Do You Use Your Garage?

SilverLady

Do you put your GX470 in the garage every day?

I have what I assume is a standard 2 car garage with standard garage doors, which I measure at about 95" wide at opening. There is a large metal pole between the two car bays, so the vehicle needs to go in straight. To make it a bit more complicated, you come up the narrow driveway, then have to backup for a 90 degree turn into the garages at the side of the house.

Right now I am very adept at getting my 96XLT Ford Explorer into and out of the garage several times a day. The main difficulty is the mirrors. I can do it well, but it is close.

I note that the specifications for my new GX470, due in a couple of weeks or so, are 4" wider than the Explorer. These numbers are all without the mirrors, so it is hard to tell where I am going to wind up.

So, how easy is it for you all to get the GX in and out of the garage??? Easy enough to do it all the time?

Do you put your GX470 in the garage every day?

I have what I assume is a standard 2 car garage with standard garage doors, which I measure at about 95" wide at opening. There is a large metal pole between the two car bays, so the vehicle needs to go in straight. To make it a bit more complicated, you come up the narrow driveway, then have to backup for a 90 degree turn into the garages at the side of the house.

Right now I am very adept at getting my 96XLT Ford Explorer into and out of the garage several times a day. The main difficulty is the mirrors. I can do it well, but it is close.

I note that the specifications for my new GX470, due in a couple of weeks or so, are 4" wider than the Explorer. These numbers are all without the mirrors, so it is hard to tell where I am going to wind up.

So, how easy is it for you all to get the GX in and out of the garage??? Easy enough to do it all the time?

My garage opening measures 97" and I have about 6 1/2" clearance on both sides of the mirror when backing into my garage. An opening of 95" should give you about 5 1/2" clear on both sides. After awile you'll get used to parking it in your garage. LOL

My garage opening measures 97" and I have about 6 1/2" clearance on both sides of the mirror when backing into my garage. An opening of 95" should give you about 5 1/2" clear on both sides. After awile you'll get used to parking it in your garage. LOL

Thanks. That sounds doable.

No way will I be backing in though. Backing out is tough enough! B)

I have a 3 car garage. one single door and one double door. Keep my

corvette in the single. Have the F150 and GX in the double section.

I sorta angle both in slightly (one to the left and the other to the right).

Think mine is larger than a standard 3 car, because have lots of

room to get out. That slight angling sure helps and its a straight

shot in too

I have a 3 car garage. 3 separate doors. The garage is 36' wide by 26' deep. The garage doors are 9' wide by 7'6" high. I park the GX in the left door, the Grand Cherokee in the middle and the right door has my motorcycle, JD tractor, generator, etc. Plenty of room even with the doors wide open on both vehicles. After living most of my life with a 1 car garage, I promised myself my next custom built home would have a 3 car garage. But it sounds like you will not have a problem, plus the GX with the navigation system has a back up camera which comes in handy.

470HI-

I forgot to ask - Is your GX a 2006 (or a 2005, which I assume is almost exactly the same)? Want to compare apples to apples.

Thanks.

My GX is the first genteration '03. Measurement wise, it should be the same as your '06.

470HI-

I forgot to ask - Is your GX a 2006 (or a 2005, which I assume is almost exactly the same)? Want to compare apples to apples.

Thanks.

My GX is the first genteration '03. Measurement wise, it should be the same as your '06.

Mine is '04...s/b same as your '06. My Explorer should be same size as yours too.

They haven't changed the body shape at all, including the mirrors, in all these generations? That is surprising.

Most of the other SUVs are totally different sizes than they used to be.

The Lexus GX470 was a brand new vehicle for Lexus for the 03 model year. So it is still considered a 1st generation vehicle. There are no major changes planned until the 09 model year. So it will look the same for 3 more years.

Width was no problem for me with a 3 car garage but height was very close. When I bought the GX I was not even thinking about it till I got it home. It cleared the metal beams on the door by less than one inch, Better remember to never have it in the high position when I pull in