Possible Rx300 Tranny Problems

thomaskuhn

My wife REALLY wanted an RX300. So last week, I snuck out and bought her a preowned '01 RX300 AWD (36k miles) as a suprise Christmas gift. WOW, I wish I know about this site earlier and read all of the tranny problems!!! Well I noticed that as I am breaking to a stop I hear a whine from either the front or back, it is hard to tell. The sound only occurs when slowing from 5mph to 0. Sound starts at a high pitch and lowers as the car stops. It is not that loud, but I could see how it could get annoying. Is this the first sign of the transmission going? I bought it from Carmax, and they have a 30 day warranty on it, plus I guess there is a 7 year warranty on the powertrain. Should I take it in or is this sound normal??

Thanks,

Tom

After what we've been through with my wife's 2000 RX300 AWD, if your vehicle is all-wheel drive I would return it for a full refund as well. If it is two-wheel drive, transmission failure seems to be less of a problem.

Don't listen to these guys, they work for Acura. No, actually I suspect these do-it-yourselfers serviced their own transmissions and mixed the wrong type fluid in with the Toyota synthetic typeIV fluid, or maybe they just bought lemons. About 20% of the owners on this forum have reported transmission problems, and is probably the reason why they originally joined up. After reading their numerous posts on this issue, I am 100% convinced that they did not have their transmissions serviced properly, adequately, or at all.

I have two RX300s with over 90k and the transmissions are in excellent condition. I do have them totally flushed every 15k to ensure that all the fluid stays clean. I also bought my RXs used with over 50k on both. Take your car to a qualified mechanic and have them check it out if you are concerned. If you do have the transmission flushed, make sure the mechanic uses a flush machine dedicated for using synthetic transmission fluid that meets Toyota's specs..

All i have to say is that, that whining noise you are hearing will last about another month of normal driving, then suddenly your car won't move anymore.

but don't listen to me, i only experienced that sound 2 times with 2 diff AWD rx300's.

Get it checked out to see if it can be fixed before something else goes wrong. If they say they need to put in a new tranny, if the price is below $4400 take it, if not, get rid of the car.

I've heard that same noise from both of my RX300s ever since I bought them. That's just the way they sound, probably because they are AWDs. I was aware of the noise at first, but now I don't even notice it.

Just take note that it is the same few people complaining of transmission failures. They make it appear to be many more because they immediately post their complaints over and over every time the word transmission appears on this forum.

Don't listen to these guys, they work for Acura. No, actually I suspect these do-it-yourselfers serviced their own transmissions and mixed the wrong type fluid in with the Toyota synthetic typeIV fluid, or maybe they just bought lemons. About 20% of the owners on this forum have reported transmission problems, and is probably the reason why they originally joined up. After reading their numerous posts on this issue, I am 100% convinced that they did not have their transmissions serviced properly, adequately, or at all.

I have two RX300s with over 90k and the transmissions are in excellent condition. I do have them totally flushed every 15k to ensure that all the fluid stays clean. I also bought my RXs used with over 50k on both. Take your car to a qualified mechanic and have them check it out if you are concerned. If you do have the transmission flushed, make sure the mechanic uses a flush machine dedicated for using synthetic transmission fluid that meets Toyota's specs..

Bluestu, could you describe your flushing procedure? I have been draining & refilling removing both drain plugs and replacing about 5 qts. Do you think this is good enough?

The AWD rx300's do make a "slight whining" noise from 1st - 2nd gear while ACCELERATING, but not decelerating.

The noise you hear while "slowing down" is NOT normal. It's almost like he took the memories right out of my head. That's EXACTLY the same symptoms i heard when both of my rx300 tranny's went out. It did make the noise even more while accelerating, but he may have missed that?

All i am trying to do is help out. I have experienced the failure and i know more about the symptoms than someone who (i don't care if they own 50 good working Rx300's) would!

This topic was started asking about the symptoms, not if you think the rx300's are good or not. We have already passed the clause that Rx300 AWD transmissions are more prone to failure than other AWD's.

The shop "Mostly Toyotas and Lexus", where I take my cars described the procedure to me and said that a lot of fluid is trapped in the torque converter and cannot be drained out. They first run a flushing solution through the entire transaxle which completely removes all the old fluid as well as any particles that are trapped in the torque converter and wire mesh filter. They then refill with synthetic fluid and a special additive that keeps the fluid oxygenated against high fluid temperatures. Toyota and Lexus also use this additive with their drain and fill service which is supposed to help revitalize the dirty fluid that doesn't get drained out. The mechanic told me that the entire transaxle holds 16qts. of fluid, although when I looked it up on the computer, it only showed the transmission as holding 9.5qts.. My ticket always lists 16qts. of fluid and 1qt. of additive. They charge $130.00 for the service.

