I Think I Hurt My Starter

A few times in the past weeks, I'll be cranking my car and let go of the key too soon. So it'll be right when the engine turns over and it'll sputter and die since I let go early. Or it just acts like it hated that by. Now when I crank it, it'll go CLICK. and after a few times it'll start normal. I think it might be my battery because my terminals are nasty, but is that bad to let go of the key too soon when cranking????

Oh and how much is it to replace the starter in a 93 GS?

A few times in the past weeks, I'll be cranking my car and let go of the key too soon. So it'll be right when the engine turns over and it'll sputter and die since I let go early. Or it just acts like it hated that by. Now when I crank it, it'll go CLICK. and after a few times it'll start normal. I think it might be my battery because my terminals are nasty, but is that bad to let go of the key too soon when cranking????

Oh and how much is it to replace the starter in a 93 GS?

Start by cleaning the terminals and get a new battery, Your starter is probably just fine. Wait until the car starts then let go of the key [ good habit ] You'll find with clean connections and a new battery the car will start very quick so you won't have to hold on to the key for too long.

Coke is a good cleaner? Let's see, Coke is mostly water, with some sugar (quite a bit actually), some caramel flavouring, and phosphoric acid to keep the sugar in suspension. Which one of those four do you think cleans well?

Edited by SRK

Coke is a good cleaner? Let's see, Coke is mostly water, with some sugar (quite a bit actually), some caramel flavouring, and phophoric acid to keep the sugar in suspension. Which one of those four do you think cleans well?

Use baking soda, Make a liquid paste to clean the crud off then a med sand paper on the contact surfaces ;)

I think the fizz of the coke is what actually makes it such a good cleaner. On a side note about starters, what happens if you didnt know you engine was on already and you turn the key to the ignite stage again...thats happened to me a few times when we've changed drivers.

I replaced the battery since i cleaned it off and it was still giving me the click. The guy in the nissan shop where i work said my starters going bad, so i was right something messed up my starter somewhere in there. Autozone is pricing my starter at 127.99? is that too much or too little? and what do you think labor would be from lexus?

I replaced the battery since i cleaned it off and it was still giving me the click. The guy in the nissan shop where i work said my starters going bad, so i was right something messed up my starter somewhere in there. Autozone is pricing my starter at 127.99? is that too much or too little? and what do you think labor would be from lexus?

It's simple, Call your nearest dealer and get a quote. You don't want to change the starter again so get a OEM part. That is my opinion.