Had Questions About The Rx 330

chrisl0

We are considering two SUV's the Honda Pilot and the Lexus RX 330. The Pilot seems to have more room for passengers and cargo. What is your impression as a owner of a Lexus RX 330 as far as these two features are concerned? Does the RX 330 seat three people comfortably in the back? Also can you fit bulk items in the rear when the seats are turned down?

Edited by chrisl0

As with almost all cars, the middle passenger in the back seat will not be pleased on long trips. Leg room in the back and front are moderately generous. Cargo room is great without the seats folded, which is enough for 4 suitcases or so. When its folded down, you get alot and its enough unless you need to move a hell lot. Ive never been in a pilot, but im pretty darn sure driving impressions are going to be different. IT depends what you want. The rx330 is everything you want in an SUV with luxury except for off-roading. If you can spring for the money, get the lexus.

The pilot definetly has more room. Reliability should be excellent on the pilot. RX visability is poor on the rear quarter posts. The pilot is probably far better for a family. Maintenance cost will probably be cheaper on the Honda.

Edited by lenore

As with almost all cars, the middle passenger in the back seat will not be pleased on long trips. Leg room in the back and front are moderately generous. Cargo room is great without the seats folded, which is enough for 4 suitcases or so. When its folded down, you get alot and its enough unless you need to move a hell lot. Ive never been in a pilot, but im pretty darn sure driving impressions are going to be different. IT depends what you want. The rx330 is everything you want in an SUV with luxury except for off-roading. If you can spring for the money, get the lexus.

Well we are looking for something where we can go to the hardware store and buy things like ply wood and carry it without mounting it on the roof. We also need something that can hold 5 adults fairly comfortably. Another important thing is to make sure the SUV is high enough off the ground that at night we would get blinded by those huge SUV'S. We also want something that has more car like handling. For the past 12 years we have driven a Honda Accord and the handling is excellent with that car and we would like the same thing only with more room. The Pilot we like because it seems to have more room and it's like 10 k cheaper. That is important to us since we are buying it, not leasing it or getting a loan. We are worried that we will not like the pilot since it probably doesn't handle as well as a car. But after all these years of owning one car it would be nice to own a vehicle that can be fun to drive and carry what we need. We like our Accord and plan to keep it even once we get this one but it has a few quarks. It holds 5 but just barely, has a small trunk with a small opening, and when it carries allot of people and cargo the car looses it's zip (Only has a 4 cylinder engine). But for reliability I think both these vehicles are on par (They both get a best pick in their classes in Consumer Reports). But I really hope this car meets are needs since it is very luxurious and it has some great features like the laser cruse control. But the decision is still in the air since we do not plan on purchasing the vehicle that we choose until the beginning of 2007 when we move.

"But I really hope this car meets are needs since it is very luxurious and it has some great features like the laser cruse control. But the decision is still in the air since we do not plan on purchasing the vehicle that we choose until the beginning of 2007 when we move."

A lot can change when you buy the car. The rx will become the rx350 with more horsepower and i have no idea what honda has in store for their pilot, unless your planning to buy used. I dont get blinded by the lights of other SUVs so i think the car is high enough. I went with the performance package that gives it a little more edge on handling and its up to par on my standards. Three adults in the back may be pushing it as i said before, especially because the center console is sooo long but you can move it further up. The car also doesnt have the center mound on the floor, which im not sure if the pilot has it. Good luck with your decision, im hear good things about the pilot.

If you're comparing Honda Pilot with the RX330, you should include the Acura MDX since it's comparable to the RX300 and the Toyota Highlander since it's comparable to the Pilot. For what it's worth, the Hondas have a front strut with upper-lower A-Arm suspension in the rear which is a lot more rugged and truck like. The Toyotas have car-like strut suspensions all around. You can get the Toyota in a 4 cylinder version. The Hondas can tow more. The Pilot is almost $8,000 cheaper than the RX but about the same price as the Highlander. In a way, comparing the Lexus to the Honda doesn't make sense. You should compare the Lexus with the MDX or the Pilot with the Highlander. From your description, it sounds like you really need a minivan.

Edited by Ericok

"But I really hope this car meets are needs since it is very luxurious and it has some great features like the laser cruse control. But the decision is still in the air since we do not plan on purchasing the vehicle that we choose until the beginning of 2007 when we move."