The AWD rx300's do make a "slight whining" noise from 1st - 2nd gear while ACCELERATING, but not decelerating.

The noise you hear while "slowing down" is NOT normal. It's almost like he took the memories right out of my head. That's EXACTLY the same symptoms i heard when both of my rx300 tranny's went out.  It did make the noise even more while accelerating, but he may have missed that?

All i am trying to do is help out. I have experienced the failure and i know more about the symptoms than someone who (i don't care if they own 50 good working Rx300's) would!

This topic was started asking about the symptoms, not if you think the rx300's are good or not. We have already passed the clause that Rx300 AWD transmissions are more prone to failure than other AWD's.

We didn't pass any clause that the RX300s are more prone to failure than other AWDs. Who is "We", as if we don't know. All I've heard for years is that AWDS and 4WDs are more susceptible to transmission problems for obvious reasons. Now that I've learned more about them and understand how they work, I'm taking extra care in having them serviced. I've observed reported failures from other manufacturers of AWDs. I owned an Isuzu Rodeo, and the transmission failed around 80k because I didn't take proper care of it.

I snuck out and bought her a preowned '01 RX300 AWD (36k miles)

No one on this forum who changed the fluid before it got serious black and smelled burnt has experienced transmission failure. Since your RX has only 36,000 miles, I would inspect the fluid and not be worried if it is only moderately darkened, but pitch black and not burnt smelling. Then just start partially changing the fluid regularly by draining and refilling the 5 quarts as artbuc described using genuine Toyota Type T-IV fluid every 10-15,000 miles (10K if you are often stuck in bumper to bumper traffic jams in midsummer heat).

Beware of independent shops and even some Toyota / Lexus dealers who push various "conditioners" and "solvents" of dubious value and potential harm because sometimes the same companies (e.g. the BG company) that sell or loan them the flushing equipment also sell them the conditioners and cleaners as a condition of loaning the equipment or selling it at near cost. Also beware of independent shops and even some Toyota / Lexus dealers who cut their costs to increase profits by substituting aftermarket transmission fluids (such as Valvoline Universal fluid) in place of genuine Toyota Type T-IV fluid.

The reasons I suggest partial fluid changes every 10-15K miles instead of total fluid replacement at less frequent intervals is because the former strategy is not only less expensive, it forces you to inspect and monitor the condition of the fluid on a regular basis so you're more likely to catch any potential incident of burned fluid before it can cause any serious damage to the transmission.

The noise you hear while "slowing down" is NOT normal. It's almost like he took the memories right out of my head. That's EXACTLY the same symptoms i heard when both of my rx300 tranny's went out.  It did make the noise even more while accelerating, but he may have missed that?

We didn't pass any clause that the RX300s are more prone to failure than other AWDs. Who is "We", as if we don't know. All I've heard for years is that AWDS and 4WDs are more susceptible to transmission problems for obvious reasons. Now that I've learned more about them and understand how they work, I'm taking extra care in having them serviced. I've observed reported failures from other manufacturers of AWDs. I owned an Isuzu Rodeo, and the transmission failed around 80k because I didn't take proper care of it.

I was using the word "clause" to infer that we (meaning Rx300 owners) have concluded that AWD rx300's have been known for faulty transmissions, more than many luxury $40,000 cars have...

The problem addressed in the first post has nothing to do with this hackneyed argument about the fact that AWD rx300 transmissions have been known to break too early. This topic was created to ask if that whining sound is a symptom of the failure, and... IT IS.

Ok, fine...believe what you want, i don't care. I'm not saying that ALL AWD rx300 transmissions are dead, all i am saying is that the symptoms are symptoms.

All i know is that i experienced the failure and all it's symptoms. This topic was started asking about the symptoms of the failure, and they match up with that i heard perfectly!

I really don't know why you are arguing with me; i'm not trying to make any enemies here. The only conclusions i have made here are that the symptoms are the same. THEY ARE!!!! Those are not speculations or "opinions" they're facts.

They're called observations.... facts?? Ring a bell??

Has anyone thought that this may just be a normal noise as the transmission downshifts?

Since only the poster has heard the noise then I don't think any of us can say if the noise is abnormal.

I have never heard an auto tranny that did not have some amount of whine to it (especially when downshifting). Maybe he's just more sensitive to noises on a vehicle that's new to him.

Just another opinion.

May or may not be worth anything.

