Alternator Died While Parked For A Long Time

rlin78

Merry Christmas Everyone :cheers: ,

My alternator died while parked at the airport for about 25 days. At first the car started up, but the battery light was on, I figured it was because the battery power was low because I left it for a long time. I then drove it for about 20 mins before things started to go wrong. I started to lose the display then cluster lights. I pulled over just in time before the engine cut out. I knew it was serious then. I finally got home with the help of a friend by swapping out battery with another car.

We know it is most likely the alternator because when we disconnected the battery, the car died immediately. I haven't had time to check to see if any cable from the alternator is loosen, I hope someone can tell me why the alternator would go bad by leaving it so long. I've done it in the pass for other cars without any problems. Thanks in advance.

You still need to check the output of the alternator to make sure that your battery is not the culprit. A bad battery will not hold or take a charge. See if you have in the 13-14 volt range with the car started, if you do your alternator is ok. have the old battery charged and see if will hold a charge and then load test it. I would suspect that leaving your car for almost a month if the battery is weak, the cold and small drain to run the electronics could kill it.

Jeff

You still need to check the output of the alternator to make sure that your battery is not the culprit. A bad battery will not hold or take a charge. See if you have in the 13-14 volt range with the car started, if you do your alternator is ok. have the old battery charged and see if will hold a charge and then load test it. I would suspect that leaving your car for almost a month if the battery is weak, the cold and small drain to run the electronics could kill it.

Jeff

My bet is on the battery, Get a new one. ;)

It's not the battery, I've used tried two batteries, both didn't charge in my car but will in my other car. As a mention, I got home from a 2 hour trip using another car to charge the batteries, that's how I got home. Both batteries work in the other car but not in the RX300. One of the batteries were brand new.

It's not the battery, I've used tried two batteries, both didn't charge in my car but will in my other car. As a mention, I got home from a 2 hour trip using another car to charge the batteries, that's how I got home. Both batteries work in the other car but not in the RX300. One of the batteries were brand new.

I think I'll get my eyes checked :blink: Well if you put in another good battery and got home what makes you think it is anything else? I don't think a alternator will just take a sh$t sitting there. I would install a brand new battery [ you need one anyway ] Reset the ECU and go for a spin.

Edited by dcfish

I am going to try your idea of resetting the ECU. But I think you misunderstood, I got home by switching the battery with the other car every 50 minutes. May be news for some people, but a car can go without an alternator for about 1 hour or more, I didn't want to risk it, so I only went for 50 minutes. During the time when a car is on battery only, all the power is supplied by the battery, not the alternator.

I suspect a bad alternator too. Alternator makers warn that alternator life will be shortened if the car owner forces it to charge a dead or nead dead battery.

The elaborate electronics in a Lexus tend to drain good batteries after 2-4 weeks. Therefore I always disconnect the battery negative cable if I plan to park the car more than 2 weeks.

I am going to try your idea of resetting the ECU. But I think you misunderstood, I got home by switching the battery with the other car every 50 minutes. May be news for some people, but a car can go without an alternator for about 1 hour or more, I didn't want to risk it, so I only went for 50 minutes. During the time when a car is on battery only, all the power is supplied by the battery, not the alternator.

I misunderstood you, Yeah, Then it sounds like the alternator [ they aren't cheap ] I hope all is well soon for you. Merry Christmas, Happier Holidays

Trouble shoot the charging system first with a voltmeter, Engine on 13.4-14.2 volts alternator is working. You have to do this first.

Jeff

Edited by jgr7

I agree turn engine on, the battery voltage should read 13.5 ro 14.5 volts while engine is running. If not the alternator is probably toast. With the engine off the battery should read 12. to 12.5 volts. The battery can short the voltage down while the engine is running. Seems one of your batteries is bad and may have taken out the alternator too. Good luck

It seems quite a few people missed some of what you read. In older cars, disconnecting the battery from the system is a good check to ensure that the alternator is working. I have an old Corvette and I can pull the battery out, with the engine running, and it will continue to run as long as the alternator is good. As suggested by others, put a multi-meter on the battery while the engine is running. I would suggest that your alternator, if it is indeed working, should be operating somewhere in the 14 volt range. What I know about electrics can be written on the head of a pin but it sure sounds like your alternator is fried. The why and how is interesting. Let us know if you find out. I would venture a guess that your alternator died and you drove to the airport on the battery alone. Of course you would have had a warning light for that too.

Where do you intend to get a new alternator? At Lexus? You might want to bring your mortgage papers along. :) If you intend to R&R this alternator yourself, you might do an online search for genuine Lexus parts at a discount.

Gary

Thank you people for your replies. I am pretty sure it is the alternator at this time. You can get a Lexus alternator at Park Place Lexus for $280, which is not too bad. I decided to go with partsamerica.com because they have a reman for $120, there's a 10% discount if you use the code "rebate". Total came to around $110, not too bad for a lifetime warranty on a alternator. I know what you guys might say, but it wasn't too hard to remove the alternator, I am a cheap !Removed!.

Thank you people for your replies. I am pretty sure it is the alternator at this time. You can get a Lexus alternator at Park Place Lexus for $280, which is not too bad. I decided to go with partsamerica.com because they have a reman for $120, there's a 10% discount if you use the code "rebate". Total came to around $110, not too bad for a lifetime warranty on a alternator. I know what you guys might say, but it wasn't too hard to remove the alternator, I am a cheap !Removed!.

Being cheap doesn't make you bad it shows your wisdom ;) Lifetime on the reman alt. sounds inviting, You don't always have to go OEM brand new. I'm glad you fixed the problem. :cheers:

Yes, I tested the battery in another car. First, the battery was only 2 months old. Then I tested a good battery from another car while driving home, both times the red battery light was on showing the battery wasn't being charged. I've also tested the continuity of the alternator to the battery terminals, it was good. So it only leaves the alternator at fault.

Grumpa, your post made me remember that he had mentioned in his first post that the car died immediately when he removed the battery. I hope he didn't fry any thing when he did this. There a lot of electronics in these cars.

Merry Christmas

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I replaced my alternator and the problem went away. It was easier that I thought it was going to be. Probably saved couple hundred dollars by doing it myself. Finally cost of the repair, $110 if you don't count having to have a guy drive out there to pick us up. It was a pain, but not as bad as you think.