A lot can change when you buy the car. The rx will become the rx350 with more horsepower and i have no idea what honda has in store for their pilot, unless your planning to buy used. I dont get blinded by the lights of other SUVs so i think the car is high enough. I went with the performance package that gives it a little more edge on handling and its up to par on my standards. Three adults in the back may be pushing it as i said before, especially because the center console is sooo long but you can move it further up. The car also doesnt have the center mound on the floor, which im not sure if the pilot has it. Good luck with your decision, im hear good things about the pilot.

Well like I said it needs to hold at least 3 people in fairly good comfort. I can hold 5 in my 94' Accord but it is tight. If it can hold that much in relative comfort than I will be happy with it. Also once in awhile we will be doing projects so we will need something that can carry things like ply wood. But like I said I want something that handles like a car, not a big bulky SUV. But we plan on buying it new and we plan on buying it in early 2007. Also I am not too worried about reliability since we read many reviews including Consumer Reports and many online reviews saying that this crossover is the best in it's class. If you got any links about the redesign of the RX 330 can you send me some info like to see it.

If you're comparing Honda Pilot with the RX330, you should include the Acura MDX since it's comparable to the RX300 and the Toyota Highlander since it's comparable to the Pilot. For what it's worth, the Hondas have a front strut with upper-lower A-Arm suspension in the rear which is a lot more rugged and truck like. The Toyotas have car-like strut suspensions all around. You can get the Toyota in a 4 cylinder version. The Hondas can tow more. The Pilot is almost $8,000 cheaper than the RX but about the same price as the Highlander. In a way, comparing the Lexus to the Honda doesn't make sense. You should compare the Lexus with the MDX or the Pilot with the Highlander. From your description, it sounds like you really need a minivan.

Well we don't want to get the MDX because the Pilot has more room. Also we wouldn't want to get a 4 cylinder again especially in a SUV. Right now our decision is on the RX 330 or Pilot.

perhaps a mercedes R-class :D

Well we don't know much about that model, plus I don't really want to break 50k. It might be under 50k but I plan on adding options and car makers like them like to add a ton of money on for them.

Edited by chrisl0

lol, i was kidding about the R class. If you get the performance package with the Rx330, it will handle at its best becuase it comes with 18 inch wheels and i think a tighter suspension. Also, i dont beleive the MDX comes with a 4 cylinder, that just seems crazy. Im sure you'll be happy with the lexus and im pretty sure the body style will not change except maybe a face lift.

The Pilot will definitely have more room than the RX330 ... 3 in the back of the RX is a little tight and the middle seat is more uncomfortable than others with a more traditional rear bench seat. The slope of the back of the RX takes away a little of the height capability for cargo. Sounds like you REALLY want the Lexus, but to me for your needs it sounds like the Pilot might work better. I'd recommend the Lexus wholeheartedly overall in just a general sense though. The Pilots are well liked and have been reliable ... some friends have one and they're pleased. It would probably feel like it sits up a little higher than an RX as well.

Sorry for the ramble.

The Lexus is a great vehicle, however you will not be carrying any plywood inside it from the hardware store.

It has luxury, handling and better looks than the Pilot. I sat in both the pilot and the lexus rx at our recent car show, i own the lexus and i can tell u lexus seats are more comfortable. Do you carry five people all the time? Also by the time you purchase this vehicle the redesigned highlander should be out.

The Lexus is a great vehicle, however you will not be carrying any plywood inside it from the hardware store.

It has luxury, handling and better looks than the Pilot. I sat in both the pilot and the lexus rx at our recent car show, i own the lexus and i can tell u lexus seats are more comfortable. Do you carry five people all the time? Also by the time you purchase this vehicle the redesigned highlander should be out.

Well we don't usually carry 5 people or ply wood. It's just that we are moving out of state and we would like to bring friends/family up. Also we don't usually carry plywood, it's just that when we have to do house related stuff we need the room then. What we are considering is getting the RX 330 and buying a used Pilot since we planned on getting two cars. We originally planned on getting a new Santa Fe but for the same price we could get a year old Honda Pilot with leather and a nav system.

The vehicles really are very different, and I think a test drive will tell you which one you want. The RX is car based and has a more carlike ride and handling. The Pilot is truck based and is more rugged. Which ever one you like is a matter of personal preference.

Another thing to take into consideration is long term service cost. Lexus is a premium brand and the dealers work this to the max when pricing service. I bet Acura is the same. The Honda should be more reasonable more like Toyota.

Another thing to take into consideration is long term service cost. Lexus is a premium brand and the dealers work this to the max when pricing service. I bet Acura is the same. The Honda should be more reasonable more like Toyota.

But you don't have to use the dealer. The RX can be serviced at Toyota, at an independent mechanic, or at a gas station.