellent contrast for the wood. Its just beautiful. Doesn't get that hot either, with the solar tint glass and all. Just get a sunshade for the windshield and remember to pull the shade over the moonroof. Silver on black doesnt get hot at all.

Here's the ES with the black. This isn't mine as I dont have a digital camera that works, but mine's identical.

ESDash.jpg

i saw a broken down 96 today on the highway...wanted to trade mine in ;)

i don't really like the wood stuff......

and i just love black period......if i dont get stuck to it, it's all good.....as for sunshades, i can't find one that i like...the one i got for free with the car i used to catch the oil leaking from my car so i didnt stain the driveway (gave up....and it shows)

also saw a lexus es 250 on the road today, and an alfa romero or whatever....today has been a weird day i suppose.

my dig camera is dead (lost battery so i dunno what i have to buy to replace it)

i must say, i do love that black interior, sure beats the heck outta my purplish !Removed!....

I agree with SW03ES post above. The black leather interior doesn't get that hot. In fact I had my '94 ES300 for 9 years and the interior looked as good as the day I bought it, and I did very little maintenance to keep it looking great. That's why the dealer scooped it right up for a terrific trade-in price.

You can get them from several places like I have, its custom cut to the shape of the windshield, and they're thick so they dont crumple apart. They cost around $50.

www.griotsgarage.com has them.

Its true about the black not showing wear. Sit in two say 95 LS400s, one with black one with tan, which one looks better?

i would think black would show more wear...

i decided tonight that i am going to look into trading in my 92 es for a newer lexus...i love them already (even though mine sucks......it still rocks in comparison to all others ;) kinda odd eh?)

and i want black or that dark green color...

don't really know much about what color choices were for what years, and can't seem to find any info online :(

piggy, LexDiamond has all the previous year's brochures.

Drop a PM.

SW03ES, couldn't help noticing you pic.........you need to get gas.

:lol: :P :whistles:

The black leather is very very tasteful and elegant, and I am envious. But I like mine too.

My aunt has the black with ivory interior.