Tom

No argument, just a forum discussion concerning a controversial topic. I understand what you're saying regarding symptoms of a failing transmission, but I don't believe that a transmission with that low mileage would be failing unless someone mixed regular transmission fluid with synthetic, which is entirely possible. I'll speculate that mixing different fluids could possibly cause a transmission to burn up. One of the Toyota mechanics informed me that mixing regular transmission fluid with synthetic causes the fluid to gel. I wonder what happens if you mix two different types of synthetics? He also informed me that regular fluid breaks down much faster under the higher temps. produced by that type of transmission. I guess that is why the dipstick is marked typeIV fluid only. I don't beleive that the Toyota brand is the only synthetic that meets the specs., but you know they're going to push their own brand first.

I am with Lex kid, the noise is not normal and is indicative of a failure to come. As for servicing, I repeat again, I was not only draining and refilling at 30k intervals but was dropping the pan and cleaning the magnets,ect. and replacing the wire screen each and every time, I have receipts to show from lexus when I purchased these items. As for Do it yourselfers, my work is superior to the Local Roseville Lexus dealership, which quite frankly left my wife at risk of having catrostophic failures because of their great Factory trained work which I could have found in a High School Freshman auto shop. The noise was not on my RX300 when I purchased it and only appeared its ugly noise before the failure. We are just trying to save this poor gentleman some grief by having the problem addressed or as RX NC said unload the car, and maybe find a FWD RX300 that doesn't seem to experience the early failures. I have worked very hard all my life I will be d#$%^ if I will accept the $4300 bill on a Luxuary car as normal after such a low mileage. Good thing there are those of us willing to warn others of such a costly mistake to their wallet.

Thanks so far for the great information. I decided to record the sound both inside and outside the vehicle. For half of the audio, I am inside the car, for the second half outside. For the last section of the audio, I taped the recorder to the rear fender, next to the wheel where the sound can be heard the most, although it seems to be comming from both ends. It sounds like a jet turbine engine turning off. One other note... The car had new brake pads put on at Carmax, but I do not think this is the problem. I am taking it back there on Monday, where they will exchange it for something else. Does the 2wd have the same problems or just the AWD? Thats what I think we would exchange it for.

Audio of Sound

Tom

Are you currently located in Orlando, Florida?

If so, why would you want an AWD?

If you bought this AWD in Florida my guess is that all the heat made the transmission fail. That's why you hardly EVER see an AWD down south.

Get a front wheel drive (FWD) Rx300 if you are down south. You wont need the AWD unless you're going off-road, and if you ARE, then dont get an RX at all LOL

I would never get an AWD if i lived where there was never an snow. That's all the AWD is good for anyway on the Rx300.

Blue stu I used type IV fluid every change. Oh I agree with Lex Kid, FWD is perfect for Florida and any sunbelt state. If you read the threads Heat and commute may very well affect the reliability of the AWD. See if car max can find you the right color in FWD or find a different type vehicle, ie Toyota 4runner or Accura MDX.

Bluestu's blanket statements claiming that those of us who have experienced transmission failures in our all-wheel-drive RX300s have not taken proper care of our transmissions are ignorantly incorrect. I take better care of ALL of my vehicles than any service department (including Lexus) will.

There is no question that the all-wheel-drive version of the RX300 has experienced a higher degree of transmission problems than what should be expected from a vehicle that costs as much as it does. Even some of the folks on this site who are big fans of their RX300s have acknowledged that the failure rate may be as high as 20% approaching 100,000 miles. A 20% failure rate of an automatic transmission by ANY manufacturer at such a mileage level is totally unacceptable and certainly merits a recall, but don't hold your breath waiting for Lexus to step up to the plate on this issue.

If you decide to keep this vehicle, you should bear these warnings in mind:

1. Keep the transmission fluid clean with drain-and-fills at least every 30,000 miles. Some owners choose to do these every 15,000 miles.

2. Use only Toyota Type T-IV transmission fluid. I don't believe it is any better than other options such as Amsoil or other synthetics and in fact it may not even be as good, but it keeps you protected from a legal standpoint with Lexus if your transmission does fail.

3. Those of us on this site who warn folks about these transmissions are not alarmists and we do NOT neglect our vehicles. We've been through these problems first-hand and we speak from years of experience. I've owned more than twenty vehicles over the past 35 years and my wife's RX300 has been by far the most troublesome even though it is babied like no other we've owned. When we reach the point where I'm willing to swallow the depreciation on this thing at what will probably be around 130,000 miles, it is outta here before you can blink an eye and you can bet that there won't be another Lexus SUV in our garage.

Best wishes to you in resolving your dilemma in whatever way you see fit to do so. But you certainly need to be aware of the negatives just as much as the positives, and the RX series has its share of negatives with transmission problems in the all-wheel-drive configuration leading the way....

What color are you looking for? you can contact all lexus dealers in your area and ask them to "find" it for you. That's what i did when we were looking for an 03 dark bue WITH navigation. You have NO idea how rare that is, and they found it for me!

Definitely go for a FWD if you live down south.