Polisher

I understand this is a strange question but I love to wash and detail my cars but it has become a big job since I got M S and am in a wheelchair and really only have one good arm. My question is do you think any buffing machine that anyone has used could be done with one arm? Doing the waxing with one arm and trying to get leverage from a seated position is tough so I hear how well these buffing machines work for everyone ,and just thought I would love to get one if I could handle it. Any thoughts?:whistles:

Edited by ZINFANDEL22

I have used it with one arm, and probably like anything else its just a situation where you have to perfect the right technique to make it work.

Wow, you're a devoted detailer!

LOL SWO3ES,I knew I could count on you. Yes I enjoy washing and waxing my cars but it gets pretty tyring with one arm so I was just hoping there was a buffer I could use that would help in the task. thanks for your input. :cheers:

I greatly admire your dedication to detailing and will think of you whenever I have the audacity to complain about a backache when I detail my cars.

I don’t know if this is a possibility as it requires a pneumatic air supply, but Groits Garage usually stocks a Porter-Cable Palm Switch random orbital polisher if circumstances permit it would be an ideal solution for one-handed operation

Jon

I greatly admire your dedication to detailing and will think of you whenever I have the audacity to complain about a backache when I detail my cars.

I don’t know if this is a possibility as it requires a pneumatic air supply, but Groits Garage usually stocks a Porter-Cable Palm Switch random orbital polisher if circumstances permit it would be an ideal solution for one-handed operation

Jon

Thankyou for that info I get griots magazine so I will check it out. I had'nt thought about the on off button as it would be tough if I couldnt reach it with my hand that is holding the buffer. Thanks very much for your input and kind words. There are no guarentees in life so push foreward and happy holidays,theres always someone worse off then you! John

Edited by ZINFANDEL22

I love my PC 7424. I use it for sanding woodwork & polishing the car all the time. I almost always use it one handed like a palm sander. Depending on how much you're doing, it can get pretty heavy after awhile as they are really meant for 2 hand use.

I use mine once every 2-3 months to DACP, VM, 2x CM (Or 2x of PS21 by hand.) They're good when you're looking to do a lot of work & they're really good if you buy a half dozen quality microfiber bonnets to buff with.

If you've got a lot to do, that's when they really save time - exponentially if you have a hard time getting some types of wax/glaze/polish off. Mine weighs exactly 5lbs 5oz including the cord. I have the 6" couterweight & hook & loop on it for 6" pads & had a light foam pad on it. It get's pretty heavy after an hour or two.

Grab an OXO car brush. You'll be able to wash it in 1/4 the time. Takes me about 5 min to wash & dry the Lexus. (They make a good small wheel brush too.)

It might be a better fit to grab a random orpital palm sander that is both varriable speed & hook & loop (velcro) that takes 5", or 6" pads. best I can say is go to lowes, or someplace & hold a few, then image holding it for a good half hour-hour.

I really wouldn't use a brush to wash the car, I know the OXO and Griots brushes are soft, but not soft enough for me...

Personally I dont use any brushes I use a mit. I am leaning towards the 7424 I think I could handle this since you dont have to move a orbit polisher around as much as a spinning polisher. I am glad to hear some of your input as it helps alot. thanks

PS, STEVE AND JON ,I need yours input on a question in the detailed section "what to do first" THANKS !

I really wouldn't use a brush to wash the car, I know the OXO and Griots brushes are soft, but not soft enough for me...

Personally I dont use any brushes I use a mit. I am leaning towards the 7424 I think I could handle this since you dont have to move a orbit polisher around as much as a spinning polisher. I am glad to hear some of your input as it helps alot. thanks

PS, STEVE AND JON ,I need yours input on a question in the detailed section "what to do first" THANKS !

I have not washed any car since 1994. Only use Dri-wash. Plus I dislike PC machines. Like the professional, I use what they use. Not saying PC is bad, but I like what they do.

I know many professionals that use PCs.

Whats up with pc 7424 and 7336 and the counter weight? Do you guys use or prefer the counter weight cuz why buy the 7424 and have to pay more for the 6"back pad and all to be able to use the weight? Why not just buy the 7336 instead that will allow you to use the counter weight? just wondering???

Well they both have a counterweight, the 7424 just has a beefier one thats optional on the 7336.

The upgraded counterweight isn't that big a deal, it makes the machine smoother when using wider diameter pads. I think the PC works best with 4-5inch pads anyways.

Well they both have a counterweight, the 7424 just has a beefier one thats optional on the 7336.

The upgraded counterweight isn't that big a deal, it makes the machine smoother when using wider diameter pads. I think the PC works best with 4-5inch pads anyways.

Thanks Steve that helps alot :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Specification:

Cyclo Rotary Polisher

Model; Cyclo #5

Power: 5Amp, 110-120 Volts AC, 50-60 Hz

Motor: 1/3rd HP, Single phase

Non-Load speed: 1,800 RPM per head, (3,600 RPM combined)

Weight: 6.5 lbs. (2.9 Kg)

Specification:

Porter-Cable™ Random Orbital Buffer, Model number 7336SP or 7424

Electronic variable speed: 2,500 – 6,000 oscillations per minute (OPM)

Spiral bevel gears, 100% ball and roller bearing construction

Power: 110-120 Volts AC, 50-60 Hz

Motor: 3.7 amps, single phase, 410 Watts

Non-Load speed: 2,500-6,000 OPM

Spindle Thread: 5/16" – 24

5/32" Eccentric offset (orbit radius)

Gear Drive: Spiral bevel

Size: 111/2" long, 4'Width, 4.5"Height

Weight 6 lbs