Hyper Voltage Regulator Hp Gains And Performance?

JIBBBY

I was wondering if anyone knows if these voltage regulators really do anything, or is it just a fancy name for a capacitor? Company claims few hp gains, steady flow electric flow, headlights wont flicker, stronger ignition firing, etc.. What do you guys think did I waste my money? If I did it looks nice anyway, it blinks and what not.

I already have a capacitor next to my nos bottle.

post-13978-1133409971_thumb.jpg

post-13978-1133410086_thumb.jpg

If it doesn't say turbo or blower; you won't notice a difference.

Any performance mod that you can do for under $2,000 probably will only make you go faster when your by yourself, day-dreaming.

That is just plain stupid to say that any upgrade will provide no yields.

On any car over 5 years it is a good idea to look at the grounds. You will never gain any power from the kits but will reclaim lost horsepower from degraded wires.

Now do a search for the rest of the info already posted in detail.

How much HP will you really gain from an earthing kit? Certainly not anything will be noticable on a everyday driver, which it seems like most of the members in this forum are. I've noticed that most of the of the mods discussed in this forum are stupid penny pinching (cutting the airbox) procedures that decrease the value of the of ride. I love the SC as much as the next guy but cheesy uprades are about as good as putting little LEDs in your windshield wiper squirters. Save your money and do it right. Stock is better than !Removed!.

Penny pinching mods do give you hp if you do enough of them. These are mine that made a difference-

1992 sc400-

Dragon Torque Converter- no hp gains but transfers immediately power to the rear wheels from a dead stop. Burn outs no problem.

2 1/2 exhaust piping. magnaflow cat, megan N1 mufflers- Nice hp gain noticed.

Intake- Complete custom job, no real noticealbe gains except maybe at high rpm

Nos- 100hp+ That is a big difference, allows me to race and hang with most sports cars.

Supra LSD, larger tires and 18" rims- no hp gains but provides better traction off the line.

Apexi piggyback ECU- 15-20hp gains. Notice the hp gains and the gas consuption as well.

-S@S headers are ordered and on the way, and I am currently installing a 2" dual flex-a-lite electric fan and disabling the oil driven hydraulic fan which should free up 10hp or so. Headers 15-20hp, I am Considering some Kelford cams which would give me around 45hp gains.

So you can gain horses without airforced induction, and I am living proof of that. Although I would not mind a twin screw whimmple supercharger in the future. I first have tp rebuilt the internals to handle the massive hp and nos if I want to do that.

I am working towards that and freeing up room for one with the electric fan install. Those intercoolers take up room.

See ya

Can I get a hallelujah!

Is that you Monarch?

SK is right on this one.

Since Geoff is so smart but did not read my post as he must have made up his mind already.

Here is what i said previously.

On any car over 5 years it is a good idea to look at the grounds. You will never gain any power from the kits but will reclaim lost horsepower from degraded wires.[/quote]

now please read carefully Geoff

Sk performance- I am taking your advise and changing out my ground wires, I posted on another forum and the experts seem to agree with you. Besides I checked my grounds they are looking pretty old, crusty, crispy and funky what ever you want to call it. It can't hurt it can only help. Thanks for the tip, SK! You da man!

Since Geoff is so smart but did not read my post as he must have made up his mind already.

On any car over 5 years it is a good idea to look at the grounds. You will never gain any power from the kits but will reclaim lost horsepower from degraded wires.[/quote]

In theory, your degraded wires comment makes sense. But will you ever really know? Probably not. Save the $100 bucks and put in in some sort of interest bearing account and in 20 years go out and pick up your turbo. :D

In theory???

I guess then, since you have never replaced any then you would not know the benefits or be able to comment on them.

I get into this argument with members all the time who never bother to think about the possibilities before continuing with " oh that's stupid" but are clueless as to why .

I have done many cars older than 5 years with this simple maintenance replacement.

No one ever says it will make your car faster if they are being truthful but why throw money at gaining HP when you lost ones you had already for an easy fix.

I remember in the old days we used to add capacitor discharge systems to the ignition to increase spark potential, but what in the heck is a voltage regulator going to do? The theory on the CD systems was to increase and keep the spark at a higher potential when the generator was not putting out as much at low rpm. The CD system did appear to make the spark better and the points no longer took the current load and would not burn up as fast. The points became a triggering device for the CD system which provided input to a better coil and hence a better spark.... When the inductance distributer was launched the CD sytem became opsolete. But putting Capacitors on the 12v system would only have the effect of producing cleaner 12v dc as the alternator does not produce a clean dc voltage like a battery does. It has ripple. And so there is my two cents worth. Have a great evening and congradulate me on the birth of my fourth grandbaby this evening, 7lbs 3oz baby girl, and may I say quite gorgous.

I remember in the old days we used to add capacitor discharge systems to the ignition to increase spark potential, but what in the heck is a voltage regulator going to do?  The theory on the CD systems was to increase and keep the spark at a higher potential when the generator was not putting out as much at low rpm.  The CD system did appear to make the spark better and the points no longer took the current load and would not burn up as fast.  The points became a triggering device for the CD system which provided input to a better coil and hence a better spark.... When the inductance distributer was launched the CD sytem became opsolete.  But putting Capacitors on the 12v system would only have the effect of producing cleaner 12v dc as the alternator does not produce a clean dc voltage like a battery does.  It has ripple.  And so there is my two cents worth. Have a great evening and congradulate me on the birth of my fourth grandbaby this evening, 7lbs 3oz  baby girl, and may I say quite gorgous.

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!!!! Have a cigar, Or a :cheers: Maybe another future Indy driver?

OK- So out of all this I've come to the conclusion that the hyper voltage regulator that I have is probably more show then go. Also ground wires get old and lose their potency, and the $100 although put in an interest earning account may yeild the funds necessary for a serious mod in 20 years from now may be true, however in 20 years I will probably be driving a lincoln town car or Cadilac, or even a luxury hybrid, man that sounds crazy. So I think I will take SK's advise and waste the $100 on the neg wire set.

Thanks people.

Spend $10-30 and make your own wires with new gold terminals and all for much less and no difference.

Most the kits comprise a new path for grounds . I prefer taking the existing ones and refreshing them . As adding new power lines can lead to ground loop noise .