Towing

Harlo

Hope I'm in the right place...I'm looking at a 2001 lexus SUV. I live on a lake and would use it to tow a few boats once or twice a year. It would only be for a few hundred yards. Is this ok for this kind of vehicle and can I get a hitch on it? Also how would you compare this to the Mercades SUV?

Thanks for your help!

Hope I'm in the right place...I'm looking at a 2001 lexus SUV. I live on a lake and would use it to tow a few boats once or twice a year. It would only be for a few hundred yards. Is this ok for this kind of vehicle and can I get a hitch on it? Also how would you compare this to the Mercades SUV?

Thanks for your help!

towing the boats a few times a year shouldn't be a problem. i wouldn't use tihs vehicle to tow boats for miles on a weekly basis

compared to the mercedes SUV?..hmm..the RX is the best selling luxury vehicle of 2005..need i say more?

Thanks for your help!

Typically, the RX300 is rated for 3500lbs with the factory tow system. I've pulled my boat for short distances but do have the factory tow. I would believe it all depends on what boat you are pulling. I wouldn't question it if it were a light boat 2000lbs or less. My boat weighs 3000lbs without the trailer.

Compared to the MB SUV, there is no match to Lexus reliability and quality. Although I think the MB doesn't lack quality but if you compare the repair needs, there is no comparison.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help-it looks like I have to get the lexus...it's the only one I can spell-

I hope you go for the Lexus, it is a fantastic car. I had an RX300 for 5 years and absolutely loved the car, except when its transmission fell apart at 90,000 miles. There is some discussions on why this happens, but my breakdown happened 1 week after I had one of them quick lube outfits flush out my transmission. If you do get a used Lexus, make sure you don't have anyone but the dealer work on any transmission related service, and you should be fine.

I have recently traded my RX300 for a new RX330, but I kept the RX300's factory towing hitch thinking it would fit my new Lexus, but it didn't. If you get an RX300 without the towing hitch, I will consider selling my hitch for a heavy discount to get rid of it. If interested, email me at nikal11@yahoo.com

Kalinsandiego.

Thanks for your help!

Typically, the RX300 is rated for 3500lbs with the factory tow system. I've pulled my boat for short distances but do have the factory tow. I would believe it all depends on what boat you are pulling. I wouldn't question it if it were a light boat 2000lbs or less. My boat weighs 3000lbs without the trailer.

Compared to the MB SUV, there is no match to Lexus reliability and quality. Although I think the MB doesn't lack quality but if you compare the repair needs, there is no comparison.

Good luck!

I wouldn't advise anyone to buy an RX300 or 330, especially for towing, due to the instances of premature transaxle failures being reported.

My own 2001 AWD RX300 came from the factory with the towing package (removed the hitch immediately), external ATF cooling radiator in front of the right front wheel well. and NO requirements for transaxle maintainance for the life of the vehicle.

At 40,000 miles the ATF was looking murky and smelled burned. Dealer advised that I needed to flush and refill every 15,000 miles, OF COURSE! Contacted Lexus about the matter who referred me back to the dealer. Now at 50,000 miles I fully expect a failure before 75,000 to 80,000 miles even if I keep the ATF in good "working" order by removing the clutch wear debris via drain and fill every 15,000 miles.

I sure wish Lexus would step up to the plate and either reprogram the ecu or admit they have a major design problem. I too would not recommend towing. I am on my third tranny. Just peachy, considering the so called reliability of these overpriced toyotas.

Once again monarch misses the point of the post.

If you own an RX, DO NOT TOW. The transmission is the Achilles heel of this vehicle. If you tow, you are going to increase your chances of transmission failure.

Thanks for your help!

In 2001 towing prep package was standard. This is the trans cooler and the electrical connector. In order to tow you would need to add the hitch. a plug in control module for the connector and a pig tail. You may want to do a search here on "transmission" and read some of the problems associated with the RX trans. I don't think I would put any more strain on this weak link.

Its a bit irrational to think such light towing would wreck a tranny in good condition. I don't recall any of the failures reported here (again and again) to be caused by towing either heavy or light. As several of you contiunously point out SOME RX 300s have had big transmission problems, judging by the detailed accounts you give these have happened under ordinary driving conditions and don't seem to be precipitated by any "kind" of driving. Seems almost like a crapshoot, you get a good tranny or you don't.

I am curious about one thing though, several of you on this list are very open with your contempt for your RX's. With the seemingly excellent resale value of RX's why do those of you who dislike yours so much, keep them?

Very simple if you're a stickler for financial details as I am - taking a severe bath on depreciation overrides the relatively decent resale value of an RX300. I plan all of our vehicle purchases from a tax standpoint down to the last minute detail. As long as my financial model doesn't change (and it hasn't thus far) I will not come out even or ahead until my wife's vehicle reaches 125,000 to 130,000 miles. Once that happens, you can bet that it will be evicted from our garage....

Its a bit irrational to think such light towing would wreck a tranny in good condition. I don't recall any of the failures reported here (again and again) to be caused by towing either heavy or light. As several of you contiunously point out SOME RX 300s have had big transmission problems, judging by the detailed accounts you give these have happened under ordinary driving conditions and don't seem to be precipitated by any "kind" of driving. Seems almost like a crapshoot, you get a good tranny or you don't.

I am curious about one thing though, several of you on this list are very open with your contempt for your RX's. With the seemingly excellent resale value of RX's why do those of you who dislike yours so much, keep them?

I don't like the Lexus climate control design so I modified it to work to my satisfaction. I didn't like the idea of only using snow chains on the front so I added wheel spacers so I could use tire chains on the rear primarily and add them to the front if it became necessary. If my transaxle should fail prior to my next SUV purchase (most likely to be an RX400h) then it will be DIY time. That way I can find out just exactly what is failing and at the same time modify the center diff'l so the mechainical drive is only to the rear and the VC provides drive to the front.

Life is a compromise and so is buying the most appropriate SUV for the purposes you intend.