Cd Changer Error

After searching the numerous posts on this, I still can't quite pinpoint my problem. On my way home from work all of a sudden my cd changer stopped working in the middle of a song, and displayed ERR. I am confident that the changer is getting power because it powers up and ejects/and takes in the magozine. And I am guessing that the wires are still good because I left the door open, and it said OPEN. While listening very closely to the changer unit itself I can hear 6 clicking sounds spaced evenly-I'm guessing it's searching through the six discs. I tried cleaning my CD's and unplugging and replugging the wires on the changer, and no luck. Lastly, while I was at a local toyota dealer today(buying new spark plugs-I was in for a rude awakening when the gentleman behind the counter told me they were $10.50 a piece...WOW...but I paid up anyways), I saw there was some kind of cd player cleaning service for like $7 or $8; would this be beneficial for me? All radio and tape functions are functioning properly just not the cd changer.

There's the possibility that some dirt is blocking the laser lens from reading the information on the CD. I would try a CD Lens Cleaner to see if it clears up this problem.

The spark plugs have platinum tipped electrodes and that's why they cost so much. You probably could have saved a few bucks by getting the exact same plugs from an automotive supply store. ;)

The price on the Sparkplugs is rediculous. Probably could have gotten them for less than half at Toyota. Thats a good hint for next time, but EVERYTHING at Toyota ;)

As for the changer, its entirely possible that the thing is just fried. I had similar symptoms on my Explorer on two seperate occasions, and the changer had to be replaced each time. Think of it this way, now you can go buy yourself a better changer to replace it!

I don't think "cleaner CDs" will work in the coin slot or cartridge type CD players. The little brushes that extend off the cleaning side make them way to thick to be pulled into the drive bay of the CD player.

Pay the $8 and have the dealer do it....that way they are responsible.

As for the spark plug price....welcome to the wonderful world of "corporate screw 'em" :chairshot:

my plugs are irridium and are over $12 each from my dealer.

That will be a DIY. Screw them back on the labor charge!!!!

steveij

Cool, glad you got it working. I use those cleaners on the changers all the time with good results. I usually clean the changer once a month, I use it all the time too. Radio stations around here suck.

$10.50 from Toyota, yikes!

Stevie, it' the Maxell CD-340 with Thunderon Brush System. I got it at Walgreens, but I'm sure WalMart has it for less than the $9 I paid for it ;) . Good luck!