Help...just Got Car Painted

Heyy i just got my 96Es300 painted factory black on grey.came out REAL nice the guy also color wetsanded it for me. i got prime,sealer,base,more base,3 clears. car came out nicely, but my question is how long do i have to wait till i can get it de-tailed? or what should i do? its been a week since paint.

Heyy i just got my 96Es300 painted factory black on grey.came out REAL nice the guy also color wetsanded it for me. i got prime,sealer,base,more base,3 clears. car came out nicely, but my question is how long do i have to wait till i can get it de-tailed? or what should i do? its been a week since paint.

Ask the shop that painted it, I have heard 30 days and I have heard 90 days, SW03ES should be chiming in on this one, He's our resident detailaholic and Damn good one at that. :cheers: Sounds like a real nice paint job, Why did you get it painted?

Ask the shop that painted it, I have heard 30 days and I have heard 90 days, SW03ES should be chiming in on this one, He's our resident detailaholic and Damn good one at that.:cheers: Sounds like a real nice paint job, Why did you get it painted?

Yes please do tell? You are driving my car and colors. I am thinking about painting mine or at least the hood and two doors,but would like to know what a paint job runs. As to your detailing question SWO3ES will be telling you but i beleive its 30 days . good idea to leave it out in the sun a bit also to help it cure.

Newly re- painted vehicle-

1. Oil-based paint, lacquer or enamel and low solids paint systems are formulated with solvents (30-80% dependant upon manufacturer) once applied paint needs to dry and the solvents need to (out-gas) evaporate for sixty to ninety days (60-90) to enable the paint off gassing and aerobic curing, if the paint is covered with a conventional wax or sealant it will arrest the outgas/cure process.

2. Water-based high solid/low solvent urethane paints used by PPG Industries, DuPont Chemicals, and BASF Aktiengesellschaft and most other paint manufacturers are not as chemically resistant as the older paint systems as they are porous, but do not require time for the outgas/ aerobic cure process, as they are either catalyzed (i.e. a chemical process that cures paint) or oven-dried, but I would suggest waiting for approximately ten to fifteen days before any product application, which should be more than sufficient time to enable paint off gassing and aerobic curing.

Professional painters add chemicals; accelerants and compounds to their paint mix prior to painting to improve flexibility, reduce paint imperfections, increase hardness, improve gloss and reduce curing times.

3. Applied after polishing, a glaze is the make-up that hides flaws and gives paint the sheen it had in the showroom. The common ingredients in a’ fresh paint safe’ glaze are: water, glycerine (to produce a high shine) amino-functional mineral oils, solvent, and mild abrasive Kaolin (China clay) to burnish the surface and produce a gloss, they exclude silicone and wax, some polymers are also formulated as ‘fresh paint safe’

4. The application of a specific ‘fresh paint safe (or polymer)’ type product, i.e. 3M™ Perfect-It III™ Show Car Finishing Glaze, Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze, Meguiar’s #5 New Car Glaze, or Zanio Z Polishes (exclude the use of either Z1 or ZFX™) allow an ‘initial outgas period of 7 days before application.

These products are completely safe for any fresh paint system as they allow the solvents in an oil-based paint outgas / aerobic cure process and provide some protection for any type of paint surface. After thirty days (30) the paint surface can be protected with a regular polymer sealant and/or Carnauba wax.

(See also Notes below)

5. Abrasive polish should be avoided until the paint has cured (an abrasive polish will not necessarily harm the soft new paint but unless it’s absolutely necessary I would avoid it) Vehicle washing is encouraged but avoid car wash concentrates that contain any harsh detergents, alkali, acids or wax (recommended products- Zaino Z-7™ Show Car Wash, Groit’s Car Wash) also avoid car washes that uses a high-pressure spray or wax or harsh detergents.

Notes:

1. A paint film surface is a delicate thin coating easily dulled and very easily scratched, so choose carefully the advice you listen to and most importantly what advice you act upon.

2. The body-shop / paint manufactures know their products; seek their advice so as not to void any warranty. Paint manufacturer have specific technical guidelines on how to use their products to affect a warranted spot/panel/ repairs or a full repaint. This preserves both the paint manufactures and factory warranty.

{each one / teach one][then student /becomes teacher}

JonM

• 4 weeks later...

You can put glazes on but thats all , like meguiars -03,05,07,81,and no wax or sealant. well maybe some but play it save with these.

• 1 month later...