Cigarette Smoke Smell

Clean out the interior air filter "I think your car has one" with some compressed air, or just replace it. Maybe some Fabrezz on the headliner and I would put some Downy fabric softener sheets in the car for a while, let that absorb the odor. Have you had the interior detailed?

Take it to an interior detailer who does a thorough job , my guy when i am too lazy takes the front seats out an all. As well as using a bio chemical mixture to break down smells and dirt ( probably pine-sol ) but it works great and does not smell.

Other than that buy an auto ionizer and leave ti plugged in 24 hours a day for about a week and it will reduce the smell ,but to remove it totally it will need cleaning.

I also hear that a thorough cleaning of the windows helps to remove the chemicals that the cigarettes leave behind. Be sure to wipe down the dash and seats to get rid of the ashes (you'd be suprised where they can work their way to). Also, if the PO was a super heavy smoker, the headliner might be slightly black over the driver's seat. Use febreeze and leave all the windows open as much as possible to let the car air out.

Tobacco smoke- is one of the most difficult smells to remove from a car, as the smoke permeates almost every interior finish. Start by cleaning the carpets and upholstery with an extractor and 303 Carpet & Spot Remover TM. Clean leather, vinyl and all interior glass surfaces with approved cleaners, once the carpet has dried for 24 hours, sprinkle with baking soda, rub it in to ensure that it penetrates the fibres and leave it for about a week, then vacuum the carpet to remove. The baking soda should absorb the remaining odour in the carpet. As with all smell and odour removal change check the cabin air filter, change as necessary

Don't forget the headliner, as this is the source of most of the tobacco smell.

Valuguards Odor Terminator is not a perfume or cover up scent; it’s an unscented formula that chemically alters the proteins that odour causing microbes feed on. It's non-toxic, non-allergenic, fast acting without offensive perfume smell and will not damage interior materials or components.

For the removal of smoke, pet odours, petrol (gasoline) and virtually any organically caused odours (inc mould) in carpet, seats, headliners, upholstery and heating and air conditioning ducts, spray a fine mist over the entire vehicle interior beginning with the headliner and finishing on the carpeting. Odor Terminator is a contact product and must be sprayed on the source of the odour. Be sure to spray under the seats. A/C system ducts- spray into all vents, turn on the fan blower and spray into all intakes. Extractor Units: add 4 ounces Odor terminator to each gallon of extractor solution. Clean interior glass after use to prevent spotting. (http://www.autoint.com )

Edited by TOGWT

And once you went through the whole cleaning and filter changing process place for two nights a supperplate with grained fresh coffee into each front legroom. Coffee works astonishing good. Believe me - I'm a heavy cigar smoker and I can sell my cars without smell every time.

And once you went through the whole cleaning and filter changing process place for two nights a supperplate with grained fresh coffee into each front legroom. Coffee works astonishing good. Believe me - I'm a heavy cigar smoker and I can sell my cars without smell every time.

Product called NOK-OUT best stuff out there... google it

• 3 weeks later...

If you are looking for a cheap and quick fix, there is an upholstery cleaner called "tuff stuff" that works well. It's about $3 a can. I spray it on, then vacuam, and then spray it on lightly again. Then, just wipe with a dry towell (I use microfiber). After sitting a few minutes, it smells freshly shampooed (not that chemical smell that you get with some upholstery cleaners). Just remember to get the windows and leather with a cleaner.

It also gets out the black stuff on the headliner.