Heavy Gas Consumption Due To Oil Clumps In Engine

I'm a bit outside of my neck of the woods here. But...has the air filter and airflow been checked yet? It would seem to me that the three main ingredients needed for cumbustion "fuel, air, spark", and one was not even, the other would over-compensate for it. Basically...if your engine is not getting enough clean air flow, them maybe it's over-compensating with more fuel to created the needed combustion to run the engine??? I say this after I just cleaned my throttle body of slduge this past weekend, and observed an impressive increase in my mpg on my way home "130 mile trip". It has been taking just a tick under half a tank...now, it takes just a tick over a quarter of a tank. And my air filter is very clean..but the throttle body was dirty, especially around the butterfly valve for the airflow. When I say around it, I mean on the outter edges, where air comes into the intake.

just a thought, but didn't see anything about checking the air flow into the engine being mentioned yet. might check your air filter before spending bigger buck$$. Hope this helps???? :cheers:

Thank you.

I did find that part no for all three O2 sensors are common(234-4209). So are they same?

He mention that universal comes without connectors. How to connect with existing connectors?

You'd have to cut off the red and black wires from the existing connector, and splice them with the new wires from the new sensor by using wire connectors, crimping tool and some electrical tape. The following link shows how this is done on a Lexus LS400.

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/EFI/mainoxygensensor.html

camlex, below are some possible consequences of using a universal sensor on a late model car like yours:

http://www.smsgj.com/Oxygen%20Sensor%20Que...d%20Answers.htm

Q:  What is a universal sensor?

A: A universal sensor is a base sensor, which does not include the direct fit connector.  Splicing is necessary for installation. Universals were widely used in the early years of vehicles equipped with oxygen sensors.

The possibility exists that the user could select the wrong base sensor by assuming that all sensors with the same wire count are equal.  All Oxygen Sensors are not created equally.  Each type is matched to the make, model and sub-model application and cannot be mixed.  It is impractical to offer a universal sensor for many applications due to heater types, ground types and other characteristics.  Improper selection of the universal sensor could result in serious damage to the engine management system, including failure of the engine control unit (ECU) and/or the catalytic converter. 

Yep, I've got 2 Bosch Universal ones in my car.

The only difference is the pig-tail. As long as you are compairing the same kind of oxygen sensors, they're all the same thing. The tolerance of the output is so small, yet the operating conditions are huge... Unlike spark plug wires & spark plugs, it's not gonna hunt you to put a non OEM part in there. It's more like an air filter.... Anything will work better than what you have, as long as it's a new part!

But ya, the only difference in the Denso universal & the Denso OEM part should be the fact that the Denso universal simply doesn't have a connector on it's pig-tail.

I always preffer heat shrink & solder, but for that matter you can twist the wires together & wrap them in electrical tape, or crimp them. It doesn't have to be great, it just has to connect & not let lots of moisture in so you don't get black wire rot. (Copper corrosion) For that matter.... You could twist the wires together & shove them in a bottle of RTV, or something LoL!

Really doesn't matter, just make a connection & keep moisture out.

post-744-1137606241_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hello,

I did talk to mechanic about O2 sensor, he mentioned that milage has nothing to do with O2 sensor.

Hope this helps.

without getting too tecnical if you pull a plug from each bank you can get some idea of how rich or lean you are running. Pull more if you want to compair cylinders. the darker the color the richer. You want a light tan