2002 Es300 Engine Swap

Jin

I have now 200k on my es and its about time for a new engine and tranny, Has anyone had good experince with other toyota engine swap for the 02 es?

Edited by Jin

what year is your ES?

that was my first question to Josh.

But, he did type it once in the title and once in the thread so I would have to say he has got a 2002. My calculations put that at 50,000 miles per year. Must be a traveling salesman or something.

steviej

what year is your ES?

that was my first question to Josh.

But, he did type it once in the title and once in the thread so I would have to say he has got a 2002. My calculations put that at 50,000 miles per year. Must be a traveling salesman or something.

steviej

200K is middle aged prividing youve done your maintenance. keep driving it till it craps. PM blake918 for a question of how far will it go. 270K in his case, and still going strong.

Jin- I'm curious to know what type of mechanical work you've had to perform on your 02. Are valve cover gaskets still an issue on the 02-05 like they were on the previous versions? Thanks.

Seriously tho. Do a compression, and vacuum test & see what shape the rings, valvetrain & intake gaskets/hoses are in.

You don't need to swap, or rebuild an engine until the rings are allowing major blow-by.

The multi-layer steel head gaskets, simply will not blow. The combustion chambers, valves & intake shouldn't fil with massive amounts of carbon, due to the lack of an EGR system.

Until the rings are shot, drive the thing into the ground. Toyota rings are very good quality for OEM parts 2, so expect it to take a good long while more. If you wanna be anal, install an oil presure gauge & drive around with it so you get the feel of what kind of pressure the thing puts out, the same for water prussure.

The transmission is easy. Drop the pan. If there are metal parts, you're eating the gears. If there is a carbon/black looking dust everywhere, you're wearing the clutches at a fast rate. Then you can test the transmission fluid.

I'm betting you still have over 180psi of compression on every cylinder when the engine is warmed up.

Agreed unless you've done NO maintenance you're nowhere near the life of the engine and tranny on that car. That may be the case with a Ford or something like that, but these components are built to last.

Seriously. If you change the oil on any descent schedule, the all the bearings & rings are gonna be fine. About everything is will just laugh as mileage roll sup.

Edited by Toysrme

Agreed unless you've done NO maintenance you're nowhere near the life of the engine and tranny on that car. That may be the case with a Ford or something like that, but these components are built to last.

ouch steve :( :D

LOL, not quite what I'd meant. ;)

What I meant to say was he's operating on an antiquated idea that after a certain amount of life engines and transmissions need to be rebuilt or replaced which comes from driving older domestic cars for a long period of time.

I think basically with any car nowadays as long as the maintenance has been preformed and compression is still good this is not neccisary.

That may be the case with a Ford or something like that, but these components are built to last.

Here's what a Ford F-150 truck engineer had to say about Ford Truck durability standards in 1997 and earlier years:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...v31/ai_17489004

"By far, the '97 F-150 is the most thoroughly researched product Ford Motor Co. has ever brought to market," says Thomas D. Baughman, chief program engineer on the F-Series. "Where we used to test our fullsize pick-ups to seven-year levels, the new F-150 was tested to reach 10 years of dependable service."

"We raised our durability test standards half-again as much. Our old standard was 100,000 miles of equivalent customer durability. The standard for the '97 F-150 was a whopping 150,000 miles."

That may be the case with a Ford or something like that, but these components are built to last.

Here's what a Ford F-150 truck engineer had to say about Ford Truck durability standards in 1997 and earlier years:

"By far, the '97 F-150 is the most thoroughly researched product Ford Motor Co. has ever brought to market," says Thomas D. Baughman, chief program engineer on the F-Series. "Where we used to test our fullsize pick-ups to seven-year levels, the new F-150 was tested to reach 10 years of dependable service."

"We raised our durability test standards half-again as much. Our old standard was 100,000 miles of equivalent customer durability. The standard for the '97 F-150 was a whopping 150,000 miles."

Monarch, I am in the mood to call you out, Confess, What is your affiliation with toyota? Tell us your backround now or you probably will never be taken seriousy ever again, Get real or your future posts will be taken as air in my and many others eyes. I think your bunk. My opinion, No offense given, But you have to come clean once and for all. It's about time that someone stood up and called Monarch's hand.

Who really cares anyway?????????????????????????????/

Monarch, I am in the mood to call you out, Confess, What is your affiliation with toyota? Tell us your backround now or you probably will never be taken seriousy ever again, Get real or your future posts will be taken as air in my and many others eyes. I think your bunk. My opinion, No offense given, But you have to come clean once and for all. It's about time that someone stood up and called Monarch's hand.

Who really cares anyway?????????????????????????????/

I really dont, because in all honesty he has disrespected me too many times on this and other forums. I say ban him and be done. thast all im going to say dcfish, ill pm you with the rest as i dont want to sink to his level and perform a personal attack openly on the forums.

*HINT* your life will be alot happier if you put him on your ignore list!

Edited by ArmyofOne

Monarch, I don't mean to pick on you all the time. I just think you're wrong all a lot, but this time, you just don't have any idea what you're talking about.

F150's are cheap as *BLEEP*. I know, I have a '99 F150 that's loaded to the gills. It is the cheapest crap in the family.

The only good thing about ford trucks is that they ARE cheap as *BLEEP*. Unlike the new pretty trucks that kick domestic truck's !Removed!, the domestics are so cheap, you can beat the hell out of them, then rebuild them for less than tne import trucks do.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...5703&q=top+gear

The 4.6L engine is crappy, the build quality is an f'ing joke. Oh the steering wobble he was showing? That's a good example, my truck's wheel has MUUUUCH more play than that. The brakes are total crap. The entire thing is an example of *BLEEP* poor, cheap !Removed! engineering to the 10th level.

"It's rubbish". He couldn't have said it any better.

Edited by Toysrme

Monarch,

I've cut you a LOT of slack around here after comitting several very bannable offenses. I'm going to have to ask you to stop posting in ways that incites these Toyota vs. the world flamewars. They happen all the time and you're almost always at the root of it. If you won't do that, I'm going to have to ban you. I can't have our members constantly having to put up with these tiresome posts and threads. Whether you're affiliated with Toyota or not, I get complaint after complaint after complaint after complaint and I just don't have time to deal with it. Please cooperate with me on this one.

ToysRMe, I think you probably misunderstood his position. He meant what he posted to show that in fact domestic cars may indeed require new powertrains after 200k miles. Monarch certainly would never post anything positive about a vehicle that was not a Toyota.

I'm not going to let another one of these threads get beaten into the ground.

Sorry Jin but the threads closed, you're welcome to re-post it.